register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

White Privilege?

1 minute ago, Tulip1 said:

imagine the slaughtering I’d get if I went around saying I could never be with a black guy for the shame it would bring to my family.  

Have you ever been to Alabama?

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

4 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

Have you ever been to Alabama?

No, why?

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That is very true.  When I lived in Swaziland, I was appalled at the way the Swazis treated the Indians

..................  and when I was in Thailand I was appalled at the way the Thais treated the Burmese and the way they talked about black people.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That is very true.  When I lived in Swaziland, I was appalled at the way the Swazis treated the Indians

Do you Remember how Idi Amin got rid of south Asian (Indian) people in Uganda?  They had 90 days to leave the country.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toots said:

..................  and when I was in Thailand I was appalled at the way the Thais treated the Burmese and the way they talked about black people.

I was appalled at the way aussies talked about aborigines, I am appalled at the way white South Africans talk about black South Africans, no difference 

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 minute ago, Perthbum said:

I was appalled at the way aussies talked about aborigines, I am appalled at the way white South Africans talk about black South Africans, no difference 

Yes I am very aware of how that happens all too often BUT before you get on your high horse we are also talking about how other races are just a racist toward other races.  OK?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes I am very aware of how that happens all too often BUT before you get on your high horse we are also talking about how other races are just a racist toward other races.  OK?

seems the ones at the bottom people look down in most cases are blacks, agree? 

12 minutes ago, Toots said:

2 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Sadly looks like that.

Luckily many people are colour blind when it comes to skin colour.  I know of some very happy mixed marriages    ...............  black/white and Asian/white. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

When I lived in Brunei it was appalling how the Thai and Phillipines were treated by the Bruneian. Treated like scum. So it happens in many countries. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramot said:

When I lived in Brunei it was appalling how the Thai and Phillipines were treated by the Bruneian. Treated like scum. So it happens in many countries. 

Middle East is the same.  They treat their domestic staff mainly from the Phillipines and Sri Lanka like muck.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, newjez said:

So, do you think your race is superior to theirs or do you think it's their upbringing?

in this day and age they should by now know right from wrong....they have all the opportunities they need to become civilized , walking around with large chips on there shoulders , anyone would think they owned the place ……..  

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

What really annoys me is when the race card is brought out when some person fails to get a job because they are not as well suited as another candidate who just happens to be better than them. I’ve seen this happen on several occasions when I was working. It tends to go one way all the time. Pathetic and quite bad for anyone else of the same race because people generalise.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

What really annoys me is when the race card is brought out when some person fails to get a job because they are not as well suited as another candidate who just happens to be better than them. I’ve seen this happen on several occasions when I was working. It tends to go one way all the time. Pathetic and quite bad for anyone else of the same race because people generalise.

My friend in the UK is a recruiter and worked for the job centre.  She is white and interviewed a man of colour who had sent in an excellent CV.  At the interview he did not perform well and the panel felt there were some discrepancies to what he wrote in his CV and his obvious lack knowledge  at interview (making them suspect someone else may have written the CV).  He wasn't selected for the job and took them to court claiming they were racist because of his colour.  He represented himself and accused my friend of being racist because she was white and he wasn't .  My friend - explained that as she was married to a man of Indian culture, was called Bhagat (something he hadn't picked up on) and had two mixed raced children she felt that she was far from racist and simply stated that his demonstrated lack of knowledge during the interview were the reason he did not get the job.  His case was dismissed, but it was highlighted after the fact that he had done this several times before and people had settled because they were scared of being branded racist. 

• Like 6

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

5 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Maybe after decades of being denied jobs because they are aboriginal the government had to try and reverse some of the trend. 

Rubbish PB.  Plenty of Aboriginal people are decent hard working people.  I've known them to be working in banks, the post office, as teachers and lots of other places.  They are the ones that just want to get on in life without relying on handouts.  Unfortunately there are others who are total bludgers just the same as there are white people who are bludgers and don't really want to get a job.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Rubbish PB.  Plenty of Aboriginal people are decent hard working people.  I've known them to be working in banks, the post office, as teachers and lots of other places.  They are the ones that just want to get on in life without relying on handouts.  Unfortunately there are others who are total bludgers just the same as there are white people who are bludgers and don't really want to get a job.

Are you saying they have never been overlooked for jobs when there are white people with the same qualifications and skills, I know in SA it is a fact that  whites are far more likely to get the job. There is not a lot of difference between the indigenous people of both countries in the way they are treated. 

3 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Are you saying they have never been overlooked for jobs when there are white people with the same qualifications and skills, I know in SA it is a fact that  whites are far more likely to get the job. There is not a lot of difference between the indigenous people of both countries in the way they are treated. 

Same here. White people miss out on jobs because of their skin colour.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, simmo said:

Same here. White people miss out on jobs because of their skin colour.

I agree in the fire service the police and other public sector jobs but in the private sector blacks do lose out.

6 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

I can only assume that the Aboriginal people in those jobs I mentioned went for the interview and got the job on their merit.  

• Like 1

Lol I would just like to correct the assumption that us Filipinos are all maids in the international sphere.

Thats not true.

Most Filipinos employed abroad are actually mariners. Filipinos contribute the largest amount of mariners on earth.

According to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), the Philippines is the world’s main supplier of seamen since 1987, making the Philippines the manning capital of the world. According to the Department of Labor and Employment of the Philippines, around 229,000 Filipino seamen were on board merchant shipping vessels around the world at any given time,[1] The figure showed that Filipino seamen comprised more than 25 percent of 1.5 million mariners worldwide, the "single biggest nationality bloc" in the shipping industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_seamen

Also, we are the 5th richest ethnic group in America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income

And the most lawabiding and respected nationality in the UAE are Filipinos.

https://gulfnews.com/amp/world/asia/philippines/are-filipinos-the-most-law-abiding-expats-1.2298258

Just saying my piece to correct the notion that we are all maids. Carry on.

8 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:

Lol I would just like to correct the assumption that us Filipinos are all maids in the international sphere.

Thats not true.

Most Filipinos employed abroad are actually mariners. Filipinos contribute the largest amount of mariners on earth.

According to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), the Philippines is the world’s main supplier of seamen since 1987, making the Philippines the manning capital of the world. According to the Department of Labor and Employment of the Philippines, around 229,000 Filipino seamen were on board merchant shipping vessels around the world at any given time,[1] The figure showed that Filipino seamen comprised more than 25 percent of 1.5 million mariners worldwide, the "single biggest nationality bloc" in the shipping industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income

https://gulfnews.com/amp/world/asia/philippines/are-filipinos-the-most-law-abiding-expats-1.2298258

A quarter of the world’s seafarers are Filipino.  

22 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:

Thats not true.

You are possibly misinterpreting my post or taking offence when none intended. My point was how badly treated several nationalities were treated in Brunei because they thought it was ok to do that, and that it was absolutely wrong that a country thought that was ok. 
No where did I say that I thought everyone from several countries were all maids. In case you missed my point it really saddens me that anyone is treated as a lesser human. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Toots said:

A lot of that is cultural and not to the color of ones skin.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I can only assume that the Aboriginal people in those jobs I mentioned went for the interview and got the job on their merit.  

ohhhh toots 

• Confused 1

You are possibly misinterpreting my post or taking offence when none intended. My point was how badly treated several nationalities were treated in Brunei because they thought it was ok to do that, and that it was absolutely wrong that a country thought that was ok.  No where did I say that I thought everyone from several countries were all maids. In case you missed my point it really saddens me that anyone is treated as a lesser human. 

Oh ok then. Us Filipinos have a love-hate relationship with Brunei. In Precolonial times the Filipino kingdom of Sulu and Saludong became independent of Majapahit and then sacked and obliderated Brunei (Then a Majapahit province), also the Visayan ethnic group from the Kadatuan of Madjaas were originally Buddhists from Brunei who refused to bow down to Chola invasion from India and Majapahit invasion from Java both Hindu nations. When Brunei broke away from Majapahit and became an independent Sultanate they invaded Luzon island and established the city state ot Manila as a Bruneian colony in the Philippines to supplant the Kingdom of Tondo and then the Bruneians also incorporated Sulu through royal marriage. When Spaniards from Mexico came to the Philippines, one Mexican, Conquistador Juan de Salcedo intended to marry the Hindu Princess of Tondo Gandarapa as he set free Tondo from Brunei and incorporated it to Spain which was also fresh from fighting off Muslims from the Emirate of Granada in the Reconquista and they then waged a war of vengeance (The Spanish-Mexican-Filipino forces) against Brunei and once again sacked and raped Bruneians in the Castilian War.

Bruneians enslaved Filipinos then and now but there were times when we burned Brunei to the ground in several instances too. So its just tit for tat. All is fair.

Nevertheless Bruneians and Filipinos have repaird our relationships recently though.

Do you know that the Sultan's Palace the Istana Nurul Imam is designed by a Filipino?

• Congratulations 1

36 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

ohhhh toots 

There were quite a few aboriginal actors in Tim minchins Upright.

Which I thought unusual.

I didn't notice them being inferior to the other actors. Do you think they got the job on merit?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2