simmo

Corona Virus

I believe those claiming the Corona virus is a hoax also had their posts removed from Facebook.  Quite right . Sometimes peoples' lives are more important than free speech.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simmo said:

this is very worrying.

Freedom of speech does not extend to freedom  to propagate fase information.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/11/2020 at 22:10, BacktoDemocracy said:

The English are not obedient, they just can't be bothered to find out any truths and believe anything that the media, electronic or paper tell them, their favourite newspapers only use a vocabulary that an 11 year old can understand

I remember my high school English teacher saying that most newspapers are pitched to a reading age of 11.  That was around 1960 in Australia.  Nothing much has changed - in the English speaking world at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well that's am improvement- I thought it was 10 ! I would say it is probably about 15 now going on the crossword clues. In Melbourne, strangely enough, the so-called intelligent paper (The Age) has a worse standard than the other one (The Herald Sun). Particularly in the last couple of years. I suppose they can't get the journalists these days. 

19 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Well that's am improvement- I thought it was 10 ! I would say it is probably about 15 now going on the crossword clues. In Melbourne, strangely enough, the so-called intelligent paper (The Age) has a worse standard than the other one (The Herald Sun). Particularly in the last couple of years. I suppose they can't get the journalists these days. 

I don't think they believe they need journalists these days. They seem to print press releases verbatim as if they are news stories that they've researched. Who needs journalists when you can just print a story about  the excitement generated by the latest specials at Aldi that is already written for you?

• Like 4

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

31 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

The Australian is my favourite.

I want it all, and I want it now.

My husband gets that every day because it has The Times crossword!

On 22/11/2020 at 20:02, Ken said:

I don't think they believe they need journalists these days. They seem to print press releases verbatim as if they are news stories that they've researched. Who needs journalists when you can just print a story about  the excitement generated by the latest specials at Aldi that is already written for you?

The media are cutting back and we see how much importance they attach to investigative journalism or indeed to presenting any view which is critical of the almost universal right wing govts, easier and cheaper to print govt soundbites and deny the opposition any support, save money and and cosy up to our mates in govt.

This is why the Guardian,  ABC and BBC are being attacked relentlessly because they are the only one's pointing out the failures of the almost universal right wing govts.

By the time everyone's understanding of the world is determined by algorithms which constantly reinforce the individuals prejudices then democracy is crumbling in front of our eyes.

• Like 2

That's a great video.  Somebody has managed to collate the complete moaning record of a failure.

• Like 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

1 hour ago, simmo said:

You do know that trump was responsible for those record tech company profits, and actively discouraged anyone from threatening them?

Some people seem to have this strange idea that there is a group of bad really rich people who are contributing the world, and a group of good really rich people trying to control the world.

The sooner people realise that it's just a bunch of really rich people controlling the world, and we don't really have any say in anything, the happier you will be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, newjez said:

You do know that trump was responsible for those record tech company profits, and actively discouraged anyone from threatening them?

Some people seem to have this strange idea that there is a group of bad really rich people who are contributing the world, and a group of good really rich people trying to control the world.

The sooner people realise that it's just a bunch of really rich people controlling the world, and we don't really have any say in anything, the happier you will be.

'Fraid you're right.  T'was ever so.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

The people's vaccine

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-is-70percent-effective-trial-shows-.html

It is really good news, especially for the developing world.

70% is good for a vaccine generally but it doesn't sound so good compared to Pfizer and Moderna who claim 95% effectiveness.

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

70% is good for a vaccine generally but it doesn't sound so good compared to Pfizer and Moderna who claim 95% effectiveness.

It's cheap and easy to store.  Give that to the younger people, keep the good stuff for the most vulnerable.

• Thanks 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

1 hour ago, Parley said:

The efficacy goes up to 90% depending on the dosage. I think they do a weaker jab first followed up by stronger jab after a few weeks and that results in 90% coverage. Haven’t investigated the details but that seems to be the rough details. 😊

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

Well at least it seems to be getting closer. At first they said it could be years away.

4 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

The efficacy goes up to 90% depending on the dosage. I think they do a weaker jab first followed up by stronger jab after a few weeks and that results in 90% coverage. Haven’t investigated the details but that seems to be the rough details. 😊

To be completely honest, with such small numbers in the trials actually catching the virus, statistical variation means I don't have alot of faith in one vaccine over the others.

But the vaccines appear to give us an advantage. How much of an advantage will become clearer in time.

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Just listening to Boris babbling on about the end of the lockdown, you can definitely tell that he didn't get any pre interview coaching by Dom, , he sounded on the verge of incoherence.

At the end he seemed to be in danger of bottling it completely.

Yes very small trial sizes for the Oxford one at least.

Still I think that is the one we are already producing here in Australia for us.

• Like 1

Doesn't it seem a long time ago that this thread was started with "it's now in France".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Just listening to Boris babbling on about the end of the lockdown, you can definitely tell that he didn't get any pre interview coaching by Dom, , he sounded on the verge of incoherence.

At the end he seemed to be in danger of bottling it completely.

I think he did just fine. Poor Boris, he can’t do right from wrong.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, newjez said:

To be completely honest, with such small numbers in the trials actually catching the virus, statistical variation means I don't have alot of faith in one vaccine over the others.

But the vaccines appear to give us an advantage. How much of an advantage will become clearer in time.

I don't think any of the vaccine candidates have been peer reviewed yet, which will hopefully help clarify some of these concerns for us. I did read somewhere that one of the US vaccines (maybe Pfizer) was able to progress so quickly due to the grim situation over there and unexpectedly large exposure of the vaccinated individuals to the virus. Some sort of irony in there that the worst performing country may have provided the best test bed to progress quickly with the trials.

:evilface_frowning_s