You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

The extra risk over the next few months is that people may get the double whammy,

Regular flu and corona virus as well.

Australia has invoked the plan for a pandemic of corona virus.

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

So you would go to a doctors surgery and put the elderly, sick and inferm not forgetting young children at risk including your Dr. Yet in your other post you mentioned you would place yourself in quarantine. 

Thankfully the Dr’s up here have signs up at the main entrance asking you to STOP and call them before entering if you are showing symptoms. Another clinic placed masks and hand sanitizers in the hall for those who are showing flu like symptoms. 

I am one who probably won’t make it if caught, so if I show flu like symptoms. I won’t be putting anyone at risk and will just stay home. 

Received this by text from our GP surgery. 

CORONAVIRUS ALERT
If you have travelled abroad recently or associated with anyone that has travelled abroad AND you are experiencing symptoms (however mild) of: cough, fever or shortness of breath, CALL NHS 111 for advice.
DO NOT ATTEND THE PRACTICE. Thank you for your cooperation.

Obvious really, who would go into a busy doctors surgery if they thought they msy have it?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ssiri said:

Thats my Doctor’s (and my local surgery’s) advice. So forgive me, but i’ll be taking his advice over that if any PIO advice or opinion.

i’d imagine the medical health professionals, know what they are doing, on the ground and take precautions, to enable them to give that advice.

Don’t forget the travel bans and quarantine routines here are quite stringent already. This is Australia. There is a detention centre set up, on Christmas Island as quarantine.

So your doctor and local surgery advises people who have the symptoms to attend a busy GP surgery and spread it about?  Not only would that be madness as they are suggesting something that will put others and themselves at harm but if that was my doctor I’d be questioning that. How do you know that’s their advice? Is it on their website? Have they contacted  patients saying that or is that what you assume?  I’m just curious as it’s very odd. 

• Like 1

My DD who is 16, started yesterday with what i said was a cold, today she cant eat as her tonsils are so swollen and throat sore. She hasnt traveled lately and non of her school friends seem to have it, so i really dont think its Corona, even though i too am one who probably wouldn't make it due to an auto immune disease. I did keep her off school today to try and prevent her spreading it as some teachers suggested she went home yesterday, but i do think its just cold/ flu. At the end of the day how cautious should we be?.

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

So your doctor and local surgery advises people who have the symptoms to attend a busy GP surgery and spread it about?  Not only would that be madness as they are suggesting something that will put others and themselves at harm but if that was my doctor I’d be questioning that. How do you know that’s their advice? Is it on their website? Have they contacted  patients saying that or is that what you assume?  I’m just curious as it’s very odd. 

Here is the Federal and State Govt advice:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus.aspx

https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov

Most people, I know, myself included call for standard or emergency appointments, or ask if a slot has opened up and get triaged on the phone before being given an appointment/asked to come/walk in.

What i find odd is that people assume ‘seeing your doctor’ means just rocking up to your GPs surgery without an appointment or calling ahead. The basic (not Covid19) advice from the NHS has always been to call your GP for an appointment and not to clog up A&E. its common sense. Is that what people you know do, just rock up at the GP or A&E?

There is nothing worse than sitting in a waiting room full of sick people, even for the short time of the appointment. Damned if i’m going to rock up to my surgery or A&E to sit about for hours and hours on the of chance. Id rather pull my own finger nails out instead.

Having attended my surgery about three weeks ago here in Sydney with an emergency appointment, for what turned out to be heat exhaustion (during the really hot Sydney weekend in late Jan/earlyFeb), there were no signs up other than standard ones. I haven’t been since so have no idea what signage there.

So if it wasn’t clear before, I’d seek medical advice from my Doctor, and if advised to quarantine myself, I will.

As for my doctor, here, he has diagnosed several conditions, given me treatment plans that have mean’t they are now cured/prevented from occuring. Conditions the NHS could not even bother to investigate ( with what was a simple blood test), because in Austerity Britain the GPs were too busy being gate keepers rather than referring me for blood tests etc. especially with them knowing my family history.

So he is a darn good GP and I have him to than for catching and preventing me from getting some serious conditions (the ones where you have to manage your diet, exercise, cut the alcohol down etc.). And he tests me regularly to ensure nothing has changed.

My partner goes to the same surgery and GP and like me can’t recommend him highly enough.

Further Update

The Australian Government has declared that Coronavirus is at Pandemic stage.  The Govt has established the following controls , where circumstances require an upscaling of the current response strategies, viz;

The scope of the emergency response will be escalated according to the spread of the disease. In the worst case, that would include:

• Cancelling large gatherings
  • People having to work from home
  • Elective surgeries being suspended
  • Intensive care bed numbers increased
  • Mortuary services prioritised
  • Aged care homes locked down
  • Childcare centres closed

In the immediate sense however,  travel bans and conditions for travellers are now subject to the following :

The ban means foreign nationals who have been in mainland China are not allowed into Australia for 14 days from the time they left China.

Australian citizens and permanent residents are able to enter Australia but need to isolate themselves for a fortnight.

Edited by Dusty Plains

My DD who is 16, started yesterday with what i said was a cold, today she cant eat as her tonsils are so swollen and throat sore. She hasnt traveled lately and non of her school friends seem to have it, so i really dont think its Corona, even though i too am one who probably wouldn't make it due to an auto immune disease. I did keep her off school today to try and prevent her spreading it as some teachers suggested she went home yesterday, but i do think its just cold/ flu. At the end of the day how cautious should we be?.
 Cal x

Call tour doctor, describe the symptoms and book an appointment if that is what they advise. Also, if symptoms get worse
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

They have started to get cases of “community spread” in some countries where people have had no known contact with travel etc. Maybe call your GP and seek advice in terms of do they need to test her for their information. If she is a young, healthy thing she should recover staying at home whether she has it or not.

I personally would err on the side of caution, without panicking! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Most people, I know, myself included call for standard or emergency appointments, or ask if a slot has opened up and get triaged on the phone before being given an appointment/asked to come/walk in.

What i find odd is that people assume ‘seeing your doctor’ means just rocking up to your GPs surgery without an appointment or calling ahead. The basic (not Covid19) advice from the NHS has always been to call your GP for an appointment and not to clog up A&E. its common sense. Is that what people you know do, just rock up at the GP or A&E?

There is nothing worse than sitting in a waiting room full of sick people, even for the short time of the appointment. Damned if i’m going to rock up to my surgery or A&E to sit about for hours and hours on the of chance. Id rather pull my own finger nails out instead.

Having attended my surgery about three weeks ago here in Sydney with an emergency appointment, for what turned out to be heat exhaustion (during the really hot Sydney weekend in late Jan/earlyFeb), there were no signs up other than standard ones. I haven’t been since so have no idea what signage there.

So if it wasn’t clear before, I’d seek medical advice from my Doctor, and if advised to quarantine myself, I will.

As for my doctor, here, he has diagnosed several conditions, given me treatment plans that have mean’t they are now cured/prevented from occuring. Conditions the NHS could not even bother to investigate ( with what was a simple blood test), because in Austerity Britain the GPs were too busy being gate keepers rather than referring me for blood tests etc. especially with them knowing my family history.

So he is a darn good GP and I have him to than for catching and preventing me from getting some serious conditions (the ones where you have to manage your diet, exercise, cut the alcohol down etc.). And he tests me regularly to ensure nothing has changed.

My partner goes to the same surgery and GP and like me can’t recommend him highly enough.

You said “you would go to your Dr” you never mentioned “calling” your Dr’s Practice and that is why Tulip and myself questioned this. 
‘In the UK or even in Australia someone who is elderly, has a chronic/terminal illness or a young child would usually present to A and E if they were in a severe way with flu or pneumonia 

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

You look after yourself and make sure you don’t catch it whether it’s a cold or flu hun. Maybe call the nurse helpline and ask their advice. 

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Further Update
 The Australian Government has declared that Coronavirus is at Pandemic stage.  The Govt has established the following controls , where circumstances require an upscaling of the current response strategies, viz;

The scope of the emergency response will be escalated according to the spread of the disease. In the worst case, that would include:

• Cancelling large gatherings
  • People having to work from home
  • Elective surgeries being suspended
  • Intensive care bed numbers increased
  • Mortuary services prioritised
  • Aged care homes locked down
  • Childcare centres closed
In the immediate sense however,  travel bans and conditions for travellers are now subject to the following :

The ban means foreign nationals who have been in mainland China are not allowed into Australia for 14 days from the time they left China.

Australian citizens and permanent residents are able to enter Australia but need to isolate themselves for a fortnight.

What is the source for this, copy and paste job? Can you please share the link? The Federal health site and smart traveller website have no such declaration. The news reports indicate that it is ‘likely’ to turn into a pandemic and the Govt are planning accordingly - but no where has there been a declaration by the Australian Government that things have reached pandemic stage. That’s just liable to cause panic, making claims that don’t seem to be true.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/coronavirus-outbreak-live-italy-iran-record-covid-19-cases-as-virus-infects-thousands-around-globe-20200227-p544st.html

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/australia-s-covid-19-pandemic-plan-explained-20200227-p5450e

17 minutes ago, ssiri said:

What is the source for this, copy and paste job? Can you please share the link? The Federal health site and smart traveller website have no such declaration. The news reports indicate that it is ‘likely’ to turn into a pandemic and the Govt are planning accordingly - but no where has there been a declaration by the Australian Government that things have reached pandemic stage. That’s just liable to cause panic, making claims that don’t seem to be true.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/coronavirus-outbreak-live-italy-iran-record-covid-19-cases-as-virus-infects-thousands-around-globe-20200227-p544st.html

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/australia-s-covid-19-pandemic-plan-explained-20200227-p5450e

Do keep up will you.  Do your own research, its news all over the world.  Are you are Coronavirus Pandemic denier ??

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:
Do your own research. Are you are Coronavirus Pandemic denier ??

Here is the full article you have quoted from, I was able to find it. No where does it say that a pandemic has been declared, just that a plan is in place, and will be monitored and escalated ias needed. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-27/federal-government-coronavirus-pandemic-emergency-plan/12005734

I’ve posted Federal and (for NSW), state advice in a previously response. These would be the places to check for Government/ NSW state updates. I’d imagine other states have their own public health websites

You said “you would go to your Dr” you never mentioned “calling” your Dr’s Practice and that is why Tulip and myself questioned this. 
‘In the UK or even in Australia someone who is elderly, has a chronic/terminal illness or a young child would usually present to A and E if they were in a severe way with flu or pneumonia 

My response hopefully cleared up any assumptions.

I have an octogenarian parent, and they tend to call an ambulance or make an appointment (no they do not live with me, they aren’t in Australia).

My octogenarian inlaw parent who lives in Sydney about 15 minutes away from us, tends to have the ambulance called out too, for emergencies, or makes appointments with their GP. And they have a life out death condition that can escalate in a matter of a few short hours.

So my partner and I know a think or two about very elderly care.
Therein, to each his own, and clearly there are many options as there are ‘elderly’ people.

48 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Here is the full article you have quoted from, I was able to find it. No where does it say that a pandemic has been declared, just that a plan is in place, and will be monitored and escalated ias needed. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-27/federal-government-coronavirus-pandemic-emergency-plan/12005734

I’ve posted Federal and (for NSW), state advice in a previously response. These would be the places to check for Government/ NSW state updates. I’d imagine other states have their own public health websites

Yes... but, the  source was ( the ABC News)  at the very instant ( late afternoon Thursday Sydney time) that the Feds announced the measures to be implemented. The ABC  also added that there was "more to come" from the source, that I gave you which at the time was breaking news

PM Scott Morrison is quoted as saying that the Panndemic ......"ÏS UPON US" This is world news an example,:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8050045/Prime-Minister-Scott-Morrison...

So the Commonwealth Pandemic Plan has been activated. That particular plan along with other emergency plans is never intended to be implemented after the event. They are based  upon anticipation.

Its a Pandemic.

And here you and others were lecturing the best of us on here that coal-fired power stations were going to be our end. Pathetic. Now YOU are the new deniers.

At least i will die laughing.

Edited by Dusty Plains

46 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

So the Commonwealth Pandemic Plan has been activated. That particular plan a. They are based  upon anticipation.

Its a Pandemic.

At least i will die laughing.

Either you are anticipating it or it has arrived. Currently they are anticipating its arrival, so its not arrived yet. When the WHO declares one (which everyone believes they will), then it is a pandemic. Preparing for a pandemic and getting ready to escalate an existing plan is very different from claiming ‘its arrived already’.

9 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Either you are anticipating it or it has arrived. Currently they are anticipating its arrival, so its not arrived yet. When the WHO declares one (which everyone believes they will), then it is a pandemic. Preparing for a pandemic and getting ready to escalate an existing plan is very different from claiming ‘its arrived already’.

Pandemic denier?

This is fun. What a turn around on PIO. The shoe is on the other foot well and truly.

MAN-MADE PANDEMIC IS REAL. MAN-MADE CLIMATE CHANGE IS DEBATABLE AT BEST.

Edited by Dusty Plains

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Oh its real. Far greater in fact in the reality or otherwise of things, such as the debate on climate change. How do you feel now that you backed the wrong horse?  What was it you said, we were all "procrstinating"? And yet here you are being the very voice of procrastination  about Coronavirus Pandemic. Hopefully we are both wrong.

Edited by Dusty Plains

4 hours ago, ssiri said:

I doubt anyone would assume seeing your doctor means just rocking up as you put it.  As for the UK’s procedure on booking doctors appointments, I’d imagine it would be the same as yours. We would either book using the online booking system or phone the surgery.  Your GP certainly  does sound excellent and I would therefore not doubt for a minute his advice would be not to go to the doctors surgery.  The thing is @ssiri, you put you’d go to your doctors and we all know that to go somewhere is to visit. Now when I questioned that and mentioned about advice to ring not go you could have very easily thought oh I meant I’d ring, not just go and you could have just said oh yes that’s what I meant really, no issues, just a poor choice of wording which we all do sometimes. But no, you went onto say it was your doctors advice and the advice of the surgery etc.  When something else was said you fought back with the idea that in the UK we just rock up at doctors and on you went. Defence is the biggest form of attack but it wasn’t necessary. Just an oh yes that’s what I meant was enough.  You got there in the end, you’d ring not go.  That’s my last comment on it. 

• Like 1

The thing is [mention=256719]ssiri[/mention], you put you’d go to your doctors and we all know that to go somewhere is to visit.

Yes. To go somewhere is to visit. When I visit/ go somewhere, it is usually by invitation/reservation. We all know that when we go to visit someone or some place, it is usually with some thought, consultation with the other party and perhaps a purchase like a transport ticket/hotel room etc.

Or with friends and family, having spoken to them before hand, and planned the visit, not just turning up at their doorstep unannounced and uninvited. So it isn’t too much to consider that when someone visits someone/somewhere, they’ve made arrangements beforehand, to do so.

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

Yes. To go somewhere is to visit. When I visit/ go somewhere, it is usually by invitation/reservation. We all know that when we go to visit someone or some place, it is usually with some thought, consultation with the other party and perhaps a purchase like a transport ticket/hotel room etc.

Or with friends and family, having spoken to them before hand, and planned the visit, not just turning up at their doorstep unannounced and uninvited. So it isn’t too much to consider that when someone visits someone/somewhere, they’ve made arrangements beforehand, to do so.

Not in the Uk and not in Australia, if you are going somewhere it just means you are going, end of. If I said I’m going to the shops I wouldn’t call the shopping centre for a reservation, if I’m going to work it’s definitely not by invitation.

If I wanted to go to the Dr then I would call for an appointment. 

At the end of the day we know what you meant to say now which is all that matters.

Would you still travel? If you had your flights booked to Australia or back to the UK would you still risk it especially if you have to transit through Singapore which is the 6th largest outbreaks
‘I just read an article tonight about travel insurance and future holiday plans, it seems these insurance companies always have an excuse not to pay out.

Travellers need to be aware that their insurance company is unlikely to provide cover if their holiday is not directly affected, director of Compare Travel Insurance, Natalie Ball, told news.com.au.

“In most cases, travel insurance does not cover for fear or changes of mind,” Ms Ball said. “As well, many insurers exclude cover for pandemics and epidemics; events known in the mass media; and anything that you were aware of that may give rise to a claim at the time of purchase.

“Travel insurance policies vary, so you may be entitled for compensation should the Australian government DFAT issue a level-four, ‘do not travel’ travel warning for the country you are visiting. This would largely depend on which insurer you bought your policy with and when you purchased your cover. All customers are always entitled to lodge claims for formal review which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.”

Because DFAT have only advised against travel to China and parts of South Korea so far, if you do cancel your trip to other destinations you’re unlikely to be covered or get a refund from your service provider.

However, depending on when you purchased your policy, you may be eligible to claim for nonrecoverable expenses if the government upgraded its 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/how-coronavirus-will-impact-your-travel-plans/news-story/c94ad364072f3e7bab48e62236e274b2

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Would you still travel? If you had your flights booked to Australia or back to the UK would you still risk it especially if you have to transit through Singapore which is the 6th largest outbreaks
‘I just read an article tonight about travel insurance and future holiday plans, it seems these insurance companies always have an excuse not to pay out.

Travellers need to be aware that their insurance company is unlikely to provide cover if their holiday is not directly affected, director of Compare Travel Insurance, Natalie Ball, told news.com.au.

“In most cases, travel insurance does not cover for fear or changes of mind,” Ms Ball said. “As well, many insurers exclude cover for pandemics and epidemics; events known in the mass media; and anything that you were aware of that may give rise to a claim at the time of purchase.

“Travel insurance policies vary, so you may be entitled for compensation should the Australian government DFAT issue a level-four, ‘do not travel’ travel warning for the country you are visiting. This would largely depend on which insurer you bought your policy with and when you purchased your cover. All customers are always entitled to lodge claims for formal review which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.”

Because DFAT have only advised against travel to China and parts of South Korea so far, if you do cancel your trip to other destinations you’re unlikely to be covered or get a refund from your service provider.

However, depending on when you purchased your policy, you may be eligible to claim for nonrecoverable expenses if the government upgraded its 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/how-coronavirus-will-impact-your-travel-plans/news-story/c94ad364072f3e7bab48e62236e274b2

It’s something that’s on my mind a bit as I’m due to fly out to Australia in a months time. On my flight out I’m passing through Dubai airport. Only a 2 hour wait but still.... there’s some problems there with the virus at the moment.  I will keep monitoring the situation over the coming weeks, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Not in the Uk and not in Australia, if you are going somewhere it just means you are going, end of. If I said I’m going to the shops I wouldn’t call the shopping centre for a reservation, if I’m going to work it’s definitely not by invitation.

If I wanted to go to the Dr then I would call for an appointment. 

At the end of the day we know what you meant to say now which is all that matters.

Actually yes, in the UK people just don’t go any where. Visiting anywhere or anything has pre-conditions in most (not all) cases. Your example of a shop absolutely, spot on. But even work, unless self employed - is by mutual agreement, a contract (which effectively is pre-arranged even if the duration of it may be different to a one-off/irregular trip some where. All very meta, but my point is, Its still by invitation, which can be refused by either party, subject to the contract terms.

ok I get it. People may have assumed I meant something, which is fine and i may have clarified, my meaning to correct the assumption.

11 hours ago, ssiri said:

The difference in Australia is you have to pay to see your GP and for many of the services .
it’s completely different to uk 

you can’t compare the two services