Thai Resort / Dubai

Irish83

Depends what you are into but a week for Dubai would be too long IMO.  There isn't that much to do there.

Also with Iran & the US sabre rattling, not sure I'd want to be in the middle east at the moment.

Dubai is very expensive for alcohol too ($15/16 a standard bottle of corona) although good for food and mocktails for non drinkers.

Given the choice, I'd go to Asia or even NZ.

Well really, I'd go snowboarding in Japan but may not be your thing.

Thailand and Dubai are both great places in my opinion. I’ve been for short (3 or 4 day) trips to Dubai but also did a 10 day trip once. There really is more to do than people realise including souks, museums, beaches, golf, sand-boarding, 4X4 driving, shopping, water parks, big bus tours, cultural experiences etc and the proximity to other places make it great for using as a base and travelling to see the truly beautiful Fjords of Oman or the sights in Abu Dhabi...fantastic.
Like others have mentioned Thailand is also good to visit and Pattaya is one of my favourites alongside Bangkok.

It really depends what you like to do.  Are you happy to seek out places and get local transport and diy or do you prefer organised day trips?  Both can be done in Dubai and Thailand.  I agree get beyond Dubai glitz and there is a lot to see and do.  I prefer Thailand of the two ( been to both a few times).  We are off to Bangkok and Koh Samui later this year, a holiday of contrast as the Koh Samui hotel is small , not in the busy resort areas, just a small village but a lovely beach front traditional wood hut accommodation (with mod cons).  I like to get out of any hotel and patronise the local cafes and restaurants though.

should have said its for the last week of our first honeymoon (long story) so im thinking of leaning towards thailand. 
ideally would like a resort that is all inclusive but also able to leave to and do activities a few of the days.

Even though it’s a honeymoon it seems a shame to go All-Inc somewhere like Thailand unless there isn’t much close by once you get outside of the hotel grounds.
There are usually so many restaurants and bars that serve high quality food and even the street food is plentiful and delicious. Just avoid buying pre-cut ‘fresh’ fruit street side [emoji1785]

We did half board at the hotel i quoted above. It has about 7 different eateries on site so a vast choice even for the picky eaters. This also gave the opportunity to go out and explore and taste the local cuisine if we wanted. A must for anyone who goes is doing the Monkey island day trip on a catamaran, we booked it via the hotel and everything about the day was top quality from the boat, to the food, the staff and surroundings. 

We did full board in Lanzarote a few years ago when we went back to Europe, i am yet to find anywhere nearer that offers the same options and where fully inclusive actually means fully inclusive.

Cal x

On 23/01/2020 at 16:43, Irish83 said:

ummm just somewhere different with lots to do as well relax. 

Afraid of going to a thai resort and not being able to be active when we decide to.

Don't forget to check the weather.  Go to Dubai at the wrong time of year and you won't want to step outside the hotel, except to go to the air-conditioned shopping malls.   It's like stepping into an oven. 

Of course, Thailand can be hot and humid at the wrong time of year, and it has a monsoon season too.

Edited by Marisawright

On 23/01/2020 at 12:37, Irish83 said:

Hi 

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. 

I am looking at a week's holiday in either an all inclusive thai resort or potentially dubai for a week. 
Has anyone any suggestions for either?

Cheers 

What do you want to do in Thailand,quiet/ noisy.

Lived/ worked there for a few years.

Hua Hin is good for a quiet holiday,a kind of German/ Swiss retirement village so good Thai and German food.Rapidly expanding though.

Pattaya is noisy and can be very overpowering.First and second road are now Indian/ Chinese mainly after the Russians were kind of kicked out.

British etc are on 3 rd road,soi buakhow.Live music and some good eateries,Thailand is renowned for food.Sadly the street food culture is gone.Loved just eating Thai food on the street.

Bangkok has excellent transport using the sky train,buy a daily ticket,3 headed elephant park  at Samrong is good.Kings palace and temple of the emerald Buddha are a must 

Thailand is a place people love or hate,it can be very overpowering,especially Bangkok.

I like Chiang Mai in the north,if you haven' t been to Thailand before then guided is best.

Been going there for work/ stopover from around 1980.Google Bangkok skytrain and it will give you the train stops and sights to see at each stop.The underground duplicates the Sky train mostly 

Skytrain runs from the airport to a station near Victory monument( forget the name of it) then get around the sky train system from there.Main tourist is Asoke and Nana stations on Sukhumvit road.

From the airport there is a bus service to Hua Hin ( 3.5 hours ) and Pattaya ( 2 hours down the tollway ).

There is a ferry from Pattaya across the bay to Hua Hin,2 ish hours if I remember rightly.

I' d be giving the middle east a miss.Go to Singapore from Bangkok.Then on to the UK.

Google Geylang for Singapore hotels.The station is Aljunied and then use the Singapore transit system to get around.Chinatown ,Harbour front ( for Sentosa / universal studios etc).Go to Haw Paw ( tiger balm ) gardens.You need to change stations a bit in Singapore for different lines but the system is excellent and  around S$4 for a return to anywhere.

• Like 1

The tourist bus for Hua Hin etc leaves at gate 8 at the airport.

If you go through Singapore then depending which airline you travel with the 22 .40 ish plane to London is the Melbourne ( or Sydney) flight.The 23.15 ish is the Sydney ( or Melbourne) flight to London.Get the early one,usually an A 300 (  900 ) rather than the A 380.I don' t like them but personal preference.

Get to London 6 to 6.45 am for connections UK wide .That's the BA / Qantas code share.

We'll be in Singapore and Pattaya in about 3 weeks time.People from the UK that I went to school with.Wives etc having the over 65s knees up and requesting Stairway to Heaven and Smoke on the water for the bands to play.Good fun usually.

Edited by Whey aye

On 24/01/2020 at 16:24, Irish83 said:

should have said its for the last week of our first honeymoon (long story) so im thinking of leaning towards thailand. 

ideally would like a resort that is all inclusive but also able to leave to and do activities a few of the days.

I'd go Vietnam or Cambodia.  The Thai baht is very strong right now and it's not a cheap place anymore.  Vietnam are spending a fortune on their coastline with new hotels all the time, Cambodia is still quite 3rd world in places, but you have the attraction of Siam Reap and Angkor Wat.

If you're set on Thailand and want beaches I'd look at Khao Lak or Samui, some great resorts resorts and lots to do, but not as er,....."busy" as Phuket or Pattaya. 

If you don't need the beach/snorkelling or diving and can handle a pool, as Whey aye says...Chiang Mai is brilliant. 

You generally find that food is much better and spicier outside the big hotels, and the luxury resorts tend to be a bit isolated so you're a captive audience for paying their sky high prices for beer and food and excursions.  Do some research on Tripadvisor for great quality hotels, but within areas where other businesses thrive or you might be bored senseless.

Time of year is also important, monsoon seasons are not at the same time on either side of the gulf of Thailand.