189 visa - waiting for invitation

Ceedotkaay

Hi all, pretty new to the site despite joining a while back. My partner is a mechanic and we have applied for 189 visa. We are currently sitting on 75 points and from what I've seen in December's invitation rounds on the Department of Home Affairs and also Iscah for January's rounds. Would it even be likely that we will be invited to apply for PR? 

44 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

I thought as much! we are looking for other options but it's pretty slim, the only other best bet I reckon would be 482 for my partner but even then, I'm not sure whether we would get that.  

Have you looked if any states are sponsoring your occupation for 190 or 491?

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Have you looked if any states are sponsoring your occupation for 190 or 491?

Yes, we did apply for 190 for NSW but it is highly unlikely I think we will get invited since you now need to reside in the state to be invited, so really unsure about that. I havent looked into the 491 but that is also the regional visa as well right? 

8 hours ago, Ceedotkaay said:

I thought as much! we are looking for other options but it's pretty slim, the only other best bet I reckon would be 482 for my partner but even then, I'm not sure whether we would get that.  

482 is a temporary visa for 2 to 4 years and only a slim chance you might get PR after that.  

34 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

yeah my partner is a mechanic and we could get on to the 186 potentially. The first hurdle would be trying to get onto the 482 visa.

The correct wording is that you MIGHT get on to the 186 potentially, IF your partner's employment lasts the distance and IF the employer is still willing to sponsor him (there's no legal obligation, no matter what they promise), and IF the occupation is still on the lists and IF they haven't changed the criteria. 

That's a lot of "if's".   Every year we see more and more occupations removed from the list and you can't predict which ones (who'd have thought they'd remove Automotive Electricians this year, for instance?).  So in three years' time you could well find you're not eligible.

So the 482 is a gamble - one worth taking if you've got no ties and can afford a short-term adventure, but you'd be wise to assume that's all it is, and plan accordingly.  Then if you do manage to get PR at the end, it's a bonus - but if you end up going home, you haven't burned your bridges. 

3 hours ago, Ceedotkaay said:

I havent looked into the 491 but that is also the regional visa as well right? 

To clarify, the 482 is a temporary visa, designed to fill short-term gaps in the labour market, and the government wants you to go home at the end of it.  They do offer a possible pathway to PR at the end (some would say grudgingly) but they don't make it easy. 

The 491 is not a temporary visa, it's a provisional visa, designed to bring migrants to regional areas.  The government hopes that by the time you've spent four years in that region, you'll be so settled that you'll want to stay there permanently, so you have a clear pathway to PR provided you meet the conditions.

As a mechanic, your oh could work just as easily in a regional area. If you prefer a big city, then Newcastle has lots to offer - houses are half the price of Sydney, the beaches are gorgeous and you're on the doorstep of the wineries.  If you don't mind a smaller city and you fancy a laidback beach lifestyle, then I'd go Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie. 

Edited by Marisawright

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The correct wording is that you MIGHT get on to the 186 potentially, IF your partner's employment lasts the distance and IF the employer is still willing to sponsor him (there's no legal obligation, no matter what they promise), and IF the occupation is still on the lists and IF they haven't changed the criteria. 

That's a lot of "if's".   Every year we see more and more occupations removed from the list and you can't predict which ones (who'd have thought they'd remove Automotive Electricians this year, for instance?).  So in three years' time you could well find you're not eligible.

So the 482 is a gamble - one worth taking if you've got no ties and can afford a short-term adventure, but you'd be wise to assume that's all it is, and plan accordingly.  Then if you do manage to get PR at the end, it's a bonus - but if you end up going home, you haven't burned your bridges. 

To also give some context to this. I came over on a 482 visa and was told that after 3 years I’d get on a 186/187 visa and I’d have PR... weeks after I accepted my colleagues mentioned that this doesn’t happen and it’s just a ploy to get some in... luckily for me I lodged an EOI for PR and got invited (still waiting for grant now) but listen to @Marisawrightbecause what you’re told and what’s reality are two different things 

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Currently he is working for a company who is willing to sponsor him for 4 years. Even with the 186 visa as you have mentioned @Marisawrightthere are a lot of IFs. From what I have looked at regarding the 186 visa, it currently requires 3 years work experience, hes already worked with the employer for almost 2 years and want to sponsor him via the 482 if he meets it. So hopefully that may count towards it. As mentioned before, it is whether we will meet the requirements for the 482 visa. 

To be honest, we have already lived here for a good couple of years (myself only, my partner have lived here for about 4 years) but we are just weighing up our options. We already know the 482 isnt exactly the best option and wanted the 189 visa but with the new rules in place, it has become increasingly difficult to be invited. I wanted to see if anyone else on here had any luck with the new rules.

9 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

Currently he is working for a company who is willing to sponsor him for 4 years. Even with the 186 visa as you have mentioned @Marisawrightthere are a lot of IFs. From what I have looked at regarding the 186 visa, it currently requires 3 years work experience, hes already worked with the employer for almost 2 years and want to sponsor him via the 482 if he meets it. So hopefully that may count towards it. As mentioned before, it is whether we will meet the requirements for the 482 visa. 

To be honest, we have already lived here for a good couple of years (myself only, my partner have lived here for about 4 years) but we are just weighing up our options. We already know the 482 isnt exactly the best option and wanted the 189 visa but with the new rules in place, it has become increasingly difficult to be invited. I wanted to see if anyone else on here had any luck with the new rules.

What visa are you currently on?

52 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

Currently he is working for a company who is willing to sponsor him for 4 years.

If he's already in Australia and he's already working for that employer, then the big risks of the 482 visa are already gone. He knows the employer will treat him fairly, he knows he likes the job, and he knows the business is solid.  All those things are impossible to judge for an overseas candidate.   

The only big risk, then, is the risk that you won't be eligible by the time you can apply for the 186.  But since you're already settled in Australia, you're not going to be burning your bridges or incurring relocation costs, so the worst that can happen is that you have to leave the country after the 482. 

If your current visa expires in April, then the employer should be getting their skates on to apply to sponsor him.  They will need to hire a migration agent to help them, as the process for employers is complex and they haven't got much time to get it done, by the sound of things.

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If he's already in Australia and he's already working for that employer, then the big risks of the 482 visa are already gone. He knows the employer will treat him fairly, he knows he likes the job, and he knows the business is solid.  All those things are impossible to judge for an overseas candidate.   

The only big risk, then, is the risk that you won't be eligible by the time you can apply for the 186.  But since you're already settled in Australia, you're not going to be burning your bridges or incurring relocation costs, so the worst that can happen is that you have to leave the country after the 482. 

If your current visa expires in April, then the employer should be getting their skates on to apply to sponsor him.  They will need to hire a migration agent to help them, as the process for employers is complex and they haven't got much time to get it done, by the sound of things.

Yes, it was suggested that they sponsor him when he informed them last month he didnt have long left because they wanted to enrol him on a course.

Yeah I am just concerned about the whole work experience and how it gets calculated. We have engaged a MARA agent through his company. However, just waiting on feedback to see if we are eligible for the 482 visa. 

50 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

We have engaged a MARA agent through his company. However, just waiting on feedback to see if we are eligible for the 482 visa. 

Just to be clear, you can engage an agent to help you with your part of the application if you like, but they'll need an agent too, because they will have to do most of the work.   It can be the same agent but they are two separate jobs.

27 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Just to be clear, you can engage an agent to help you with your part of the application if you like, but they'll need an agent too, because they will have to do most of the work.   It can be the same agent but they are two separate jobs.

Ohhh okay sure! thanks for that! it maybe easier if it was the same agent as we have provided details to them. 

Not sure if anyone knows this but is it possible for an employer to sponsor but you as the applicant pays for the cost directly rather than through the company? 

6 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

Ohhh okay sure! thanks for that! it maybe easier if it was the same agent as we have provided details to them. 

Not sure if anyone knows this but is it possible for an employer to sponsor but you as the applicant pays for the cost directly rather than through the company? 

Nooo!! The question will ask did you pay for the nomination and such... click yes and it’ll be denied 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceedotkaay said:

Oh really? so the company has to pay for it? 

@Ceedotkaay yes they do, because the whole point of the 482 visa is to help employers who are struggling to find a local applicant to fill the job.  So it's the employer who drives the application process for the 482 visa and they bear a big part of the cost and most of the preparation work.

Has your partner's employer sponsored for the 482 before?   If not,  I'd be worried they might go cold on the idea, once they find out how much it will cost them and how much paperwork they've got to do.   I've seen it happen before - a manager can be very quick to offer sponsorship for a good employee, but once the bosses find out they've got to pay fees, do a lot of admin and divulge all kinds of financial information to the government, they change their minds.  It may not happen to you but you'd be well advised to find out for sure asap.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

@Ceedotkaay yes they do, because the whole point of the 482 visa is to help employers who are struggling to find a local applicant to fill the job.  So it's the employer who drives the application process for the 482 visa and they bear a big part of the cost and most of the preparation work.

Has your partner's employer sponsored for the 482 before?   If not,  I'd be worried they might go cold on the idea, once they find out how much it will cost them and how much paperwork they've got to do.   I've seen it happen before - a manager can be very quick to offer sponsorship for a good employee, but once the bosses find out they've got to pay fees, do a lot of admin and divulge all kinds of financial information to the government, they change their minds.  It may not happen to you but you'd be well advised to find out for sure asap.

ahh okay. So not too sure if my partner employer has sponsored before as it's a big corporate business that owns multiple dealerships. Whether the dealership my partner works at have done sponsorship, I am not too sure but I have heard they are also looking to sponsor an.overseas candidate to come over as well. 

13 minutes ago, Ceedotkaay said:

ahh okay. So not too sure if my partner employer has sponsored before as it's a big corporate business that owns multiple dealerships. Whether the dealership my partner works at have done sponsorship, I am not too sure but I have heard they are also looking to sponsor an.overseas candidate to come over as well. 

The bigger the business, the more likely they've sponsored before, so that's good.  However is it the dealership that's offered or is it head office?   Make sure head office has approved it, as a branch office can't do it themselves.

Edited by Marisawright

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The bigger the business, the more likely they've sponsored before, so that's good.  However is it the dealership that's offered or is it head office?   Make sure head office has approved it, as a branch office can't do it themselves.

Ah okay, I think it was dealership but I think there was discussions with head office as it was raised last month before only getting the agents number on tuesday. So not really too sure but thanks for the heads up!