Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

Recommended Posts

Tasmania has confirmed its first case of coronavirus.

On Monday, Premier Peter Gutwein announced a 40-year-old man who flew from Iran to Tasmania had tested positive for the virus.

"The travel was undertaken before the [Iran] travel ban was put in place on Sunday. He has had limited movement within the community and had taken all necessary precautions including self-isolation"  Mr Gutwein said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, calNgary said:

It was reported yesterday that someone in my old home town in the UK has tested positive and also a member of staff from a Cancer Clinic. I truly hope they hadnt been into work or in contact with any work colleagues as id guess that's one of the worst places it could spread.

Reports are also just coming in here that someone living inner city Brisbane has also tested positive with their housemate currently undergoing testing. Guess thats my city escape postponed for a while.

  Cal x

I am seriously beginning to doubt that we can continue to live normal lives without coming into contact with an infected person without even being aware of it eventually.

I am on an Uber drivers group and quite a few are expressing concerns (particularly those that do airport pick-ups).

  • Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toilet rolls packs at Costco are limited to one per transaction, as panic buying is causing supply problems  

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Toilet rolls packs at Costco are limited to one per transaction, as panic buying is causing supply problems  

So that will be why the shelves of toilet rolls in Woolys were almost empty, too this morning.. lol

 Cal x

  • Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corona virus........Its coming to a town near you........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

5e32faee24306a25ce0db2ca-1200.png?fbclid
 

Nit sure how accurate above figures are 

Edited by Rallyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

5e32faee24306a25ce0db2ca-1200.png?fbclid
 

Nit sure how accurate above figures are 

Very out of date for Corona Virus. A lot has happened since end of January.

Now there are at least 90000 cases and 3000 deaths. 

40 cases in Australia.

Edited by Parley
  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 cases now in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not wanting to be too pessimistic about it all, but the official lines/received wisdom of "it's no worse than seasonal flu" and "it's only old folks who have to worry" seems massively oversimplistic, and ignores what happens if it gets to the point of overwhelming the available medical care.

The massive difference between Covin19 and seasonal flu is the proportion of cases which require hospital treatment. With seasonal flu, it's around 0.2%, with Covin19 its around 20%, and of those about 40% require intensive care.

In China the overall mortality rate currently stands at about 2.1%, but that's massively skewed by provinces where the heathcare system has reached saturation - mortality in Wuhan stands at around 4.9%, primarily because lots of those who need hospital treatment simply can't get it. That figure also probably underestimates the true mortality rate because lots of people are either dying in their homes and haven't been reported, or have their deaths attributed to other things.

Now consider the UK - if there was an 8% infection rate (comparable to seasonal flu, but significantly below the 40-70% rate being predicted by some or the more pessimistic epidemiologists), that would be 5.4 million people infected, of which around 1.1 million would require hospital treatment. And by hospital treatment, we're talking 3-6 weeks isolated. The total stock of NHS beds in 140,000. It is very conceivable that at an 8% infection rate, the mortality rate would be 5-10%, not taking into account all the knock on effects of the NHS being unable to treat any other potentially fatal illnesses (or the resultant effect on supply chains for drugs for currently manageable conditions).

As that infection rate rises, so does the mortality rate. In the worst case scenario of a 70% infection rate, and a 7.6% mortality rate, that's 3.5 million deaths from Covin19 directly, plus another 2.5 million+ as a result of lack of available treatment for other illnesses.



If the near worst case or worst case projection were to hit, they would need to co-opt private medical facilities, beds etc.

If its possible to build makeshift hospital locations as the Chinese did, they should prepare to do it.

It just depends if they have a plan B, C and D, and can enact it, should they need. To include minimising people commuting/traveling etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World health officials said Tuesday the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, calNgary said:

So that will be why the shelves of toilet rolls in Woolys were almost empty, too this morning.. lol

 Cal x

yes , most Coles and Woolworths toilet rolls and hand sanitizer shelves are empty around Perth...…..Spudshed has shit loads left though ……..


Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

5e32faee24306a25ce0db2ca-1200.png?fbclid
 

Nit sure how accurate above figures are 

A media conference was just on Channel 7 and it said so far the figures are 

- 92,000 reported cases

- 3100 deaths

- active in 78 countries

Looks like the document you shared is about 82,000 short of latest reports.

       Cal x

 


If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Parley said:

World health officials said Tuesday the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

Those who trivialised it look rather silly now and should feel somewhat responsible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this happening in Australia?

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, calNgary said:

A media conference was just on Channel 7 and it said so far the figures are 

- 92,000 reported cases

- 3100 deaths

- active in 78 countries

Looks like the document you shared is about 82,000 short of latest reports.

       Cal x

 

As said not sure on figures, I knew the corna was out but what about the others are these accurate? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 3 local supermarkets have sold out of toilet paper, tissues, paper towels and tinned food is down to half a shelf full. It is like a war zone, ridiculous. My SIL has a whole room in his house stocked up with enough food for a few months. Crazy. I rang my granddaughter down in Gippsland and she said it was even worse down there, no nappies or anything. What is happening? I was brought up in London post WWar 2 and it wasn’t as bad as this even with rationing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

Is this happening in Australia?

 

Yes 🤣

News reports of someone pulling a knife in the big paper aisle of a Sydney supermarket.

 

FB_IMG_1583297191544.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simmo said:

Is this happening in Australia?

 

Yes it is ridiculous. I am getting paranoid now. I have about 12 rolls and went to 2 Woolies today and none in either.

People are buying 10 times what they need of toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc and nothing left.

I do have paper kitchen towel as a backup plan.

People are assuming it is going to be like Mad Max 6. Every man for himself soon.

Edited by Parley

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes it is ridiculous. I am getting paranoid now. I have about 12 rolls and went to 2 Woolies today and none in either.

People are buying 10 times what they need of toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc and nothing left.

I do have paper kitchen towel as a backup plan.

People are assuming it is going to be like Mad Max 6. Every man for himself soon.

I just went into Tesco (for some nuts) and all the sanitizer gel is sold out but plenty of toilet roll.

Let me know if I have to send you some.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes it is ridiculous. I am getting paranoid now. I have about 12 rolls and went to 2 Woolies today and none in either.

People are buying 10 times what they need of toilet paper, hand sanitizer etc and nothing left.

I do have paper kitchen towel as a backup plan.

People are assuming it is going to be like Mad Max 6. Every man for himself soon.

Don't panic Parley you'll be pleased to hear toilet paper manufacturers in Australia say the country will be spared from a shortage even though panicking shoppers are buying extra supplies from big supermarket chains amid coronavirus outbreak fears.

Kimberly-Clark, the United States conglomerate which makes the Kleenex brand of toilet paper and tissues said there had been an increase in demand and that its large plant at Millicent in South Australia had stepped up production.

"Australian consumers should be assured of Sorbent Paper’s ability to maintain ample supply of its tissue products of toilet paper, facial tissues, paper towel and wipes to its retail customers.

"Some products may have been depleted from shelves, but replenishment will catch up and there will be no shortage of supply from Sorbent's Australian production.''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Toots said:

Don't panic Parley you'll be pleased to hear toilet paper manufacturers in Australia say the country will be spared from a shortage even though panicking shoppers are buying extra supplies from big supermarket chains amid coronavirus outbreak fears.

Kimberly-Clark, the United States conglomerate which makes the Kleenex brand of toilet paper and tissues said there had been an increase in demand and that its large plant at Millicent in South Australia had stepped up production.

"Australian consumers should be assured of Sorbent Paper’s ability to maintain ample supply of its tissue products of toilet paper, facial tissues, paper towel and wipes to its retail customers.

"Some products may have been depleted from shelves, but replenishment will catch up and there will be no shortage of supply from Sorbent's Australian production.''

True but if everyone keeps panic buying they may not be able to make enough.

  • Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Parley said:

True but if everyone keeps panic buying they may not be able to make enough.

Of course they will.  Don't you go worrying about it so much.  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2020 at 16:28, Bulya said:

Toilet rolls packs at Costco are limited to one per transaction, as panic buying is causing supply problems  

Costco here had sold out on Monday, even the eggs were gone 😂😂 There are no toilet rolls in any shop or supermarket within a 56km radius of us from what is being reported. I wouldn’t mind but the toilet roll is made in Australia. 


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local stores

 C83C5294-FB4F-42C1-9C52-B1B5ADD77DE6.jpeg

 

B574CF4E-BB41-414B-8559-9561059AF67A.jpeg

 

A40F536E-56E4-494C-A250-87040A879D87.jpeg

 


 

 

  • Confused 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why we are all without 🙄

 

3037E407-671D-4FB0-8A71-14F9AA4F3243.jpeg

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×