register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

19 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

The last time that America went isolationism we got the great depression of the 20's and 30's, that and lack of regulation of the stock markets along with a lack of legal constraints on big business.

See any parallels with today.

Globalisation is actually the last throes of capitalism, giant trading monopolies with no constraints on them are already wrecking the smaller economies that allow them in to flourish, look at the effects of Amazon on the retail trade in the UK. No effective taxation of them is making them an unstoppable force, same with the tech giants wrecking societies as they hoover up personal preferences that allow them to manipulate supposed democratic elections in every country.

Just because I believe in the strength of groups as against the cult of the individual does not mean that I automatically support cross border iniatives, it always depends on what the end result but in a world dominated by giants being tiny has no benefits.

I think technology and disruptive technologies in particular is more of a threat to life as we know it than any isolation and nationalistic goverments and policies. 

The likes of Amazon, google, uber etc etc aren't based anywhere anymore. They just exist and can move bases and warehousing and computer installations to places where they don't get taxed. 

I really hope that people carry on going to shops and cities. Otherwise there's going to be even more kobs disappearing and less and less places to go. As money gets tighter those places will turn into run down, scruffy dumps.

As at 06:00 hrs on 14 February 2020, we have confirmed 15 cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia:

• 5 in Queensland
  • 4 in New South Wales
  • 4 in Victoria
  • 2 in South Australia

6 of the earlier cases have recovered. The others are in a stable condition

All of the cases in Australia have come from Wuhan except one in NSW who had contact in China with a confirmed case in Wuhan.

5 hours ago, Toots said:

As at 06:00 hrs on 14 February 2020, we have confirmed 15 cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia:

• 5 in Queensland
  • 4 in New South Wales
  • 4 in Victoria
  • 2 in South Australia

6 of the earlier cases have recovered. The others are in a stable condition

All of the cases in Australia have come from Wuhan except one in NSW who had contact in China with a confirmed case in Wuhan.

Bet we all wish we were in good old Perth now,lol

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

28 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

On abc radio today they said China has over 60k cases confirmed with I think about 1500 confirmed deaths 

45 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

I was due to be flying to Perth.

Glad I don't have to be locked up in a plane for a day.

On 15/02/2020 at 11:22, newjez said:

I was due to be flying to Perth.

Glad I don't have to be locked up in a plane for a day.

You’ve not changed your mind going because of the virus have you?

A group of scientists are currently working on a Journal of Hospital Infections they thought their studies on the Coronavirus were very important that they have allowed certain papers to be published prior to its completion

The first section of the new paper focuses on how long coronaviruses can survive on inanimate surfaces, such as tables and door handles. The authors show that, depending on the material and the conditions, human coronaviruses can remain infectious from 2 hours to 9 days.

At temperatures of around 4°C or 39.2oF, certain versions of the coronavirus could remain viable for up to 28 days. At temperatures of 30–40°C (86–104°F), coronaviruses tended to persist for a shorter time.

At room temperature, a coronavirus responsible for the common cold (HCoV-229E) persisted significantly longer in 50% humidity than 30% humidity. Overall, the authors conclude:

“Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30°C [86°F] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter. Veterinary coronaviruses have been shown to persist even longer for 28 d[ays].”

When the scientists delved into the literature on the persistence of coronaviruses on different surfaces, the results were variable. For instance, the MERS virus persisted for 48 hours on a steel surface at 20°C (68°F). However, on a similar surface and at the same temperature, TGEV survived for up to 28 days.

Similarly, two studies investigated the survival of two strains of SARS coronavirus on a paper surface. One survived 4–5 days, the other for just 3 hours.

In the next section of their paper, the authors address the best way to inactivate coronaviruses.

They conclude that agents, including hydrogen peroxide, ethanol, and sodium hypochlorite (a chemical in bleach), quickly and successfully inactivate coronaviruses. 

For instance, the authors write that “[h]ydrogen peroxide was effective with a concentration of 0.5% and an incubation time of 1 minute.” 

After assessing the evidence, the authors conclude:

“Surface disinfection with 0.1% sodium hypochlorite or 62–71% ethanol significantly reduces coronavirus infectivity on surfaces within 1 min[ute] exposure time.”

Conversely, solutions of a biocide called benzalkonium chloride produced conflicting results; and chlorhexidine digluconate, which people use as a topical antiseptic, was ineffective.

The authors write that “[t]ransmission in healthcare settings can be successfully prevented when appropriate measures are consistently performed.” Handwashing, in particular, is critical.

They explain how, in Taiwan, “installing hand wash stations in the emergency department was the only infection control measure which was significantly associated with the protection from healthcare workers from acquiring the [SARS coronavirus].” 

Although the studies the authors summarize in this review did not investigate COVID-19, they believe that the results are also likely to be relevant to this latest coronavirus. All the human coronaviruses that the research had investigated seem to be susceptible to the same chemical agents.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

The good news from the data is if you are under the age of fifty the case fatality rate (CFR) is not much to worry about @0.2%

The bad news is the case fatality rate rises rapidly above the age of sixty @3.6%

The exact figures for CFR will not be known until the end of the epidemic
Because of the lag effect of up to 28 days from infection to recovery or death.

Dr John Campbell
COVID-19 Wednesday 19 February Update

Edited by Life on easy street
  • Like 1

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

China CDC Weekly
Vital Surveillances: The Epidemiological Characteristics of an Outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Diseases (COVID-19) — China, 2020

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

Edited by Life on easy street

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

Is this now officially a global pandemic ?

If not it soon will be.

Looks like the world is beginning to realise that it is not under control.

Wall Street dropped 1000 points overnight as the reality starts to sink in of what Corona virus means to the global economy.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

Is this now officially a global pandemic ?

If not it soon will be.

Looks like the world is beginning to realise that it is not under control.

Wall Street dropped 1000 points overnight as the reality starts to sink in of what Corona virus means to the global economy.

It is getting really bad. I was in the chemist today picking up a prescription for my mum and the guy in front of me was coughing away like mad. I did for a moment think I hope that’s just a normal cough. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tulip1 said:

It is getting really bad. I was in the chemist today picking up a prescription for my mum and the guy in front of me was coughing away like mad. I did for a moment think I hope that’s just a normal cough. 

Hold your breath if anyone starts coughing.

I do that sometimes.

1 minute ago, Parley said:

Hold your breath if anyone starts coughing.

I do that sometimes.

Not a bad idea. I made sure I didn’t get too close to him. 

Cal x

Nope. The four in NSW have recovered. So not much for people to get concerned about here.
  • Like 1

Between 40% and 70% of the world's population could catch the virus so don't be too complacent, just because it hasn't hit here yet in a big way.

With large multinatinal events coming up like the Grand Prix and the Olympics it will inevitably keep spreading.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/health-boss-says-quite-possible-billions-could-catch-coronavirus-20200225-p5441z.html

6 hours ago, ssiri said:

Nope. The four in NSW have recovered. So not much for people to get concerned about here.

What a strange way to look at it. I have read that the vast majority of people under 50 would survive it, subject to no health issues and then the risk starts to slowly increase after that, getting higher the older you are, as with most things really. Being in my mid 50’s and healthy I therefore stand a very good chance of surviving it. But what about the older people and  people with poor health that I may pass it onto without realising? My elderly mum who is reliant on me for so much these days, my dear friend at work who’s a lot younger than me but has an auto immune disease and poor health.  To say there’s not much for people to be concerned about because the 4 there have recovered sounds rather uncaring. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

Between 40% and 70% of the world's population could catch the virus so don't be too complacent, just because it hasn't hit here yet in a big way.
With large multinatinal events coming up like the Grand Prix and the Olympics it will inevitably keep spreading.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/health-boss-says-quite-possible-billions-could-catch-coronavirus-20200225-p5441z.html

Its not complacency. I refuse to go with blind panic. If my time is up, its up - no point losing sleep or assuming every second person who coughs, sneezes or looks Chinese, and now Middle Eastern or European person might be infected.
  • Like 2

I suspect the Olympics will be cancelled the way things are going, or at least will be cut back in a major way. 

13 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I suspect the Olympics will be cancelled the way things are going, or at least will be cut back in a major way. 

I don't think it would be cancelled but i do think it will prevent some spectators from attending,.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

I don't think it would be cancelled but i do think it will prevent some spectators from attending,.

Cal x

I reckon there will be a lot of competitors worried. Can't think of a more risky place to be than an olympic village with other athletes from all over the world. Although it's probably their dream to compete at the olympics their living depends on it and missing a few more meets where they make a living would be making to top competitors worried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

A senior member of the International Olympic Committee says the Tokyo Games are more likely to be cancelled than postponed or moved if it proves too dangerous to hold them because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Dick Pound, the IOC’s longest serving member, estimated there is a three-month window – perhaps only two months – to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning a decision could be put off until late May.

“In and around that time, I’d say folks are going to have to ask: ‘Is this under sufficient control that we can be confident about going to Tokyo or not?”’ he said.

If the IOC decides the games cannot go forward as scheduled in Tokyo, “you’re probably looking at a cancellation,” he said.

However, Tokyo Olympics organisers say preparations are “continuing as planned”, despite a growing list of sporting events being cancelled or postponed because of the virus outbreak.

Japan’s Football League became the latest victim of the coronavirus, just five months before the Games.

The J-League added to jitters around the Olympics as it called off domestic football until mid-March, starting with seven cup games scheduled for Wednesday, as fears of a pandemic grow.

But Games organisers said cancelling the July 24-August 9 Olympics, which will draw millions of fans and tourists, as well as thousands of athletes and officials, had never been discussed.

“We have never discussed cancelling the Games,” said a Tokyo 2020 statement. “Preparations for the Games are continuing as planned.”

The Australian Olympic team chef de mission Ian Chesterman is expected to face questions about Australia’s position on the threat posed to world sport by the coronavirus at a press conference in Canberra later on Wednesday.

The viral outbreak that began in China two months ago has infected more than 80,000 people globally and killed over 2700, the vast majority of them in China. But the virus has gained a foothold in South Korea, the Middle East and Europe, raising fears of a pandemic. Japan itself has reported four deaths.

Pound encouraged athletes to keep training. About 11,000 are expected for the Olympics, which open July 24, and 4400 are bound for the Paralympics, which open August 25.

“As far as we all know, you’re going to be in Tokyo,” Pound said. “All indications are at this stage that it will be business as usual. So keep focused on your sport and be sure that the IOC is not going to send you into a pandemic situation.”

The modern Olympics, which date to 1896, have been cancelled only during wartime. The Olympics in 1940 were supposed to be in Tokyo but were called off because of Japan’s war with China and World War II. The Rio Games in Brazil went on as scheduled in 2016 despite the outbreak of the zika virus.

• Like 2

IMG-20200225-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20200225-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20200225-WA0017.jpg

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE