Aussie Electrical items in UK

Franklin05

For those of you who brought Aussie electrical items back to the UK, what did you do about changing plugs over to fit the UK sockets?

Did you just cut off the Aussie plugs and reattach to UK sockets or get adaptors? I am thinking we might just cut most off and replace, and maybe get a few adaptors for some items. 

We just replaced the plugs. That was only small stuff like lamps though - we didn't bring TV's or kitchen appliances back. The only thing I did bring back and haven't done is my sewing machine, because I'm not sure it'd work, with it having a motor (and I've not had chance to do any sewing anyway!). I thought it might affect the timing of the machine, and therefore the stitch quality.

Edited by LKC

The only electrical's I am taking is my PC which I'll just get a new cord with a UK plug on the end, and my Nespresso machine (lol yes I love my coffee that much) and can get the same Pods over there for it. I'll either cut the plug off or just get an adapter for that, oh and my Echo Show 5 (Alexa) pretty sure I could just get a UK version cord for that too. I'm not taking TV's etc as I heard they can be a pain in the arse to tune/get working despite Aus/UK using same system. I need a new one anyway mine is pretty old now. 🙂 

ETA: As long as your stuff is rated 220-240 volts it's fine. UK being 230, Aus 240. 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 15:32, Amber Snowball said:

I bought a couple of aussie gang boards, think that’s what they are called! Then just changed the plug on them, so only changed one plug not several! 
I think for a tv or fridge or something I’d change the main plug though. Mine were just for recharging garden tools and small items used occasionally.

Wish we'd thought of that we're giving all of ours away! 

On 16/01/2020 at 21:22, Vickie78 said:

The only electrical's I am taking is my PC which I'll just get a new cord with a UK plug on the end, and my Nespresso machine (lol yes I love my coffee that much) and can get the same Pods over there for it. I'll either cut the plug off or just get an adapter for that, oh and my Echo Show 5 (Alexa) pretty sure I could just get a UK version cord for that too. I'm not taking TV's etc as I heard they can be a pain in the arse to tune/get working despite Aus/UK using same system. I need a new one anyway mine is pretty old now. 🙂 

ETA: As long as your stuff is rated 220-240 volts it's fine. UK being 230, Aus 240. 

I am thinking of cutting the plus off, UK plus in Morrisons are only 1.50 (Aussie MacBook and I cannot find a pound symbol - something else I need to look into!). Can get plugs easily for Alexa. 

1 minute ago, Amber Snowball said:

Well you can have fun buying new ones! 😉

Ooof, another thing to add to the ever ending list of stuff to deal with since moving back!!!

Might get an Aussie friend to send some over and deposit funds into their bank account. Seems like it would be simpler than searching!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Franklin05 said:

I am thinking of cutting the plus off, UK plus in Morrisons are only 1.50 (Aussie MacBook and I cannot find a pound symbol - something else I need to look into!). Can get plugs easily for Alexa. 

This is why I use PC's all I will need to do is change the language to English UK and get a British keyboard 😛 

I hope you can find a solution though? Apple store? 

9 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

This is why I use PC's all I will need to do is change the language to English UK and get a British keyboard 😛 

I hope you can find a solution though? Apple store? 

Thanks. Already got a plug for the MacBook, a friend gave us the power cable from their old one. I'm sure we will find a work around for the missing pound symbol through some random combination of keyboard strokes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Franklin05 said:

Thanks. Already got a plug for the MacBook, a friend gave us the power cable from their old one. I'm sure we will find a work around for the missing pound symbol through some random combination of keyboard strokes. 

Hopefully another Apple person will come along and have a solution for you. There must be a way 🤔

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2020 at 13:24, Franklin05 said:

For those of you who brought Aussie electrical items back to the UK, what did you do about changing plugs over to fit the UK sockets?

Did you just cut off the Aussie plugs and reattach to UK sockets or get adaptors? I am thinking we might just cut most off and replace, and maybe get a few adaptors for some items. 

On 16/01/2020 at 13:24, Franklin05 said:

Cut em off, stupid dangerous things dunno who invented that style of plug and socket....cut them off and fit real U.K. plugs which are cheap in supermarkets.  Check the amps rating on the appliance. Anything under 3 amps fit a red 3A fuse, anything above 3 amps,  fit a 5A or 13 A fuse.  

On 07/02/2020 at 19:39, Home and Happy said:

Cut em off, stupid dangerous things dunno who invented that style of plug and socket....cut them off and fit real U.K. plugs which are cheap in supermarkets.  Check the amps rating on the appliance. Anything under 3 amps fit a red 3A fuse, anything above 3 amps,  fit a 5A or 13 A fuse.  

Thanks, I think this is the way we will go with most things 🙂

Have bounced all over the place last 30 years. If the appliance has a kettle (figure8) removable plug and lead you can replace cheaply, simply swap them out. Most TVs etc have these. If a fixed plug normally easier to sell on and buy new when back unless you want adaptors all over the house. Computers easy, just buy UK chargers. Another thing to look out for is area codes, DVD players and some other media players x box for example  bizarrely have area restrictions placed on them, you would need to reprogram resubscribe etc pain in the butt.

On 16/02/2020 at 03:10, Gary H said:

Have bounced all over the place last 30 years. If the appliance has a kettle (figure8) removable plug and lead you can replace cheaply, simply swap them out. Most TVs etc have these. If a fixed plug normally easier to sell on and buy new when back unless you want adaptors all over the house. Computers easy, just buy UK chargers. Another thing to look out for is area codes, DVD players and some other media players x box for example  bizarrely have area restrictions placed on them, you would need to reprogram resubscribe etc pain in the butt.

Tested the TV and Blueray player (it arrived a couple of weeks ago) and everything works. Kettle is not a figure of 8, I think only the TV is from what we have come back with - sewing machines certainly are not.