Medicals for Aged Parent Visa Subclass 804

DavidAN

Hi all,

I’m interested in people’s experiences with applying for the Aged Parent Visa onshore (Subclass 804).

My father has landed in Australia on a tourist visa (ETA) and now wants to stay indefinitely. He is 85 years old and suffers from a few conditions like most people his age.

Whilst we could apply for the new 5/10 year tourist visa (Subclass 870) - offshore - or the contributory parent visa (on-shore), both will require medicals, the former pretty much immediately, the latter after approximately 4 years.

Our migration agent is advising us with regards to the 804 that the medical won’t be required until it is ready to be granted (some 35 years on present estimates).

Can anyone share experiences of what timelines they were asked to sit a medical (i.e. at application, just before grant or somewhere in-between).

Genuine cases, please, no kind but speculative responses 🙂

I can't see much point in applying for the contributory visa as the waiting time if he applies now is more like 6 to 8 years.  

I believe there is a preliminary medical assessment at the time of application for the 804, but it's not a full medical.   Assuming he passes that, then there's no medical until he reaches the head of the queue in 30+ years. 

The bigger issue is his health in the meantime.  Assuming he was living in the UK immediately before he arrived in Australia, he's entitled to reciprocal health care under the Medicare system.  However he won't be entitled to any other benefits or aged care support.  No seniors' card or pensioner health card to reduce the cost of prescriptions.  Plus his British pension will be frozen at the rate it is now for the rest of his life.   

That may not be an issue if you're able to house him and provide care, but if that's not the case, be aware that he can't just hop on a plane, go back to the UK and get treated on the NHS or get benefits there.  He would first have to re-establish legal residency (being a citizen is no help).  

• Like 1

Hi Marisa,

Do you have any details on the preliminary medical? I haven’t heard of this before. Do you have direct experience of this?

Would the British pension be frozen at the point of Visa grant or Visa application? I can't imaging he lose British residency at the point of application?
Or on the grant of the bridging visa?

9 minutes ago, DavidAN said:
Hi Marisa,

Do you have any details on the preliminary medical? I haven’t heard of this before. Do you have direct experience of this?

Would the British pension be frozen at the point of Visa grant or Visa application? I can't imaging he lose British residency at the point of application?
Or on the grant of the bridging visa?

I can’t help with details of the 804 medical, sorry, but I do know from a UK couple who have been on the 804 visa since 2011 that they have had no problems accessing health care with Medicare since they have lived here on a bridging visa. One had a replacement hip and the other some eye problem fixed. They anticipate another 2 years before getting to the top of the queue. I can’t remember if they had private health as well, but they had definitely used reciprocal Medicare. 

We had our medicals for the 143 pathway visa last year in Brisbane. We had an ex ray, blood test, eye test, weight height, then saw a Dr. who checked our health history and gave us a check up. We were luckily in reasonable health in our 70’s, both have atrial fibrillation, I have osteoporosis, and the odd niggle. To the best of my knowledge they are looking for serious health problems including TB that are going to be considerable cost to Australia., but as I previously mentioned I don’t know about the health check up or conditions for the 804.

The UK state pension is frozen from the time you leave UK, however if you return to UK for a holiday, you inform the pension department and the amount is increased during your visit. It then reverts to the original frozen amount when back in Australia. We go to Uk most years for 3 months, so make sure we get every penny!!! but we were on a different visa the old 410 retirement visa, so not on a bridging visa that requires you to apply for another visa if you want to leave the country. Bridging visa B.

Good luck

1 hour ago, DavidAN said:

He will lose British residency as soon as he stops living there. It has nothing to do with whether he has a right to live anywhere else.

The problem with reciprocal Medicare is that it doesn't cover everything, only necessary intervention so anyone elderly thinking of staying would be sensible to take out private health insurance. If it's an elective procedure they expect you to go home for it and that can be tricky if you are a Pom because if you've left the country for more than a holiday you're no longer residents for NHS purposes. 

5 hours ago, DavidAN said:

Thanks Ramot, when did you have to do the medical? At the time of application or just before grant?

Thats what I am trying to establish.

Just before grant, but I have no idea about when the medical is  for the 804? but there have been stories in the press about people failing them, at the late stage nearing grant?  As I mentioned we were in. We were in a Different situation to all other posters on this thread, so no point in comparing time line.

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

The problem with reciprocal Medicare is that it doesn't cover everything, only necessary intervention so anyone elderly thinking of staying would be sensible to take out private health insurance. If it's an elective procedure they expect you to go home for it and that can be tricky if you are a Pom because if you've left the country for more than a holiday you're no longer residents for NHS purposes. 

Quoll as I posted above, I was surprised when I was told by this couple that they had had no problems with any treatment they needed on Medicare. I might try to have another chat when I next go to Sydney, as it might clarify things for others. 

4 minutes ago, ramot said:

Quoll as I posted above, I was surprised when I was told by this couple that they had had no problems with any treatment they needed on Medicare. I might try to have another chat when I next go to Sydney, as it might clarify things for others. 

LOL Yes. It's hard enough for a citizen to get a hip replacement these days!  I guess the issue is whether it was declared elective or not. I can imagine that a hip replacement following a fall would be necessary whereas a hip replacement because of cartilage deteriorating could be elective. Similarly with eye problems - a detached retina would be necessary, cataracts maybe not no much.

I remember a few years ago someone on a reciprocal was refused a biopsy or some scan for potential cancer which, of course, in their minds read necessary but not according to the PBS schedule. Fortunately, that person discovered that their family was covered by an employer health insurance arrangement. You never can tell.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

My Dad has been on the Bridging Visa A since arrival in Australia 4½ years ago. He is in the queue for 804.

He did have to undergo a medical soon after applying. I don't believe it was too onerous. He also has one or two medical issues (he's had heart attack and stroke in UK) but this was not sufficient for him to fail the medical.

On the pension side. Yes the UK pension gets frozen once you declare that you are no longer a resident for tax purposes. Practically if Dad is living in Australia then he is a tax resident of Australia. This is advantageous because the tax in Australia is lower rate than UK, so my Dad actually gets a refund from ATO, based on his UK income and tax paid. 

8 minutes ago, feltron_cq said:

My Dad has been on the Bridging Visa A since arrival in Australia 4½ years ago. He is in the queue for 804.

He did have to undergo a medical soon after applying. I don't believe it was too onerous. He also has one or two medical issues (he's had heart attack and stroke in UK) but this was not sufficient for him to fail the medical.

On the pension side. Yes the UK pension gets frozen once you declare that you are no longer a resident for tax purposes. Practically if Dad is living in Australia then he is a tax resident of Australia. This is advantageous because the tax in Australia is lower rate than UK, so my Dad actually gets a refund from ATO, based on his UK income and tax paid. 

Note that UK pension income is not taxable in Australia when residing in Australia as the holder of a temporary residency visa - it continues to be taxable in the UK, where a personal allowance should continue to be available, even if not UK resident.

A BV is a temporary visa under the Migration Act 1958.

Best regards.

1 hour ago, feltron_cq said:

Thanks for that, feltron_cq.

On 25/01/2020 at 15:57, ramot said:

Just before grant, but I have no idea about when the medical is  for the 804? but there have been stories in the press about people failing them, at the late stage nearing grant?  As I mentioned we were in. We were in a Different situation to all other posters on this thread, so no point in comparing time line.

Hi buddy can the medical rejection happen after the AOS money has been paid

On 24/01/2020 at 07:32, Marisawright said:

I can't see much point in applying for the contributory visa as the waiting time if he applies now is more like 6 to 8 years.  

I believe there is a preliminary medical assessment at the time of application for the 804, but it's not a full medical.   Assuming he passes that, then there's no medical until he reaches the head of the queue in 30+ years. 

The bigger issue is his health in the meantime.  Assuming he was living in the UK immediately before he arrived in Australia, he's entitled to reciprocal health care under the Medicare system.  However he won't be entitled to any other benefits or aged care support.  No seniors' card or pensioner health card to reduce the cost of prescriptions.  Plus his British pension will be frozen at the rate it is now for the rest of his life.   

That may not be an issue if you're able to house him and provide care, but if that's not the case, be aware that he can't just hop on a plane, go back to the UK and get treated on the NHS or get benefits there.  He would first have to re-establish legal residency (being a citizen is no help).  

The 103/804 queue might well get out to 30 plus years but they are currently processing August 2010 which is less than 10 years

6 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

The 103/804 queue might well get out to 30 plus years but they are currently processing August 2010 which is less than 10 years

That may be true, however that was ten years ago.   Most migration sites are now quoting the 30-year figure for people who apply today.  

I understand the government really wanted to stop a lot of the family reunion visas, but it had to pass legisation to do it, and it didn't get past the Senate.  So they've just gone on a go-slow instead.  Thank Peter Dutton.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That may be true, however that was ten years ago.   Most migration sites are now quoting the 30-year figure for people who apply today.  

I understand the government really wanted to stop a lot of the family reunion visas, but it had to pass legisation to do it, and it didn't get past the Senate.  So they've just gone on a go-slow instead.  Thank Peter Dutton.

Well I thank Peter Dutton every day since I got PR, as he met with our group on the old retirement visa, promised to look into our case, stuck to his promise, and introduced the pathway 143 for us. Honestly he has a difficult job, and yes has made mistakes, but the position is a thankless one. Knowing people in immigration it’s interesting to hear their views on the various immigration ministers. At least he hasn’t introduced retrospective changes to visa conditions like Chris Evans, that screwed up thousands of already lodged and accepted onshore visa applications. Now that really caused untold misery, with many waiting years here on bridging visas, before finally being told to b——-r off.

31/2 years of a bridging visa  in our sons case, who had done nothing wrong, and instead of the 1 month normal time to be processed, the rules were changed 2 weeks after he applied with everything  front loaded as required, for 31/2 years uncertainty and worry. He was one of a very small number of lucky ones.

I  have no idea on the numbers applying for these visas in comparison to 10 years ago, or how many were issued then in comparison to now, but at least new applicants should be aware of the waiting times before they apply now.

lets be honest Australia doesn’t want old people and if you apply onshore for the 804 visa.and come from UK you will cost the country money being eligible for Medicare so they won’t want many here, as sadly we become more expensive as we age.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 04:54, Alan Collett said:

Note that UK pension income is not taxable in Australia when residing in Australia as the holder of a temporary residency visa - it continues to be taxable in the UK, where a personal allowance should continue to be available, even if not UK resident.

A BV is a temporary visa under the Migration Act 1958.

Best regards.

Is it just pension income that is not taxed in Australia while on a temp visa? Or does this apply to all types of UK income?

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Is it just pension income that is not taxed in Australia while on a temp visa? Or does this apply to all types of UK income?

We were on a long term temporary retirement visa for 16 years before getting PR last year. All our income came from UK, absolutely no Australian income at all. We only paid UK tax. 

This was only our experience and I advise everyone to check with a tax expert, not to take our experience as fact.

Alan Collett is the best person to ask.

Not easy getting your tax right when you get PR. and become eligible to pay Australian tax, plus some UK tax. You aren’t taxed twice, but it takes some sorting out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/In-detail/Foreign-income-of-Australian-residents/Foreign-income-exemption-for-temporary-residents---introduction/

Best regards.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys ,

I have applied for the 804 parent visa , Do you guys have any idea how long does it take to get an acknowledgement from the Perth centre, I mean the Bridging visa. The documents reached today as of this writing.

22 hours ago, ausdre said:

Hi Guys ,

I have applied for the 804 parent visa , Do you guys have any idea how long does it take to get an acknowledgement from the Perth centre, I mean the Bridging visa. The documents reached today as of this writing.

You have asked this same question many times (at least 5 that I can see) in different threads - the answer remains the same as the one I already gave you: at the moment it is generally taking several weeks to get an acknowledgment from the parent visa section. 

22 minutes ago, paulhand said:

You have asked this same question many times (at least 5 that I can see) in different threads - the answer remains the same as the one I already gave you: at the moment it is generally taking several weeks to get an acknowledgment from the parent visa section. 

Thank You for answering, What I am asking is does Bridging visa comes after the acknowledgement . I have put in 5 thread because some threads are not active and some are so you dont know who will reply.