simmo

Corona Virus

1 hour ago, Toots said:

The only person I know of¬†personally who has had Covid is @simmo. ¬†He was in hospital and by all accounts made a good recovery. ¬† ūüĎ欆¬† I wonder what medication he received whilst being treated in hospital.

I had a penpal (in Florida) and her husband who died of it.  I'm pretty sure my niece and her son had it, but as they couldn't get tested (in the UK) I'll never know for sure.  They were both very sick for a week but didn't need to go to hospital. 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I know @Parley. The problem is that from the start the government/police have been too soft over enforcing the rules so they are ignored by many.  If that’s the case it doesn’t matter what new rules are announced. People know they can get fined for not following the rules but very few actually do get fined. In the last few weeks I’ve seen several things in the news where the rules have clearly been breached. The university students were told they can return to student accommodation but no parties and keep to the rule of six. They haven’t done that and we now have thousands of students who are positive and now isolating (or should be)  Many have been interviewed away from the cameras and they’ve said they have been careless. Some would have caught it even by obeying the rules but not in the numbers that have it.  Police turned up at a wedding reception in Manchester after a tip off and it was filmed. There was about 70 guests in this pub and the police walked around asking them all to leave and go home. The big headline was the pub owner was fined. Too right but what about the selfish newly weds who sent out 70 invitations and all the guests who turned up and stayed knowing they shouldn’t.  Exactly the same thing happened in Luton. A hotel had a wedding going on with about 100 guests. Police went in and asked them all to leave. The hotel owner was fined.  I saw a police film of an illegal rave of many and the police again walked about asking for them to leave. In these three things alone I’ve mentioned just two people we’re fined even though there was no dispute whatsoever hundreds had broke the rules. I’m pretty sure not one student has received a fine either. The message that sends is do what you want as the chances of actually getting in trouble is negligible. The worst that will happen is a police officer will nicely ask you to go home.  Those who return from abroad are supposed to isolate at home (subject to certain countries) They get a phone call asking if they are at home and sticking to the rules. No one ever turns up at their houses and checks and many have not answered the calls that have been made to them. I have not heard of anyone getting fined for breach of the isolation rule. Therefore again, no point in making rules that can be ignored without punishment.  Of course rules are better than none as a reasonable amount of people will adhere to them but unless they crack down and make people afraid of getting caught then sadly many will continue to behave in a selfish way and worsen the already terrible situation.  

All our families are still in the UK, we've spoken to all of them and know that, really they are following rules when it suits them. We didn't know anyone who had the virus until this weekend. My wife had a call from her Sister, who has been working from home for ages. Her sons girlfriend has just been diagnosed with it. She works in a bank and knows she picked it up from a customer. She is insulin dependant and is quite sick, hoping she doesn't have to go into hospital. My wifes Sister is also worried as she's had cancer. She shouldn't have seen them but has. They pop round to each others houses. She pops round to see her Dad when she knows she really shouldn't. He's 90 so now my wife is worried that they may have spread it round.

My nephew went to Ibiza and should have isolated when he got back. Went straight back to work, no-one checked. He was OK but more by luck than judgement.

My wife assumed they would close the bank, fumigate, test other workers, like they would here. No, banks still open, no checks and they are expecting my nephews girlfriend back at work in 10 days.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, kungfustu said:

yes they do.....what do you think Trump has just been taking.....we have several different drugs/treatments that we now use here.....

Who knows what Trump got? Some people get really sick, some don't. Trump might be one of the lucky ones.

There's no known, proven vaccine and won't be for a long time. So all this talk about herd immunity is just talk. You can't do it without a vaccine.

Everybody loves to talk about how "succesful" Sweden has been. Read in the paper yesterday that they have massive outbreaks still and are having a rethink about their lockdown, or lack of it. 16 times more deaths than comparable EU nations.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

.. and they are expecting my nephews girlfriend back at work in 10 days.

This is something that surprises me.  When my niece had it, she was told she had to isolate for 7 days - not 14 as we do here in Australia.   We've definitely had people in hotel quarantine who are still infectious at 10 or 12 days, so I wonder where the UK government gets its 7 days from.

• Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

This is something that surprises me.  When my niece had it, she was told she had to isolate for 7 days - not 14 as we do here in Australia.   We've definitely had people in hotel quarantine who are still infectious at 10 or 12 days, so I wonder where the UK government gets its 7 days from.

The appearance of taking preventative action, but in reality, quite deliberately letting the virus run rampant as has always been the plan. At least it seems that way from the actions taken thus far

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

:evilface_frowning_s

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Watching SKY news. One young lady all for opening everything up, argument is people are fed up, economy is suffering. Next news item is from a hospital in Ireland and a doctor saying they have more cases now than in the spring, numbers still rising and he reckons they have 2 weeks before they are overwhelmed.

Looks like most younger people are all for opening up and most, if not all, NHS workers are supporting a proper lockdown.

It's a tough call for the government and a real balancing act. It's a pity that both sides of politics can't work together better and not use covid and the response to it to score political points. I think Kier Starma is the best Labour leader I've seen for some time and will probably win the next election. I can't see that the virus response would be any better than what the Conservative government has done though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I can't see that the virus response would be any better than what the Conservative government has done though.

Well, they could easily have done the same as Australia and closed the borders when Australia did - the UK is an island, after all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well, they could easily have done the same as Australia and closed the borders when Australia did - the UK is an island, after all. 

Agreed, they could have and should have. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. They were still part of Europe though and would have found it very difficult to close their borders like we did. 

They would have got a big pushback from the rest of the EU, as well as all the lefty human rights people in the UK, who want to do their own thing and use arguments like police state.

Sadly 2 people I know have died in UK, one in my old village In Nottingham and another in Sussex, yes elderly, but not in bad health . A friend who is a midwife  in her late 50’s says she has never ever felt so ill, and still several months later still isn’t fully recovered.

I also have a son and grandchildren, and many friends still in UK, so probably like others it would be odd if I wasn’t concerned about what is happening there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toots said:

The only person I know of¬†personally who has had Covid is @simmo. ¬†He was in hospital and by all accounts made a good recovery. ¬† ūüĎ欆¬† I wonder what medication he received whilst being treated in hospital.

I know they gave me 2 different antibiotics and oxygen via a face mask (not a ventilator), then by tubes going up my nose.  I was early days though and they didn't really have a clue. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kungfustu said:

It¬†IS¬†ūüėāsimilar¬†to flu/influenza.........so you taking one small snippet and spinning it to suit is pointless.....answer the whole point not just one small bit.

It starts as a respiratory  disease similar to flu but...

it is more contagious than flu

it has a much higher mortality rate (estimated currently to be 10 times the rate)

it has  complications affecting other organs which are different from those of flu

there is no vaccination to control it 

there is no certainty whether having it once gives any immunity or how long immunity may last (there are already cases of multiple infection).

Annual  deaths world wide from flu are estimated between 290,000 and 650,000.    Current Covid deaths world wide are already 1.075 million.   And that's effectively for only 6 months -   the pandemic took off worldwide in mid March and deaths started to spiral upwards a month later.    A true comparison of annual deaths can't be made until April next year.

If it's no greater worry than flu can you please point to the years in which hundreds of the UK's health service staff have died from flu - and why it was kept a secret.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

They were still part of Europe though and would have found it very difficult to close their borders like we did. 

They would have got a big pushback from the rest of the EU, 

The UK left the EU on 31st January.¬† I thought the whole point of Brexit was (regaining) "sovereignty".¬†¬†ūü§Ē¬† ¬†

19 hours ago, amibovered said:

Spot on, it amazes me when people say lockdown is a waste of time, because it hasn't been too bad,  it has been bad, but it would have been a hell of a lot worse without intervention, and it drives me mad when people bang on about the economy, well I'd lake to ask them exactly the monetary value they place on  human life, because that is what they are doing.   

The problem is the economy does make it very bad for some. When you’re about to lose your home, you’re up to your eyes in debt and see little chance of ever getting a job again then life may have a very low monetary value. I’m not saying lockdown hasn’t been essential.  These are tough times and sacrifices have to be made.  It’s wrong to say it hasn’t been too bad though as for many it’s been the worst thing they could ever have imagined and they are walking about under the biggest black cloud ever.  My job hasn’t been effected and I consider myself lucky but I’m very aware about the many that have been devastated by this and my heart goes out to them. 

18 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I used my common sense when I replied to your comment about Covid following someone saying we don’t have a cure. You responded with... 

yes they do.....what do you think Trump has just been taking.....we have several different drugs/treatments that we now use here.....

If you want to start up a post about how many people go to hospital/die with cancer and other medical issues then please do.  I may respond to that one too. Different to the subject matter being discussed here though.  As for being brainwashed, please be assured I’m not. I do however listen to the facts given by some of the finest minds out there.  

Brainwash: To make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them. 

The problem is all logical thought goes out the window.....common sense evaporates.....you know that 70 - 80% of people have no symptoms......you know that the average age of mortality is about 80.....you know that most people under the age of 70 that experience symptoms will recover at home.....you know all of this yet you are advocating draconian policies.....lockdowns and curfews similar to the madness that persists in parts of Australia......you know the effects of these lockdowns is not only financial but also social and sadly death for many thousands of people.....cancer.....suicide......people that you would rather not talk about or acknowledge because it interferes with your own narrative.....the one you get off of the TV several times a day.....everyday.

1 minute ago, kungfustu said:

interestingly it was a study done by Australians.....just about says it all really.....

.................  and what's that supposed to mean?

6 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Brainwash: To make someone believe something by repeatedly telling them that it is true and preventing any other information from reaching them. 

The problem is all logical thought goes out the window.....common sense evaporates.....you know that 70 - 80% of people have no symptoms......you know that the average age of mortality is about 80.....you know that most people under the age of 70 that experience symptoms will recover at home.....you know all of this yet you are advocating draconian policies.....lockdowns and curfews similar to the madness that persists in parts of Australia......you know the effects of these lockdowns is not only financial but also social and sadly death for many thousands of people.....cancer.....suicide......people that you would rather not talk about or acknowledge because it interferes with your own narrative.....the one you get off of the TV several times a day.....everyday.

I also know the lockdown here worked, economy has picked up, people are back at work, no-one wearing masks, no restrictions anywhere, it's as though covid never existed. 

I know what I prefer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

They would have got a big pushback from the rest of the EU, as well as all the lefty human rights people in the UK, who want to do their own thing and use arguments like police state.

Given that we're in the middle of Brexit you'd think that any pushback from the EU would've just been ignored, especially given that the EU itself closed internal borders back in March, just like the Australian states.

7 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

interestingly it was a study done by Australians.....just about says it all really.....

So it must be wrong because Australians found it out? Don't quite see your logic. I'm sure some other boffins will check if the studies correct.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

ūüėā.....honestly you cannot even get basic facts right.....reading some of this is like an episode of Cissie and Ada......ūüėā.....the governments/NHS guidelines are 14 days if you have been in contact with someone that tested positive or you live with someone that tested positive.....its a minimum of 10 days if you have tested positive or you have symptoms.

Just wondering why someone with such a low opinion of Australians and Australian research would even bother to post

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rtritudr said:

Given that we're in the middle of Brexit you'd think that any pushback from the EU would've just been ignored, especially given that the EU itself closed internal borders back in March, just like the Australian states.

I'm sure there are plenty of things that the UK would have liked to ignore that came from the EU. They are still negotiating though and I bet they don't want to upset them too much.

Borders didn't stay closed long enough did they. Everyone thought what a splendid idea it would be to go on holiday.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Toots said:

.................  and what's that supposed to mean?

it means its a massive over reaction and designed to scare the sh@t out of people like you....it is a lab test and does not represent reality.....the reality in which it is being used to control you.....read the 2nd paragraph about "disagreements"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

3 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Just wondering why someone with such a low opinion of Australians and Australian research would even bother to post

you shouldn't be so quick to judge.....