simmo

Corona Virus

6 hours ago, kungfustu said:

your borders are closed Paul if you hadn't realised.....your national border is going to be closed until late into next year from I read over the weekend.....I also read that WA's border with other states is going to remain closed until April....correct me if I am wrong but thats what I thought I heard.....you think thats good for your economy?

That is correct - my nephew in w.a  is going ballistic .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's rare that we agree, Bunbury, but you are right.  Several health professionals, including Dr Fauci, have recommended that people take Vitamin D as a precautionary measure, because it appears that people with good Vitamin D levels are better able to fight off Covid.  But it's thought you need to have Vit D in your system before you catch the bug. 

Taking large doses of Vitamin D can be fatal,  so there are several trials going on to test the efficacy and safety of megadosing someone who's already sick.

Yes these doses of a form of vitamin D , given to the critical , are 20 x 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

4 hours ago, rtritudr said:

I don't think anyone living in Australia is going to have a problem with not having enough Vitamin D.  Of course the UK is totally different.

Different type and absorption of vitamin D -than that given by the sun - apparently ??

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Liverpool goes into further restrictions .

My mate was up there the other week when liverpool won the league 

In the pubs- Zero social distancing - few masks 

People across the country , like Liverpool are getting fed up with it all now .

Australians in general will do as they are told - iam afraid that won't wash here - especially in the likes of Liverpool 😀

• Sad 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Have you checked out the statistics?  New Zealand's borders are closed and its economy is recovering more strongly than countries which didn't lock down.  Early signs are that the other states (except Victoria) are recovering well too - and they are alreading beginning to open their borders to each other, gradually, including New Zealand (except for the leper colony Victoria, of course). 

You may also have missed the fact that imports are still arriving and exports are still going out - tourism is the one thing that's suffering but then again, since Australians and New Zealanders can't go anywhere else in the world, they're keen to holiday at home and replace the foreign tourists.

The closed borders have been terrible for families who are separated and for new migrants who can't get here - but apart from that, they don't affect our daily lives that much, apart from being able to go on a holiday outside our own state.  But given the size of most Australian states, we can hardly argue that's such a big sacrifice in the scheme of things.

The closure of small businesses is a much bigger issue.

Same as here.  There are ship loads of stuff coming in and going out.  Business as usual as far as that is concerned.  Of course no tourists but the Tasmanians have taken to the roads and are holidaying in their own state.  Motels and caravan parks very busy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rtritudr said:

I don't think anyone living in Australia is going to have a problem with not having enough Vitamin D.  

Over 30% of adults in Australia have a mild, moderate or severe deficiency:  https://osteoporosis.org.au/vitamin-d

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rtritudr said:

I don't think anyone living in Australia is going to have a problem with not having enough Vitamin D.  Of course the UK is totally different.

You’d be surprised. There are cases of rickets in Australian children now, because some parents are too obsessive about keeping babies out of the sun. 

Adults too - you can’t absorb Vit D through sunscreen. Basically we’ve done too good a job of education about skin cancer, because you only need about 20 minutes skin exposure to the Australian sun to get adequate Vit D, but some people aren’t even getting that

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Liverpool goes into further restrictions .

My mate was up there the other week when liverpool won the league 

In the pubs- Zero social distancing - few masks 

People across the country , like Liverpool are getting fed up with it all now .

Australians in general will do as they are told - iam afraid that won't wash here - especially in the likes of Liverpool 😀

It’s because here there are no consequences to their actions (other than people dying which doesn’t appear to be a barrier) Australia have been very tough with their fining people.  Here the chances of getting fined is tiny. I did see in the news today though that two uni students in Norwich have been fined £10k each for holding a party for 100 people when they should have been isolating. Selfish pair who should be ashamed. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if that was my kid who’d behaved like that.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

That is correct - my nephew in w.a  is going ballistic .

Why? Does he go overseas every week?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

10 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s because here there are no consequences to their actions (other than people dying which doesn’t appear to be a barrier) Australia have been very tough with their fining people.  Here the chances of getting fined is tiny. I did see in the news today though that two uni students in Norwich have been fined £10k each for holding a party for 100 people when they should have been isolating. Selfish pair who should be ashamed. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if that was my kid who’d behaved like that.  

And there as much chance of collecting that as I have of getting thro this pandemic, courts not sitting because now there are so few of them and they are over loaded, prisons are jammed so if you get into court in 2 years time you'll be ordered to pay it off at probably around 100 pounds a month and if you are unemployed you'll probably get 200 hours community service but in 2 years time they'll probably lost all record of the offence and you'll be very unlucky if you even get a police warning lodged on your record if they even bother to find you. And these blokes know that and will be back at it next weekend.

sweet dreams that any of these fines will ever be collected.

Remember the Tories sacked 20,000 police and closed over well over a 100 courts

14 hours ago, kungfustu said:

....it is a lab test and does not represent reality.....the reality in which it is being used to control you....

Paranoid much????    No one is being "controlled" by this.  In your own words "Get a grip"!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Just wondering why someone with such a low opinion of Australians and Australian research would even bother to post

15 hours ago, kungfustu said:

you shouldn't be so quick to judge.....

It's not a judgement, it's a question.

🙄

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toots said:

.................  and what's that supposed to mean?

There's a latent "antipodean colonials" attitude which raises its head from time to time on here.  This was the person who thought   "plebiscite" was a ridiculous Australian fabrication - in reality an English language word since the 1500s.  🙄

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Why? Does he go overseas every week?

It's human nature to want what you can't have.  🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Different type and absorption of vitamin D -than that given by the sun - apparently ??

No, just people wearing sunscreen all the time these days 

18 hours ago, kungfustu said:

your borders are closed Paul if you hadn't realised.....your national border is going to be closed until late into next year from I read over the weekend.....I also read that WA's border with other states is going to remain closed until April....correct me if I am wrong but thats what I thought I heard.....you think thats good for your economy?

At the moment the WA economy is doing rather well, recently posting a significant surplus despite the massive impacts to the global economy. As others have said imports and exports are still flowing in and out so its only really tourism thats impacted. This is offset somwhat by locals spending their holidays within WA instead of going overseas/interstate. Cafes/restaurants/bars etc are 'normal' and you'd never know covid had existed, so the lockdown and elimination has been good for the economy, given the alternative options (closed/semi-operational hospitality sectors observed elsewhere vs WA's fully operational/booming hospitality sector).

Longer-term the locals will get restless and political pressure to open the border will mount, but for now it has been an overwhelming success story, better even than New Zealand's much lauded success.

• Like 5

:evilface_frowning_s

It was so good to see Mooloolaba packed at the weekend, restaurants and cafes were full, and the beach was full of people enjoying the sunshine. I’m sure that every little must help the local economy. Sensible social spacing is still in place, 

Quite a few people I know are taking short trips away in Qld, , so hope that with so few, I think only 4 active cases in Qld things will start to pick. We all know it’s got a long way to go, but the weather is glorious which makes up all feel more hopeful.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, just people wearing sunscreen all the time these days 

Not according to that report 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And there as much chance of collecting that as I have of getting thro this pandemic, courts not sitting because now there are so few of them and they are over loaded, prisons are jammed so if you get into court in 2 years time you'll be ordered to pay it off at probably around 100 pounds a month and if you are unemployed you'll probably get 200 hours community service but in 2 years time they'll probably lost all record of the offence and you'll be very unlucky if you even get a police warning lodged on your record if they even bother to find you. And these blokes know that and will be back at it next weekend.

sweet dreams that any of these fines will ever be collected.

Remember the Tories sacked 20,000 police and closed over well over a 100 courts

The legal system hasn’t come to a holt because of Covid. If in two years time they get ordered to pay it back at £100pm then that’s fine. Even a lesser amount is ok as long as it’s getting paid back. They’ll have a massive student debt to pay back too so perhaps a lower amount each month would be reasonable. They’ll just have the debt for years and years.  If earning and they don’t pay what the courts say they have to they will get an attachment to their earnings and it will be taken at source. If unemployed they’ll probably have to pay it back at £1 a week or so. I expect it will get reduced down to a much lesser amount but I’d be very surprised if written off. I hope they are now realising the enormity of what they have done. Maybe not. Maybe like you say they’ll be doing it again this weekend. If they do let’s hope they get caught again. It would say a lot about their character wouldn’t it. Their parents must be either mortified or cut of the same cloth. 

Edited by Tulip1

My doctor told me wearing makeup blocks vitamin D as well as sunscreen. I have a pretty low level even though I spend a fair bit of time outdoors. It is a question of absorbing it rather than availability.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

My doctor told me wearing makeup blocks vitamin D as well as sunscreen. I have a pretty low level even though I spend a fair bit of time outdoors. It is a question of absorbing it rather than availability.

I have a very low level of vit D, even though I have lived in hot sunny countries for 27years, and have regular exposure to sunshine.I have to take a daily supplement to keep my level up, especially as I have serious osteoporosis. There is no logic to my low level, just s—-ds law. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ramot said:

I have a very low level of vit D, even though I have lived in hot sunny countries for 27years, and have regular exposure to sunshine.I have to take a daily supplement to keep my level up, especially as I have serious osteoporosis. There is no logic to my low level, just s—-ds law. 

I have a friend the same as you ramot.  She also takes a supplement.  My vitamin D level was fine the last time I had a blood test but due another test very soon so hopefully still OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

The legal system hasn’t come to a holt because of Covid. If in two years time they get ordered to pay it back at £100pm then that’s fine. Even a lesser amount is ok as long as it’s getting paid back. They’ll have a massive student debt to pay back too so perhaps a lower amount each month would be reasonable. They’ll just have the debt for years and years.  If earning and they don’t pay what the courts say they have to they will get an attachment to their earnings and it will be taken at source. If unemployed they’ll probably have to pay it back at £1 a week or so. I expect it will get reduced down to a much lesser amount but I’d be very surprised if written off. I hope they are now realising the enormity of what they have done. Maybe not. Maybe like you say they’ll be doing it again this weekend. If they do let’s hope they get caught again. It would say a lot about their character wouldn’t it. Their parents must be either mortified or cut of the same cloth. 

The courts are simply over whelmed especially since well over 100 have been close,  2years and 6 months to get the Court of Protection to make an order appointing a Guardian.

But by all means believe what this govt tells you, read Bleak House and look at Jarndyce v Jarndyce

20 hours ago, rtritudr said:

You may be surprised. My wife works in oncology and a lot of vitamin D and blood infusions are done. A lot of people cover up way too much.

• Like 2