You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

White Privilege?

Funnily enough I will be having a word with my boss today (a black man) who I have previously had the greatest respect for and a good working relationship.  He really let me down.  He had a hissy fit in a meeting because directors where talking directly to me and he felt left out.  He has not made a formal complaint of racism against the director!!

He is a great guy but let himself down big time here. If he can do that to a director who had zero racist intent it could be me next.

• Like 1

How can you ever prove that something is racist though ?

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

13 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Pray tell us what society is 100% white 

Well, as I said, when I grew up, my schools were almost 100 per cent white. Explain how white privilege worked in that situation. And in some countries there is still a high degree of homogeneity, Japan for example. Do those societies have the equivalent of white privilege I wonder or is it only in white societies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They haven't been a waste of time - Australia is a LOT better than many other countries.

I used to have a black American working for me as an engineer.  He had moved to Australia because he married an Australian woman, but he loved living in Australia.    It wasn't the career opportunities that pleased him, it was the different attitude compared to Chicago, where he came from.

Our department would regularly go out after work together, and he was overjoyed that we could all have a meal together and no one was glaring at him for daring to sit at a table with all white people.  He loved being able to walk down the street with his (white) wife and not have people hissing insults or staring.   He loved being able to drive home from a function late at night and not get pulled over by the cops just because he was a black guy in an expensive car (he knew that's why he was pulled over, because in Chicago he worked the late shift and the same cops pulled him over time night after night, to frisk him - even though they had seen his licence and ownership papers time and time again)

That sounds wonderful and I do not doubt it but the lefties would deny that Australia is any less racist than the USA.

On 15/01/2020 at 23:06, Tulip1 said:

There has been experiments that prove otherwise. In the UK a study was done where the identical impressive CV was sent out to employers with jobs advertised.  I can’t remember the names used but one was something like Peter Smith and the other was a definite non British sounding name. Peter did better by a mile in securing an interview.  

Wasn’t that a very old study? I wonder what it would be like now. I also wonder if the country you live makes a difference. In Australia I don’t think it would matter

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

10 hours ago, Parley said:

How can you ever prove that something is racist though ?

I agree with this statement it’s the same with disability. You can’t prove it.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

12 hours ago, simmo said:

Funnily enough I will be having a word with my boss today (a black man) who I have previously had the greatest respect for and a good working relationship.  He really let me down.  He had a hissy fit in a meeting because directors where talking directly to me and he felt left out.  He has not made a formal complaint of racism against the director!!

He is a great guy but let himself down big time here. If he can do that to a director who had zero racist intent it could be me next.

would have loved to have heard his version of the story instead of just yours so we could all form an honest opinion/

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

12 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

would have loved to have heard his version of the story instead of just yours so we could all form an honest opinion/

You know what they say about opinions.....

11 minutes ago, simmo said:

You know what they say about opinions.....

what

Edited by Perthbum

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I used to have a black American working for me as an engineer.  He had moved to Australia because he married an Australian woman, but he loved living in Australia.    It wasn't the career opportunities that pleased him, it was the different attitude compared to Chicago, where he came from.

Same as I have experienced, especially with Indian IT workers.  When you consider that other countries have racism embedded into their own caste system, nothing that happens in Australia is going to shock them and it's such a step up from where they came from.

I was talking to a bloke from Chennai once about the cricket, and an upcoming India tour to Australia.  He said "I hope we beat these arrogant bastards".   I agreed and said that Australia just had that attitude that made them difficult to like.  He said "I'm on about India mate, I'm an Aussie now".   Not often that an Indian cricket fans converts, or you try and find one in England and it's very difficult.

I've asked lots of them and not one of them has raised any single complaint about racism in Australia, even though the current Government is quite discriminatory and Australia does have it's fair share of discriminatory people who are quite open about it.   

For the most part in Australia, anybody educated recognises that they personally, all must be originally from immigrant stock themselves and their own ancestors had to go through it,  so they welcome new immigrants far far better than they might get treated in the US or UK.   Canada is the country closest to Australia for recognising it's own roots and how new immigrants must be feeling.  You tend to find if you include people and make them feel welcome, they will work a lot harder for you because they are grateful and want to prove themselves.

What we sometimes fail to understand, being westerners, is that we've had it very very easy.   None of us remember the hardship of war years, the rationing,  or the poor living standards even up to the mid-1950's when British people were still getting food parcels imported.  None of us white people have experienced discrimination (except for class) in our own countries.  We've had 70 years of peace where most British people have hed things delivered to them on a plate, they haven't had to fight for anything, and expectations have changed over the years.   It's a very different lifestyle to that being shown by the Chinese and Indians, who are emigrating out with superior educational records and skillsets, with a fierce ambition to match.

The difficulty comes when people don't do well in their own lives, and they then see immigration as a threat to them.  It's an important lesson. Don't sit back on your laurels, don't get sloppy, keep learning, keep working, then you won't be tempted to try and find other people to blame.   It doesn't matter what colour you are or where you come from...people tend to get out what they put in.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

I guess it is natural to be suspicious of 'outsiders' - probably some ancient self preservation/survival thing like the rest of the mammals in the world. I don't think it is colour so much as different habits and norms that can cause problems. For example, after spending 3 weeks solely amongst 'white' Americans I was ready to scream-seriously- because they are so different in attitude, speech patterns and, to me, so loud. They quite likely were sick to death of me,too.

Why is an aboriginal chosen over any other applicants..... Isn't that classed as racism?
If I was to say that I'll employ a white person over any other candidate I'd be classed as racist, though I've employed many Indians, kiwis Aussie's ect

Really - and someone who recruits I can tell you that is not the case.  In fact, some of the jobs that we advertise if an Aboriginal applicant is suitable they are to be chosen over any other candidate.  My last successful candidate was someone from Africa. So, yes, I disagree that a white person will always get a job above someone deemed none white.

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

3 minutes ago, tonyman said:

Why is an aboriginal chosen over any other applicants..... Isn't that classed as racism?
If I was to say that I'll employ a white person over any other candidate I'd be classed as racist, though I've employed many Indians, kiwis Aussie's ect

They're advertised under a specific section 

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

26 minutes ago, ali said:

They're advertised under a specific section 

so they get privileges in job hunting …….its a shame that the majority of aboriginals just don't want to work ! Though I do know one that works at your place , she sets a very good example, Shannee  ……...

50 minutes ago, tonyman said:

so they get privileges in job hunting …….its a shame that the majority of aboriginals just don't want to work ! Though I do know one that works at your place , she sets a very good example, Shannee  ……...

With that sort of attitude, I'm not surprised they get preferred treatment.

Attitude??? It's a fact pal, they get away with murder.... Roam around shouting and screaming at everyone, stealing none stop, cars broken into every night, houses trashed..... Police turn a blind eye.... I had one at one of my jobs last week, Tresspassing, was asleep in the house, went to cop station, waited 2 hours before they arrived!!!!! Broke into the place, took a dump in the garage, they just gave him a buss fare to leave!!!!!
If that was me I'd be up in court.....
And he came back and stole the trailer....

With that sort of attitude, I'm not surprised they get preferred treatment.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyman said:

Attitude??? It's a fact pal, they get away with murder.... Roam around shouting and screaming at everyone, stealing none stop, cars broken into every night, houses trashed..... Police turn a blind eye.... I had one at one of my jobs last week, Tresspassing, was asleep in the house, went to cop station, waited 2 hours before they arrived!!!!! Broke into the place, took a dump in the garage, they just gave him a buss fare to leave!!!!!
If that was me I'd be up in court.....
And he came back and stole the trailer....

So, do you think your race is superior to theirs or do you think it's their upbringing?

1 hour ago, newjez said:

So, do you think your race is superior to theirs or do you think it's their upbringing?

do you agree with this?

1 hour ago, simmo said:

do you agree with this?

All people are racist - it's an extension of tribalism. The question is whether you are civilized enough to account for it.

Some more than others sadly.

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

On 16/01/2020 at 17:34, Toots said:

I tend to agree and it's not only the white race that's racist.  

That is very true.  When I lived in Swaziland, I was appalled at the way the Swazis treated the Indians

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 15/01/2020 at 21:25, ali said:

I'm not discounting it might happen, just not all the time which is what I believe PB is suggesting in his usual generalised statement.  Perhaps he was referring only to the UK as I have a different experience here in Aus.

Who said it happens all the time? I said less likely, You suggested in your reply it does not happen    

of course there is white privilege, a black man is far less likely to get a job if there is a white man with the same qualifications.

I don't believe that's true

Edited by Perthbum

10 hours ago, tonyman said:

Maybe after decades of being denied jobs because they are aboriginal the government had to try and reverse some of the trend. 

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That is very true.  When I lived in Swaziland, I was appalled at the way the Swazis treated the Indians

I work with a women of Pakistani heritage. I while ago a few of us girls were talking about mixed relationships, no idea why but it came up.  She said that her family would never accept her being with a white guy and she and everyone she knows would never bring shame on their families by behaving like that. I thought at the time,  imagine the slaughtering I’d get if I went around saying I could never be with a black guy for the shame it would bring to my family.  

• Like 2