Property Manager delayed response - Melbourne

Denson

Hi,

I've been renting in Melbourne CBD for more than a year now. I had a number of requests with my agent about a broken tv, vacuum and leaking windows, which are all part of the property. 99% of the time, the agent takes a very long time to respond to my emails or txt messages. Sometimes I don't even get a response.

My question is, is there anything I can do about the delayed responses? Or I just have to look for another place?

If the repairs aren’t done 14 days after the landlord or agent received your notice, or if the repairs aren’t done to a good enough standard, you can write to Consumer Affairs Victoria to request a free inspection.

Use the Request for repairs inspection form available on the Consumer Affairs website.

If the landlord does not respond

If you have taken reasonable steps to advise the landlord of the repairs in writing and they have failed to respond within the 14-day time frame, you can contact us on 1300 55 81 81 for information and advice. Calling us costs the same as a local call. Additional charges may apply if you are calling from overseas, on a mobile or payphone.

If you are unsure whether it is the landlord's responsibility to fix the problem, you can ask us to carry out an investigation for a non-urgent repair. To do this, you will need to send us a:

You may also request an investigation into whether the landlord has failed in their duty to ensure that the property is maintained in good order, using the same form.

Edited by Toots

4 minutes ago, Denson said:

Can I still can still write to Consumer Affairs, 14 days after the landlord or agent said that they have forwarded my request to a 3rd party service provider?

Have you asked them for the name and phone number of the third party service providers so you can chase them up?  

What kind of lease do you have that a vacuum cleaner and TV are included in the lease?  That's extremely unusual.   I suggest double-checking the wording of your lease to see what the provisions are relating to things that are not fixtures and fittings. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I asked that already but their reply, again, was that my request was already forwarded. I'll chase them again. It's just stressful. 3 windows are leaking.

@Marisawright, I'm renting an apartment which is fully furnished, appliances are were already there and was included in the documents that I signed.

9 minutes ago, Denson said:

Yeah, I asked that already but their reply, again, was that my request was already forwarded. I'll chase them again. It's just stressful. 3 windows are leaking.

@Marisawright, I'm renting an apartment which is fully furnished, appliances are were already there and was included in the documents that I signed.

So did you ask them to give you the name and phone number of the third party provider?    Did they explain why they couldn't give you that information?  

If they won't give them to you, explain that in that case, you will be making a formal complaint to Consumer Affairs. You may get a different response. 

If the windows are leaking and you're in an apartment block, it's the strata manager that's responsible, so that's who the agent would have contacted.  You should be able to find the strata contact numbers on a notice board somewhere.  If they say they haven't been contacted, then you know the agent is lying!

If the appliances are documented in the condition report and the lease specifically says that all contents are the responsibility of the landlord, you're entitled to have them repaired.  Do check the exact wording, though, as sometimes it's a grey area.

Note that if you want repairs done, you must put them in writing, which means an email.  Text messages are not enough.  Make sure you are following the correct procedure for reporting faults, depending on what the agent asks for.  Some agents have a particular email you must contact or a form to fill in.

Edited by Marisawright