and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

5 hours ago, Parley said:

Have a listen to this expert.

All very interesting......he doesn't say much about mortality rates other than they could be less than 1% or as much as 4%......he speaks mostly about dealing with the spread of infection and how easy it spreads.....how to contain etc....it.......the fact that children show vastly less symptoms than adults.....in some cases they show no symptoms at all  but are just as likely to catch the virus and spread it.......you cannot put a number on the mortality of this virus because although we have large numbers of known cases that have been diagnosed there will  likely be large numbers of unknown cases that have not been diagnosed and probably never will.......interestingly he is also the CEO for CEPI......"the most frightening disease he has ever encountered in his career"......really?

• Like 2

Further news about the brawling screeching women arguing over loo rolls.  They are the mother and daughter with the loaded trolley.

Today the two Bankstown women, aged 23 and 60, were issued court attendance notices for affray.

Both are due to appear at Bankstown Local Court on April 28.

• Like 3

Sensible article.

OH MY WORD: Why is there such a panic over coronavirus when so many in Scotland die of flu?

I can’t work out why COVID-19 is given such close focus when from December to March 2017-18 there were 810 deaths in Scotland (gov.uk figures) attributed to influenza or pneumonia. I’ll give the warnings the fullest respect, of course, but there is clearly something I don’t understand about this germ.

Perhaps my lack of understanding is illustrated by words like “germ”. It is a good example of the difference between the precise terms scientists use in laboratories compared to the words that we, the general public, bandy to interpret the complicated work done in such places.

Germ is from the Latin “germen”, meaning offshoot, sprout, foetus. It has been part of our language since 1644. Back then it described any small organism such as the kernel inside a seed husk. We still say wheat germ.

You can see why, centuries later, germ sounded apt when folk sought to understand the newly revealed concept of an invasion by entities too small to see. A tiny living thing, they reasoned, became planted inside us and grew.

Microbe, another common word, isn’t a scientific term either. It was coined by Louis Pasteur (who invented pasteurisation) to explain his work. A modern scientist would use “pathogen” to describe a disease-producing microorganism.

I also have a bee in my bunnet about the definition of the word “pandemic” during all this. To my simple mind the word’s roots are pan (all) and demos (people). Therefore a pandemic is a disease all people on earth have contracted. And that isn’t what has happened. Yet.

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Toots said:

Further news about the brawling screeching women arguing over loo rolls.  They are the mother and daughter with the loaded trolley.

Today the two Bankstown women, aged 23 and 60, were issued court attendance notices for affray.

Both are due to appear at Bankstown Local Court on April 28.

Only in Bankstown.Setting the example for all bogan suburbs in Austraia, as usual.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Only in Bankstown.Setting the example for all bogan suburbs in Austraia, as usual.

Yes, I didn't think it would be Mosman or Double Bay.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kungfustu said:

All very interesting......he doesn't say much about mortality rates other than they could be less than 1% or as much as 4%......he speaks mostly about dealing with the spread of infection and how easy it spreads.....how to contain etc....it.......the fact that children show vastly less symptoms than adults.....in some cases they show no symptoms at all  but are just as likely to catch the virus and spread it.......you cannot put a number on the mortality of this virus because although we have large numbers of known cases that have been diagnosed there will  likely be large numbers of unknown cases that have not been diagnosed and probably never will.......interestingly he is also the CEO for CEPI......"the most frightening disease he has ever encountered in his career"......really?

He obviously wasn't around when AIDS started.  He sounds like a scare mongerer.  COVID-19 is another flu virus.  Not at all nice and seems deadly for the frail and very elderly but get a grip.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

He obviously wasn't around when AIDS started.  He sounds like a scare mongerer.  COVID-19 is another flu virus.  Not at all nice and seems deadly for the frail and very elderly but get a grip.

Keep us real Toots. We appreciate your qualified insights. 

6 hours ago, Toots said:

Ten times higher mortality rate than ‘the flu’ 

• Like 1

I’m quite surprised people are still likening this to flu. Surely you have to accept this is more than that. Italy has quarantined 16 million people and there has been 366 deaths there, 133 in just one day. The UK figures of people that have tested positive has gone from 41 to nearly 300 within days. Countries don’t quarantine millions of people and stop flights in and out of their country for the flu. They don’t quarantine huge cruise ships and stop people leaving them. These actions have an enormous negative effect on the economy, not to mention frightening people and there’s no way they would do that unless they were desperate to try and stop it.  Do I spend my days worrying about it, not one bit. I continue to do what I always do, life carries on. I went to a very busy shopping centre today, wouldn’t cross my mind to change anything. But I don’t think it’s just like the flu, it’s more than that. 

• Like 3

As the man said. 3 weeks ago Italy had 3 cases. 3 weeks later they had 3000 cases.

What will USA be like in one month I wonder ?

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m quite surprised people are still likening this to flu. Surely you have to accept this is more than that. Italy has quarantined 16 million people and there has been 366 deaths there, 133 in just one day. The UK figures of people that have tested positive has gone from 41 to nearly 300 within days. Countries don’t quarantine millions of people and stop flights in and out of their country for the flu. They don’t quarantine huge cruise ships and stop people leaving them. These actions have an enormous negative effect on the economy, not to mention frightening people and there’s no way they would do that unless they were desperate to try and stop it.  Do I spend my days worrying about it, not one bit. I continue to do what I always do, life carries on. I went to a very busy shopping centre today, wouldn’t cross my mind to change anything. But I don’t think it’s just like the flu, it’s more than that. 

I must say though. I still go out. But i am trying not to touch my face and I am washing my hands and hand sanitizing more than i used to.

so i have changed my behaviour.

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

I must say though. I still go out. But i am trying not to touch my face and I am washing my hands and hand sanitizing more than i used to.

so i have changed my behaviour.

I have been using hand sanitizer at work, rarely bothered before but I have a bottle of it on my desk now. I’m always washing my hands anyway but have been giving them an extra long wash.  Apart from that life goes on as normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

It is a lot like flu except there is no vaccine.  The quarantines are to slow the spread of the disease to protect vulnerable people and prevent a huge strain on the healthcare systems.  The chances are the large proportion of people that caught the virus would not need any hospital care but a percentage would.  If 6 million people all had the virus at the same time and just 10% of those needed hospital treatment the healthcare system would be completely overwhelmed  and unable to cope.  

• Like 3

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

1 minute ago, Tulip1 said:

I have been using hand sanitizer at work, rarely bothered before but I have a bottle of it on my desk now. I’m always washing my hands anyway but have been giving them an extra long wash.  Apart from that life goes on as normal. 

Do hand sanitizers work against viruses?  Genuine question as I really don’t know.

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

1 minute ago, NicF said:

Do hand sanitizers work against viruses?  Genuine question as I really don’t know.

Yes they do.But need to be 60% alcohol content.

• Like 1

Just now, NicF said:

The advice is a good wash with soap and water is by far the best but if you don’t have that then the sanitizers are better than nothing. I saw a thing about it and I can’t remember exact figures but it was something like soap and water gets rid of 95%, sanitizer 50%.  I can’t always just leave my desk at work so a top up of sanitizer throughout the day helps a bit. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Toots said:

I think he says that because other scary diseases like AIDS and Ebola have been limited to a specific group of people or geography.

Unless you lived in West Africa you were never going to catch Ebola. Unless you were a homosexual man or intravenous drug taker you weren't going to get AIDS.

COVID-19 is indiscriminate spreading around the whole world, with no vaccine. Even if a 1% death rate, hundreds of millions could potentially die.

47 minutes ago, Parley said:

I think he says that because other scary diseases like AIDS and Ebola have been limited to a specific group of people or geography.

Unless you lived in West Africa you were never going to catch Ebola. Unless you were a homosexual man or intravenous drug taker you weren't going to get AIDS.

COVID-19 is indiscriminate spreading around the whole world, with no vaccine. Even if a 1% death rate, hundreds of millions could potentially die.

I doubt that hundreds of millions are going to die.  The COVID-19 manifests in some cases similar to a cold and in some cases like the flu.  The elderly and infirm or people with a dodgy immune system are the ones to worry about.  Any secondary infections which could be serious will be treated with antibiotics which were unavailable in the era of the 1918 - 1920 Spanish flu pandemic.

• Like 1

Another school in Sydney just closed according to reports. 2 ,Yr 10 kids have tested positive but had already been in contact with many others students. If this is another strain of flu/ cold why are all these lock downs / closures not common place ? 

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

8 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Another school in Sydney just closed according to reports. 2 ,Yr 10 kids have tested positive but had already been in contact with many others students. If this is another strain of flu/ cold why are all these lock downs / closures not common place ? 

Cal x

Schools are community gathering places where large numbers of people are in proximity to one another and respiratory infections can easily spread among young people and adults alike. Shutting them down can be a key part of slowing the spread of easily transmissible viruses so that hospitals are not overrun with sick people and it can help to buy time to allow for the development of antiviral medications, medical treatments or a vaccine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Ebola is not restricted to West Africa, DR Congo also reported many cases. Also AIDS was already around as early as the 1960’s in Zambia when I lived there, and perhaps you aren’t aware of how many women have been affected by men with aids especially I think in Botswana by infected men passing through. Certainly not only affecting those you mentioned. 

• Like 1

Ebola is not restricted to West Africa, DR Congo also reported many cases. Also AIDS was already around as early as the 1960’s in Zambia when I lived there, and perhaps you aren’t aware of how many women have been affected by men with aids especially I think in Botswana by infected men passing through. Certainly not only affecting those you mentioned. 

You were in Zambia? Which part? Bilharzia used to be the big worry in the 60/70’s if memory serves....

20 minutes ago, ssiri said:

You were in Zambia? Which part? Bilharzia used to be the big worry in the 60/70’s if memory serves....

I was in Lusaka in 1969, I was an air hostess for Zambia Airways. I had been with British Eagle at Heathrow, which ceased operating late 1968, they had leased two BAC 1-11 aircraft from Zambia Airways, so I went there with all the necessary paperwork to train everyone.

Met my husband there who was seconded to their Airforce from the RAF. Many tales to tell from my time there.

What were you doing there? 

• Like 1

I was in Lusaka in 1969, I was an air hostess for Zambia Airways. I had been with British Eagle at Heathrow, which ceased operating late 1968, they had leased two BAC 1-11 aircraft from Zambia Airways, so I went there with all the necessary paperwork to train everyone.
Met my husband there who was seconded to their Airforce from the RAF. Many tales to tell from my time there.
What were you doing there? 

There from 75-83, in Education. Kitwe and Lusaka:

Helen Kaunda
Lake Road
Munali