Mandurah/Rockingham and British Pies!

BobHatton

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. We have been living in Oz now for 20 years and all but one of those years has been spent in Queensland (Hervey Bay). We're seriously thinking of moving over to WA and have looked at various options and have narrowed it down to Mandurah or Rockingham. We have visited both of those areas on a recce and don't mind either. Which are the better areas to retire to? I've heard good things about Dawesville but would encourage any opinions, good bad or indifferent. Any advice?  We would be on a buying budget of just under $350K

Also, where in the World (specifically in WA) could we find TRUE British pies? By that, we mean TRUE meat and potato pies with short crust pastry throughout! You know, like a Hollands pie 'back home'. After over 20 years of eating Aussie pies with their flaky pastry, they STILL don't cut it. Please, please tell us that there is a British Bakery in WA who know how to make a British Pie! With hundreds of thousands of ex-pats living in WA there simply MUST be a British Pie maker!

Here's hoping!

🙂

hollands_meat_potato.jpg

Goggle says there's a British bakery in Kinross (but it's miles away from Mandurah) - have you thought about getting a pie maker and you can make your own?  Mandurah and Rockingham have a large Brit contingent so you might be lucky.  I can't comment on the area's you mention as other than a brief visit we haven't spent much time there as preference as us living closer to the city. 

Hey mate,

Don't know them well but both have some dodgy areas.

I spent a year working (but not living) in Rocko, nice on the surface but a fair few dodgy characters around.  I live near the city but my colleagues down that way all drove in from elsewhere everyday.

Safety bay is one of the nicer areas I believe.

I suggest renting for 6 months first to get a feel for the areas.  Check out the various shopping centres etc.

Hi,

We’ve been in the Halls Head area of Mandurah for four years and it’s a lovely place.Mandurah is growing all the time and lots of new houses are being built. Dawesville is beautiful and you can get a lot for your money down there.There isn’t as much infrastructure but it’s growing all the time. It’s about a 20 min drive to Mandurah train station from Dawesville and then 50 mins to Perth. There are plenty of areas to choose from from Rockingham down to Mandurah, all reasonably priced. You may see that Rockingham and Mandurah get bad press about drug problems but it’s certainly nothing compared to what I saw in inner City Manchester. The lovely Very Stormy who regularly posts on here used to live in Dawesville and I’m sure he can tell you a lot more. As for pies, I’m the worst person to ask as I’m a vegetarian. I’ve yet to find a good cheese and onion pie though!

Edited by Cleowag

Being Ex Perthite and having visited the area many times the term British Pies - are widely unknown - complaints from my British husband on this - He just does not understand the love of a good meat pie in Australia.  We also commented on how hard it was to find a good traditional Pork Pie.  As Mandurah is like literally mini England with the number of relocators there I am always super surprised no one has opened an English type cafe and bakery with all these things.  Sorry to be no help in finding a place but there is an extremely great Bakery on the way out of Mandurah on the main road through to the South West but not British sadly. 

Best of luck and let us know if you do find one! We might need the info in a year or so 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Mandurah and have no complaints. I actually live near Dawesville as well. I'd recommend it as an affordable area on your budget and a nice place to live. There is talk of a supermarket being built, land has been flattened and cleared, but Woolworths in Falcon is a few minutes away. We have many friends in Dawesville and they all love it there, it's quiet and still not far from centre of town. I'd suggest it takes about an hour to get into Perth by car in quiet traffic.

On 20/01/2020 at 05:01, BobHatton said:

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. We have been living in Oz now for 20 years and all but one of those years has been spent in Queensland (Hervey Bay). We're seriously thinking of moving over to WA and have looked at various options and have narrowed it down to Mandurah or Rockingham. We have visited both of those areas on a recce and don't mind either. Which are the better areas to retire to? I've heard good things about Dawesville but would encourage any opinions, good bad or indifferent. Any advice?  We would be on a buying budget of just under $350K

Also, where in the World (specifically in WA) could we find TRUE British pies? By that, we mean TRUE meat and potato pies with short crust pastry throughout! You know, like a Hollands pie 'back home'. After over 20 years of eating Aussie pies with their flaky pastry, they STILL don't cut it. Please, please tell us that there is a British Bakery in WA who know how to make a British Pie! With hundreds of thousands of ex-pats living in WA there simply MUST be a British Pie maker!

Here's hoping!

🙂

hollands_meat_potato.jpg

Go to Miami Bake House near Mandurah. Their pies are just what you are looking for !

They have a few more outlets now who sell their pies, we used to drive down to Mandurah just to buy a pie.

Look at their website for locations, it is miamibakehouse.com.au

Enjoy 😊

• 4 months later...

My brother lives in Halls Head and the other lives in Erskine, we are going to be looking at houses anywhere from Halls Head up to Singleton but to be honest,  all suburbs have good and bad reviews I'm sure, I lived in Rockingham as a child but it has changed so much now.

Good luck with wherever you choose.

Can't help about the pie situation as I dont eat them!!

It is quite a limited budget to buy a property for $350k. That usually attracts people from different socio-economic groups you may not identify with. Both Rockingham and Mandurah don't have a great reputation, but as some commented. Some areas may be better than others.