Advise Please - Citizen by Descent

Vanessababa

Happy Friday 🙂

I hope someone will be able to help me a little.

My father was born in Adelaide in 1952 and remained there for 3 years, would I be able to apply for Citizen by Descent?

I only have a photo of his birth certificate not the original, is there any way that I may apply to receive a copy and would it be mailed to the UK?

Thank you all so much in advance x

Thank you for your reply 😊

I am a little confused and now worried, under the eligibility criteria I think I may have misread 🙈and my future looks not quite like I hoped.

Hope you guys may be able to help? 
Would my dad have been given citizenship at the time of birth? My family went over as £10 poms and my father was born a few months after their arrival.

I am now really confused as how would I find out if he is still a citizen, should we apply online?

Any help would be so grateful appreciate ❤️

5 minutes ago, Vanessababa said:

Thank you for your reply 😊

I am a little confused and now worried, under the eligibility criteria I think I may have misread 🙈and my future looks not quite like I hoped.

Hope you guys may be able to help? 
Would my dad have been given citizenship at the time of birth? My family went over as £10 poms and my father was born a few months after their arrival.

I am now really confused as how would I find out if he is still a citizen, should we apply online?

Any help would be so grateful appreciate ❤️

I'm not an expert but my brother was born in Australia and he has citizenship.

You should be able to apply for the birth certificate. Try searching on the south Australian government website.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vanessababa said:

Happy Friday 🙂

I hope someone will be able to help me a little.

My father was born in Adelaide in 1952 and remained there for 3 years, would I be able to apply for Citizen by Descent?

I only have a photo of his birth certificate not the original, is there any way that I may apply to receive a copy and would it be mailed to the UK?

Thank you all so much in advance x

Generally speaking what matters is whether your parent was an Australian citizen when you were born, although there are possible routes for children of former citizens. This is a complex area and you won’t get solid advice on a forum, you really should get some specialized advice tailored to your very specific circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

Hi there you can apply online via Birth, Deaths and Marriages for South Australia for the Birth Certificate. Although i'm not sure if they will post it to the UK.

If he has done nothing to recind his citizenship then ii's likely he still has it and did so when you were born. Ps. If you have a photo of the birth certificate that wiil come in handy as it will have a file number on it and that makes it easier to find when applying they will ask if you have the file number. Good luck i think you may have a good chance with what you're trying to achieve. 

Hello again no you won't need the original document.I myself have applied for replacement documents previously and it's really straight forward. However i'm not sure if they will post to the UK there would be a way to  aquire it from the UK i would think. Perhaps someone who has done so previously will see your post or just have a look on the website. Otherwise try contacting Australian House in the UK i'm sure they'd be able to advise you. With a bit of luck someone who has gone through the process you are trying to do will see your post and can offer some help. Good luck.

Edited by Guest
Grammer

• 1 month later...

Hi

Hope everyone is well? 🙂

I have all documentation now ready to upload and send over the application, fingers crossed 🤞

Looking at different areas in Adelaide and really like  Henely Beach, Port Noarlunga and Hallett Cove, as I have an 11 year old would anyone have advice on these areas?

x

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...