Seeking areas in Queensland

mariaandmike

We are seeking areas in Queensland for a family of 2 kids and 3 children who will be 2 teens and just under 10 when we move.  Schools/colleges are important.  We visited OZ and travelled from Brisbane up the East coast in 2016 but was in holiday mode.  We loved Hervey bay and Byron Bay.  We had a short stay in Mackay too but again in holiday mode.

Any areas to avoid?

Best schools/colleges?  

Also we will have our cavalier king charles and cat.  Heard different stories on cats in Oz be interesting to find out more.  I understand we would need an outdoor pen?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Do you have a visa?  

My main issue with Queensland is the summer heat.  I find it intolerably hot and sticky.  Not a problem when you're in holiday mode and can laze on the beach, but not so much fun when you're lugging your shopping to the car or want to go out for a walk.   Everyone is different so only you know how you react to heat and cold.   I find the Sunshine Coast has a micro-climate, still warm but less sticky, for some reason.  

BTW Byron Bay is in NSW.  Some other nice coastal towns in NSW too, like Coffs Harbour.  

Some councils have very strict rules about cats and some Aussies are very anti-cat.  It varies from area to area.  Regardless of that, it's simply irresponsible to allow a cat to roam free in Australia as native animals aren't used to predators.   Not all cats prey on wildlife but they do like to play with new things, and playing with a native animal can easily injure it to the point of death.  So you do need an outdoor run, or a secure garden with roller bars on the top of the fences so the cat can't jump over. 

Edited by Marisawright

Queensland is an awesome place with so many beautiful areas.  We migrated here over 13 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. It is a BIG place though, what do you guys do for work? It may be worth checking out the job front and then looking into areas to settle.

Cal x

• Like 2

On 16/01/2020 at 23:48, Marisawright said:

Do you have a visa?  

My main issue with Queensland is the summer heat.  I find it intolerably hot and sticky.  Not a problem when you're in holiday mode and can laze on the beach, but not so much fun when you're lugging your shopping to the car or want to go out for a walk.   Everyone is different so only you know how you react to heat and cold.   I find the Sunshine Coast has a micro-climate, still warm but less sticky, for some reason.  

BTW Byron Bay is in NSW.  Some other nice coastal towns in NSW too, like Coffs Harbour.  

Some councils have very strict rules about cats and some Aussies are very anti-cat.  It varies from area to area.  Regardless of that, it's simply irresponsible to allow a cat to roam free in Australia as native animals aren't used to predators.   Not all cats prey on wildlife but they do like to play with new things, and playing with a native animal can easily injure it to the point of death.  So you do need an outdoor run, or a secure garden with roller bars on the top of the fences so the cat can't jump over. 

We are in the process for state nomination visa. We also have the option of NSW and a few others.  

My husband works in hot temps overseas so second nature for him, I would have to adapt as so used to wet cold days in UK.

Yes i guessed we would need a pen, which having been to oz and seen the beautiful wildlife i totally agree.

Its nice to see you on here as i remember you were great with information last time we were thinking about moving.

Maria 🙂

On 17/01/2020 at 01:04, calNgary said:

Queensland is an awesome place with so many beautiful areas.  We migrated here over 13 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. It is a BIG place though, what do you guys do for work? It may be worth checking out the job front and then looking into areas to settle.

Cal x

Thanks Cal,

I am a social worker, my husband is a mechanical engineer and also a gas fitter.  He currently works as a service manager (engineering) overseas.

My husband is keen on Queensland but is also used to very hot temps so will be easier for him.

Its been a dream for us since 2006 and i am almost over the age limit so this is our year!! 🙂 I have been delayed by failing ielts by half a point and PTE by similar.  Totally frustrating having to take when I have a degree.  

Its lovely to hear that you have settled, neighbours have moved and initially rented  their house out, it has now sold so guess their staying too.

My husband is currently looking for a role to transfer over too.  Ideally I would prefer to move with a job offer.

Maria x

• Like 1