You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

What a strange way to look at it. I have read that the vast majority of people under 50 would survive it, subject to no health issues and then the risk starts to slowly increase after that, getting higher the older you are, as with most things really. Being in my mid 50’s and healthy I therefore stand a very good chance of surviving it. But what about the older people and  people with poor health that I may pass it onto without realising? My elderly mum who is reliant on me for so much these days, my dear friend at work who’s a lot younger than me but has an auto immune disease and poor health.  To say there’s not much for people to be concerned about because the 4 there have recovered sounds rather uncaring. 

Please see my post. The one after yours. It may be strange to you, but thats my reasoning.

As for what i’d do if i’d contracted covid19, or presented symptoms - I’d go to my doctor, I’d let the authorities know, I’d tell them who I’ve been in contact with and quarantine myself. and what will be will then be. I’ve done my civic duty and thats the most sensible and responsible thing anyone can do. However, I refuse to panic and live my life as if under constant attack by everyone else around me.

At present, there is nothing further to see in NSW, and that may seen uncaring to you, but that’s you. Only you can be responsible for you.

• Like 1

What aren't we being told? I received a text message before attending a routine podiatry appointment today asking me not to attend if I had any of the symptoms of corona virus, which they listed. It must be pretty common now in this country if they need to do that.

4 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

What aren't we being told? I received a text message before attending a routine podiatry appointment today asking me not to attend if I had any of the symptoms of corona virus, which they listed. It must be pretty common now in this country if they need to do that.

They've had signs up in our doctor's surgery since the first cases were reported, saying the same thing. They've also had the message on their website since the first few days. it's just standard.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

22 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I was at the Dr's on Monday to get the results of blood tests and it was business as usual.  No text asking if I had symptoms etc.

• Like 1

This was at a place in the Eastern Health region. I know there are a couple of cases at Box Hill hospital, part of Eastern Health,  so maybe that is the reason?

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

The Dean Koontz book is quite creepily bizarre. 

Where has my post gone ?

• Confused 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

The Dean Koontz book is quite creepily bizarre. 

I read the book you are referring to years ago and like all his books it was on the creepy side.  Quite coincidental though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

Where has my post gone ?

The one with the picture of a book about 4 posts up? 

You started a new thread instead of a reply so it was merged with this one.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

Where has my post gone ?

Sorry found it - 

As I thought on day 1 - theres a lot more to this - that's why the governments of the world are panicking .

It only has a kill rate of 2.2% , but can it mutate ? Or is it resistant to antibiotics ?

All this bs about it starting in a market in wuhan .

I had an opinion early on, that it is a release of the virus ,either on purpose or accidentally ,by the chinese military , or those attached to the chinese military .

If you are young and / or  healthy , you have nothing to worry about .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

5 minutes ago, calNgary said:

The one with the picture of a book about 4 posts up? 

You started a new thread instead of a reply so it was merged with this one.

Cal x

Ok thanks cal 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

Please see my post. The one after yours. It may be strange to you, but thats my reasoning.

As for what i’d do if i’d contracted covid19, or presented symptoms - I’d go to my doctor, I’d let the authorities know, I’d tell them who I’ve been in contact with and quarantine myself. and what will be will then be. I’ve done my civic duty and thats the most sensible and responsible thing anyone can do. However, I refuse to panic and live my life as if under constant attack by everyone else around me.

At present, there is nothing further to see in NSW, and that may seen uncaring to you, but that’s you. Only you can be responsible for you.

Going to your doctor wouldn’t be the best idea as if you have it then they will catch it and other people at the surgery. Not sure if it’s different there but in the UK the guidelines are to ring a certain number which everyone knows about and they will instruct/guide you through what to do next. The one thing that you shouldn’t do is turn up at doctors/hospitals and spread it further. 

For some reason,  call it intuition , in early january , I thought iam going to block book our holidays for 2020 

My mom is becoming more dependent on us .

My dog , who I love beyond compare , is getting on now 

We need to be close really , anything can , and is likely to happen .

So I thought iam going to take all our holidays in england this year - that was before all this broke in the news - thank god I did .

Devon - london for a week - cornwall .

Usually we would be booking for northern italy - thank god we didnt - Milan,  is now one of the main areas in europe to be hit  

My daughters mates are currently  in tenerife, in the canary islands on holiday , and their hotel is under quarantine , they have been issued with face masks .

They will be there for an extended 14 days minimum .

• Sad 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

11 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Sorry found it - 

As I thought on day 1 - theres a lot more to this - that's why the governments of the world are panicking .

It only has a kill rate of 2.2% , but can it mutate ? Or is it resistant to antibiotics ?

I had an opinion early on, that it is a release of the virus ,either on purpose or accidentally ,by the chinese military , or those attached to the chinese military .

Conspiracy theories, accusations and myths are spreading faster than the coronavirus.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Sorry found it - 

Yes it's resistant to antibiotics - it's a virus and antibiotics don't work on viruses.  Never have and completely pointless giving them for viral infections.  The antibiotics should work on any secondary bacterial infections acquired though.

• Like 3

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Sorry found it - 

Its a virus. So yes, they do mutate and antibiotics don’t tend to work on flu like viruses, similar to the common cold

So thats nit unusual Thats why the winter flu jab has to be administered every year.

Don’t know if Covid19 has mutated, but id imagine those experts at the front line of rhis are checking, testing and monitoring for every possibility.

Going to your doctor wouldn’t be the best idea as if you have it then they will catch it and other people at the surgery. Not sure if it’s different there but in the UK the guidelines are to ring a certain number which everyone knows about and they will instruct/guide you through what to do next. The one thing that you shouldn’t do is turn up at doctors/hospitals and spread it further. 

Thats my Doctor’s (and my local surgery’s) advice. So forgive me, but i’ll be taking his advice over that if any PIO advice or opinion.

i’d imagine the medical health professionals, know what they are doing, on the ground and take precautions, to enable them to give that advice.

Don’t forget the travel bans and quarantine routines here are quite stringent already. This is Australia. There is a detention centre set up, on Christmas Island as quarantine.

• Haha 1

We are booked to go to Bangkok and Koh Samui in April, meeting our friends who are travelling from the UK via Hong Kong. Remains to be seen if it will all go ahead, and if we do will be able to come back without a trip to Christmas Island!

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

The Australian Government has just announced that it will now implement its emergency preparedness plans in relation to Coronavirus. The  Government believes that Coronavirus is likely to become a Pandemic, hence the need to act now.

More Info here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-27/federal-government-coronavirus-pandemic-emergency-plan/12005734

Edited by Dusty Plains

Closed a school down near me. Kids came back from North Italy 

5 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

The Australian Government has just announced that it will now implement its emergency preparedness plans in relation to Coronavirus. The  Government believes that Coronavirus is likely to become a Pandemic, hence the need to act now.

There was a rubbishy American movie a few years ago called Pandemic.  Hope people don't remember it and panic.

pandemic.jpg

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

Thats my Doctor’s (and my local surgery’s) advice. So forgive me, but i’ll be taking his advice over that if any PIO advice or opinion.

i’d imagine the medical health professionals, know what they are doing, on the ground and take precautions, to enable them to give that advice.

Don’t forget the travel bans and quarantine routines here are quite stringent already. This is Australia. There is a detention centre set up, on Christmas Island as quarantine.

So you would go to a doctors surgery and put the elderly, sick and inferm not forgetting young children at risk including your Dr. Yet in your other post you mentioned you would place yourself in quarantine. 

Thankfully the Dr’s up here have signs up at the main entrance asking you to STOP and call them before entering if you are showing symptoms. Another clinic placed masks and hand sanitizers in the hall for those who are showing flu like symptoms. 

I am one who probably won’t make it if caught, so if I show flu like symptoms. I won’t be putting anyone at risk and will just stay home. 

• Like 4

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

20 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

So you would go to a doctors surgery and put the elderly, sick and inferm not forgetting young children at risk including your Dr. Yet in your other post you mentioned you would place yourself in quarantine. 

Thankfully the Dr’s up here have signs up at the main entrance asking you to STOP and call them before entering if you are showing symptoms. Another clinic placed masks and hand sanitizers in the hall for those who are showing flu like symptoms. 

I am one who probably won’t make it if caught, so if I show flu like symptoms. I won’t be putting anyone at risk and will just stay home. 

Exactly.  Just as you wouldn't go out and about if you had flu.  You would be bed bound anyway.  Flu is very unpleasant   ..................   not that I've ever had it.  Touch wood.

• Like 1