register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Corona Virus

2 hours ago, NicF said:

No we don't.  The Spanish flu had an estimated mortality rate of 10% to 20%, the corona virus has a mortality rate of 2%.

According to the WHO seasonal flu causes 290,000 to 650,000 deaths worldwide each year, compared to less than 600 deaths so far for the corona virus.

Stand corrected, although I should say Ambrose stands corrected. I can only assume he was using the world wide mortality rate of all people, not just those infected.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/02/05/chinas-coronavirus-not-remotely-control-world-economy-mounting2/

3 hours ago, newjez said:

True, but,

Essentially we have a virus that has the kill ratio of the Spanish flu, but spreads like the common cold, and it's kill target includes all our world leaders and captions of industry.

If you say it like that, you can understand them being a little concerned about it.

People keep suggesting flu is so much worse yet most of us will happily carry on normal life mixing with people who have it.  I may stand next to someone with flu today whilst getting some shopping.  Would I fly to China and hang out in the badly infected Coronavirus areas, not a chance and I doubt neither would everyone saying it’s all being hyped up by the press and flu is much worse. Flights not allowed into the areas, mass evacuations, people quarantined, kept in their cabins for weeks on cruise ships, screening in airports. Yep, just a virus going about but nothing too much to worry about, it’s just being exasperated by the press and it’s far milder and less dangerous than seasonal flu. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Thanks 1

What makes this virus worse than the flu is the high percentage of people who will get secondary complications.
20% compared to 1% for the seasonal flu.
E.g. need to be given oxygen

The best we can hope for is china can contain this outbreak log enough for a vaccine to be made.

Dr John Campbell gives a good explanation of the new Coronavirus virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1naDPFio04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05ZrMfKUDc

“If there’s large numbers, we’re not going to be able to treat them all
Let’s hope there’s not.”

• Like 1

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

The Lancet reckons the real figures are far higher. 75000 plus already infected in China alone.

• Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

57 minutes ago, Life on easy street said:

What makes this virus worse than the flu is the high percentage of people who will get secondary complications.
20% compared to 1% for the seasonal flu.
E.g. need to be given oxygen

The best we can hope for is china can contain this outbreak log enough for a vaccine to be made.

Dr John Campbell gives a good explanation of the new Coronavirus virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1naDPFio04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05ZrMfKUDc

“If there’s large numbers, we’re not going to be able to treat them all
Let’s hope there’s not.”

Despite building a hospital in ten days, it is becoming obvious Wuhan is swamped. Dead bodies in the street and god knows how many behind closed doors.

We don't have the hospitals to cope with this.

4 minutes ago, newjez said:

Despite building a hospital in ten days, it is becoming obvious Wuhan is swamped. Dead bodies in the street and god knows how many behind closed doors.

We don't have the hospitals to cope with this.

Dead bodies in the street? 
has this been reported , I said it was a lot bigger than first thought and China hit the panic button as they can’t deal with it 

Nature deals with things in a strange way is this it’s way of reducing population? 

I read that with all the people leaving their homes to get to safer areas there are thousands of pets, mainly dogs and cats that are being left behind to starve to death.  If true then it’s so heartbreaking. 

• Sad 1

The information is gradually coming out- if 10 people on one ship got it it is obviously very infectious and no doubt will spread across the world. I have been on that ship last year, it is very clean and they are very health conscious. Obviously far, far worse than the Chinese are letting on, they don't close airports for nothing. 

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

has this been reported , I said it was a lot bigger than first thought and China hit the panic button as they can’t deal with it 

Nature deals with things in a strange way is this it’s way of reducing population? 

Agreed rally 

Ironic that nature is taking china down 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Dead bodies on street

5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I am reading a book by Richard Preston at the moment ironically.

He says that you need a sufficient concentration of people for a virus to take hold, and modern transportation amplifies this. So yes, in a way it is nature's response to over population.

Edited by newjez

Confirmed case of middle aged Brighton man with corona.

Stay safe @newjez

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Confirmed case of middle aged Brighton man with corona.

Stay safe @newjez

I was up in London Tuesday. Heaps coughing on the train. What can you do.

Adults overreacting, the world overreacting just like sars bird flu and embola, the flu kills more worldwide which is a fact, stop this hysterical overreaction please

Edited by Perthbum
  • Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

23 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Adults overreacting, the world overreacting just like sars bird flu and embola, the flu kills more worldwide which is a fact, stop this hysterical overreaction please

Let’s see where we are in a few weeks 

They don’t put people in quarantine costing thousands for no reason , prevention better than cure

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Let’s see where we are in a few weeks 

They don’t put people in quarantine costing thousands for no reason , prevention better than cure

Why so funny PB ? 

53 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Why so funny PB ? 

because in decades and decades man has worried and overacted about every single new virus that has come about, for decades and decades people have said this new virus is going to wipe out millions, for decades and decades this new deadly virus has been forgotten within in 12 months.....thats what I find so funny at the pathetic media driven mass hysteria.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Funny how China are turning stadiums and convention centres into hospitals if it is all hype.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Comparisons to date have been between the entire flu season versus the early stages of coronavirus and therefore not an accurate comparison. Not saying it'll be world war Z in a few months, but seasonal flu mortality rate is 0.01% whereas coronavirus is currently estimated to have a mortality rate of between 2% and 5%. As always the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions are at singificantly higher risk, others may have mild symptoms and recover as with flu. The concerns seem to be focussed on the ease of transmission of coronavirus and patients being contagious prior to showing any symptoms.

For comparison the 1918 spanish flu had a mortality rate of 5%, SARS 10%, MERS 35% (!!) and swine flu 0.02%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:evilface_frowning_s

Feel like I might be coming down with a cold. Using vicks first defence. Should I be worried?

Edited by newjez

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

Feel like I might be coming down with a cold. Using vicks first defence. Should I be worried?

No. Just keep up with the vicks, treat yourself to some lemsip and hope it doesn’t turn into man flu. 

5 minutes ago, newjez said:

Have you been to any Chinese restaurants lately ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Have you been to any Chinese restaurants lately ?

I had an eye test for glaucoma the other day, and the nurse was Chinese. Plus I sat next to a Chinese man at the station. But neither were coughing. There were people sniffing and coughing on the train, but none of them were south east Asians.

Nine months wait for the eye test by the way, so we are screwed if it does get here big time.

Edited by newjez

A lot of people are avoiding Chinese restaurants and I tell you what, I'm not going to Costco til its over- last time we went half of them were wearing masks and coughing. No hands over mouths, they don't bother when wearing masks. Gross.

Just now, starlight7 said:

A lot of people are avoiding Chinese restaurants and I tell you what, I'm not going to Costco til its over- last time we went half of them were wearing masks and coughing. No hands over mouths, they don't bother when wearing masks. Gross.

A lot of Chinese kids at my son's college, but apparently they are from Beijing so that's ok. My son has had a bad cold recently, but I think it's too soon, and he's nearly over it.