register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

Apparantly there are over 5000 cases in India although not being spoken of much.

Can't see any press on that.

Also the numbers in Indonesia are being suppressed. Are Australians still holidaying in Bali? Could be recipe for disaster.

The way it spreads without symptoms is very worrying. The Brighton guy spread it everywhere before he had symptoms.

Edited by newjez

Everywhere seems to have run out of the small hand sanitizer gels, so I've had to order a big pump bottle so I can refill our small ones.

I'm worried this may turn out like they said Brexit was going to turn out with shortages of everything.

What doesn't China make?

Edited by newjez

Been reading about some strange coincidences regarding this..

Firstly in 2017, China opened a maximum security bio-safety level 4 lab in Wuhan (20 miles away from the Huanan Seafood market, the alleged source of the virus).

Here's a Nature article about the opening of the lab (from 2017): https://www.nature.com/news/polopoly...2017.21487.pdf

In July last year, Dr. Xiangguo Qiu, her husband, and an unknown number of her students from China were removed from the National Microbiology Laboratory (Canada's only bio-safety level-4 lab) on July 5 amid a Canadian police investigation into a "policy breach."

Canadian news report about this from last July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7fWLs6pl78

It was revealed that Dr. Xiangguo Qiu made at least five trips to China in 2017-18, including one to train scientists and technicians at China's newly certified Level 4 (Wuhan) lab:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hina-1.5307424

There was an incident in 2009 whereby 22 vials of biological material were stolen from the lab:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...-45078877.html

Quote:

WINIPEG – No one from Winnipeg's National Microbiology Laboratory bothered to report the theft of 22 vials of biological material to police, despite an international uproar over a former researcher accused of smuggling the substances across the U.S. border.

On Wednesday, scientific director Dr. Frank Plummer confirmed RCMP alerted lab staff about the stolen materials on May 5 — the same day a former vaccine researcher was arrested by FBI special agents after U.S. Customs discovered the vials stuffed in a glove in the trunk of his car at the Manitoba-North Dakota border crossing. Some of the vials included genes from the deadly Ebola virus, but local scientists say the material is not infectious.

Dr. Frank Plummer was a world-renowned microbiologist, recognised for leadership roles in the SARS, H1N1 flu and Ebola epidemics. He was the Scientific Director General of the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg from 2000 to 2014.

Dr Plummer died 'suddenly' in Kenya last week:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/frank-pl...t-67-1.4797116

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Please point out any racism and I will report it.

You could start with a couple of your posts @simmo.

All Chinese live in sheds in the bottom of the garden and have terrible hygiene.

Also the one where you went to the effort of stalking some people you say were Chinese, therefore must be infected.

A shame really, you are not a good poster boy for the PIO forum.

Nothing wrong with Chinese people.More intelligent than most of us in my experience.  Plenty wrong with their government, it is a shocker.

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Firstly in 2017, China opened a maximum security bio-safety level 4 lab in Wuhan (20 miles away from the Huanan Seafood market, the alleged source of the virus).

Here's a Nature article about the opening of the lab (from 2017): https://www.nature.com/news/polopoly...2017.21487.pdf

In July last year, Dr. Xiangguo Qiu, her husband, and an unknown number of her students from China were removed from the National Microbiology Laboratory (Canada's only bio-safety level-4 lab) on July 5 amid a Canadian police investigation into a "policy breach."

Canadian news report about this from last July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7fWLs6pl78

It was revealed that Dr. Xiangguo Qiu made at least five trips to China in 2017-18, including one to train scientists and technicians at China's newly certified Level 4 (Wuhan) lab:

There was an incident in 2009 whereby 22 vials of biological material were stolen from the lab:

Quote:

WINIPEG – No one from Winnipeg's National Microbiology Laboratory bothered to report the theft of 22 vials of biological material to police, despite an international uproar over a former researcher accused of smuggling the substances across the U.S. border.

On Wednesday, scientific director Dr. Frank Plummer confirmed RCMP alerted lab staff about the stolen materials on May 5 — the same day a former vaccine researcher was arrested by FBI special agents after U.S. Customs discovered the vials stuffed in a glove in the trunk of his car at the Manitoba-North Dakota border crossing. Some of the vials included genes from the deadly Ebola virus, but local scientists say the material is not infectious.

Dr. Frank Plummer was a world-renowned microbiologist, recognised for leadership roles in the SARS, H1N1 flu and Ebola epidemics. He was the Scientific Director General of the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg from 2000 to 2014.

Image result for conspiriosy theory

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Quote:

People do love connecting disconnected bits of info and coming up with a book sized 'conspiracy theory'

7 minutes ago, unzippy said:

All Chinese live in sheds in the bottom of the garden and have terrible hygiene.

Also the one where you went to the effort of stalking some people you say were Chinese, therefore must be infected.

Not just a shame, more shocking, especially the stalking bit if true

Are the mods aware?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Not just a shame, more shocking, especially the stalking bit if true

Are the mods aware?

For gawDs sake mate its an internet forum, if you feel threatened contact MI5

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, newjez said:

Everywhere seems to have run out of the small hand sanitizer gels, so I've had to order a big pump bottle so I can refill our small ones.

I'm worried this may turn out like they said Brexit was going to turn out with shortages of everything.

What doesn't China make?

And what doesn't China consume.

There seems to be little discussion of the economic damage for China and the knock on effects globally..

I would have thought that exports of raw materials is slowing or is it too early for virtual closure of main cities to translate into impacts

jUST HEARD ON RADIO EVERYONE IS QUARANTINED AND ONLY ALLOWED OUT TO GET SUPPLIES

Image result for CHINA STREETS TODAY

1 minute ago, Perthbum said:

jUST HEARD ON RADIO EVERYONE IS QUARANTINED AND ONLY ALLOWED OUT TO GET SUPPLIES

Image result for CHINA STREETS TODAY

What are you on about?  Why the hysteria?

Just now, Perthbum said:

For gawDs sake mate its an internet forum, if you feel threatened contact MI5

So we just have to accept cr.p standards of behaviour do we, any kind of sh.te can be pushed out on the web, no consequences so just do as you like.

And when I think we can't get any lower, lo and behold, I'm proven wrong.

17 minutes ago, unzippy said:

What are you on about?  Why the hysteria?

Exactly.

17 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

So we just have to accept cr.p standards of behaviour do we, any kind of sh.te can be pushed out on the web, no consequences so just do as you like.

And when I think we can't get any lower, lo and behold, I'm proven wrong.

Look at yourself, you could be the problem.

The guy in Brighton caught it in Singapore. At a conference.

The people at that conference would have been staying in hotels, dining in restaurants, going to pubs, travelling on public transport.

Singapore is an international hub. Half the world's flights go through Singapore.

We're screwed if we think they can contain this.

54 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Get a grip.😂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, simmo said:

Get a grip.😂

And there we have it, trying to laugh it off😕

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

25 minutes ago, simmo said:

Get a grip.😂

Some people just don’t understand tongue in cheek banter.  That’s what almost everyone would have seen your comments as, I certainly did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Some people just don’t understand tongue in cheek banter.  That’s what almost everyone would have seen your comments as, I certainly did. 

So, the Holocaust was just a practical joke that went a bit too far?

Racism has been wrapped with a layer of humour for quite some time.

Aren't we better than that?

Do you really find this funny?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Yep, so 'banter' is acceptable, is that an explanation for Chinese people in the UK being insulted and abused.

This cry of "it's only banter" is just an excuse for playground behaviours which need to be seen for what they are, unpleastness dressed up as humour, but nonetheless hurtful. 

Why do we have to keep on accepting sexism, mysogyny, racism and nationalism dressed up as humour when it is obviously not.

And to just to anticipate, no I'm not some PC weirdo or leftie or 'red under the bed comrade' I just believe that people should be treated with respect and some of the time I might even extend that to some people with quite damning views of humanity.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, newjez said:

So, the Holocaust was just a practical joke that went a bit too far?

Racism has been wrapped with a layer of humour for quite some time.

Aren't we better than that?

Do you really find this funny?

Again no clue and so out of touch with the world outside of east sussex.  I assume you can use google?  Try searching how chinese restaurants exploit human trafficking and the modern slave trade. 

If you are happy for that to go on then you should be ashamed.  I on the other hand I have no time for virtue signallers who are happy to support such a barbaric practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Nothing wrong with Chinese people.More intelligent than most of us in my experience.  Plenty wrong with their government, it is a shocker.

That's a massive generalisation.  

As  Gandhi once said "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated"