AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

13 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

No not yet - but I dont think its far off 

Can you define "far" please?

6 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Can you define "far" please?

I'd estimate end of 2021 (at least) for something to be widely available to general public. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

I'd estimate end of 2021 (at least) for something to be widely available to general public. 

The Phizer and Moderna vaccines may be ready by end of November (next month) although that is in the US.

Oxford vaccine seems to have been delayed a bit. Hopefully mid next year at the latest.

I want it all, and I want it now.

22 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And the reason for using the army is?  Because the Tories ran the NHS down as a precursor to privatising it.

So vaccinations are going to be done by Squaddies are they.

I'm sure the Armed Services will be very happy at seeing their medical staff stripped out.

Why would they not be happy? They’re job is to serve their country in whatever way necessary as requested by the state.  That aside,  I’m sure they would be completely fine with doing their bit to help out in what is a horrible situation. We have a pandemic killing thousands of people and if a vaccine can protect them surely our armed forces wouldn’t have a problem assisting, they are there to protect after all. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Why would they not be happy? They’re job is to serve their country in whatever way necessary as requested by the state.  That aside,  I’m sure they would be completely fine with doing their bit to help out in what is a horrible situation. We have a pandemic killing thousands of people and if a vaccine can protect them surely our armed forces wouldn’t have a problem assisting, they are there to protect after all. 

Believe it or not, modern defence forces embrace the role of medical support and have for quite some time (since the mid 1990s) . Its known as MOOTW - Military Operations Other Than War and is primarily aimed at disaster relief and medical services by supporting civilian authorities. I think the acronym may have changed to something else recently.

MOOTW, and specifically medical services, was deployed on a large scale during the 2020 bushfires.

UK, USA, CAN and AUS form the nucleus of MOOTW.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Believe it or not, modern defence forces embrace the role of medical support and have for quite some time (since the mid 1990s) . Its known as MOOTW - Military Operations Other Than War and is primarily aimed at disaster relief and medical services by supporting civilian authorities. I think the acronym may have changed to something else recently.

MOOTW, and specifically medical services, was deployed on a large scale during the 2020 bushfires.

I don’t doubt it for a minute.  It was BTD that suggested it would be an issue for them.

Just now, Tulip1 said:

I don’t doubt it for a minute.  It was BTD that suggested it would be an issue for them.

My bad.  I was suggesting that "believe it or not" ..., its called MOOTW.  What a dumb Acronym.🙂

• Like 1

When there is a UK vaccine it will only be for the most vulnerable, not for everyone.

18 minutes ago, s713 said:

When there is a UK vaccine it will only be for the most vulnerable, not for everyone.

That doesn't sound fair.

Australia has already signed up for 25 million doses from Astra Zenica. Everyone in Australia will get it for free.

https://theconversation.com/morrison-government-promises-all-australians-will-get-free-covid-vaccine-if-there-is-one-144694

Edited by Parley

1 hour ago, Parley said:

The Phizer and Moderna vaccines may be ready by end of November (next month) although that is in the US.

Oxford vaccine seems to have been delayed a bit. Hopefully mid next year at the latest.

Even if they are it'll be reserved for a tiny minority of the population. We are at least a year away from a widespread program like the flu vax 

• Like 1

I wonder if it would be needed annually like the flu vaccine because of different mutations?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I wonder if it would be needed annually like the flu vaccine because of different mutations?

I reckon...

1 hour ago, Parley said:

That doesn't sound fair.

Australia has already signed up for 25 million doses from Astra Zenica. Everyone in Australia will get it for free.

https://theconversation.com/morrison-government-promises-all-australians-will-get-free-covid-vaccine-if-there-is-one-144694

The head of the UK vaccine taskforce has already said that due to shortages it will initially be for the most vulnerable only, is unlikely to work on everyone and will not be a single shot.

The article in your link sounds a bit optimistic based on what is being broadcast here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Screenshot_20201018-184950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.752d238f3ddf1402c24f3865b09efa6f.jpg

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Screenshot_20201018-191122_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2cefb79b06c71170cf711273f2a00c5a.jpg

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It will be an issue for the senior officers running the armed services who have limited medical staff to keep their personnel fit and capable of doing what they are there  to do, defend the UK and its interests, if I wanted to attack our interests, now would seem to be an ideal time.

9 hours ago, s713 said:

9 hours ago, s713 said:

Most vulnerable and essential, suddenly van and truck drivers will be at the head of the queue along with bus and train drivers and food production workers and medical staff.

9 hours ago, Parley said:

That doesn't sound fair.

Hmmm we can already see the problems can't we?

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

People have had it twice so I would think it will become annually, pharmaceutical companies will be telling us we need it annually 🤔

10 hours ago, s713 said:

The programme will vaccinate the most vulnerable first which I would imagine will be the same in most countries. It will then be given to others based on a sliding scale of vulnerability so a 60 year old will get it before the 20 year old. It has been mentioned about using an initial 30 million doses which is almost half the population because it’s undecided whether under 18’s should be vaccinated. They probably will eventually but based on them rarely getting it and the chances of complications being really tiny they will get it last if at all. 

Edited by Tulip1

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

It's sounding very much as though it will be like the flu vaccine, not 100% effective and needed every year. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

The programme will vaccinate the most vulnerable first which I would imagine will be the same in most countries. It will then be given to others based on a sliding scale of vulnerability so a 60 year old will get it before the 20 year old. It has been mentioned about using an initial 30 million doses which is almost half the population because it’s undecided whether under 18’s should be vaccinated. They probably will eventually but based on them rarely getting it and the chances of complications being really tiny they will get it last if at all. 

Young people can probably still pass it on to vulnerable people though.

You need something like 90% of people to be immune to get that herd immunity and hopefully then the virus disappears altogether. 

You may also find you are unable to travel internationally or be accepted into Australia if you haven't been vaccinated.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Agreed. If there is a vaccine that is effective and the product (or products) are able to be manufactured on a global scale then all people in all nations should have access to the vaccine.  To do otherwise will most likely cause all sorts of problems between countries that have an effective vaccine, but they also adjoin other countries that do not.

Without getting too far ahead, but undeniably a looming global issue, the manufacturing and distribution of a vaccine should not be confined to a few countries, or that richer countries will be able to lay greater claim to protecting their own populations to the exclusion of poorer nations. 

Then there is the factor of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and its role in coordinating the vaccination of the world once an effective  product is available and able to be supplied on a broad scale.  The WHO would seem to be the logical and eventual coordinator of a global program. However the WHO can be largely influenced by China given that China is a major funding source and influence within WHO. Having such influence possibly allows China to, in turn, influence the distribution of a global vaccination program, for its own political strategy. That particular strategy already exists, and controlling the WHO would fit in nicely for China.