Currently on a tourist visa

Hi I'm Allan currently on a tourist Visa I'm 46 years old I have a level 1 and  2 Diploma in painting and Decorating which I completed in the UK and have 20 years time served in the trade I can also do tape and jointing what is my best option to get a job and the best visa I have applied for a few jobs but I here some companies don't want the hassle of filling forms out I here it can be a bit of a ball ache for them any help or company will to sponsor me would be a massive bonus thanks Allan 

27 minutes ago, Allan Anderson said:

Hi I'm Allan currently on a tourist Visa I'm 46 years old 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the cutoff for a permanent visa is 45 years old, so the best you can hope is to to get a few years on an employer-sponsored visa, and then you'll have to go home (unless you have a child who's Australian, in which case you might get a parent visa).  

You are right, employers don't want the hassle because there's so much paperwork involved, and it's so complex they'll have to pay a migration agent to prepare the application for them.  And then they have to pay a sizeable fee (which you are not allowed to pay for them).  So you can understand that if there's even a half-decent local candidate, they're going to hire him instead of you. 

A couple of  things to consider:

- I've seen some people think "I'll go for the temporary visa and hope another visa becomes available in a few years time".   Sorry, but it won't happen.  Every year, Australia changes the rules to make it harder for people to get visas, so there's no way a more generous visa will ever be created.  They've  reduced the number of visas, reduced the number of places, raised the age limit, raised the points requirement, and so on.  That trend isn't going to change, because Australia is a developed country now and able to train its own people. 

- if you do manage to find a sponsor, you'll end up heading back to the UK in your 50's.  You should think about how easy/hard you'd find it to settle again and whether you'd hit any problems getting back into the UK workforce at that age.   Maybe it's better in the UK but in Australia it gets tougher to get a new job once you're over 50. 

Edited by Marisawright

42 minutes ago, Allan Anderson said:

Yeah I know it can be a massive pain my second opinion is New Zealand as I know the age is higher than Sydney reason for Australia I have family and friends here I also have a friend in new Zealand so that's my plan B and I think that's what I may have to do plus don't fancy heading back to the uk.

In that case, I'd go straight for the NZ visa.   Like I said, if you go for an employer-sponsored (482) visa in Sydney, you're guaranteed to get chucked out eventually, because you're not allowed to keep on renewing the 482 visa.    And by the time you're getting chucked out of Australia, it may be too late to apply for NZ.