How can an Engineering professional migrate to Australia?

While you decide the right way towards your career path, it sometimes is quite confusing as to, which industry you should choose for continuous growth. Nowadays the trend is towards IT and automation and is there to stay in the near future.

Traditional fields like civil and petroleum engineering are always high in demand, but one of the fastest-growing fields in Australia is the IT sector.

Australia offers a plethora of new career opportunities to those engineering professionals who choose to move to Australia as permanent residents. There is a huge shortage of engineers in Australia, which is causing unnecessary delays in a lot of projects.

In fact, the Chief Executive of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists, and Managers Australia, Mr. Chris Walton said that "Engineers are essential for the rollout of the infrastructure of roads, rail, and ports, and Australia’s recovery may be jeopardized if we do not have adequate skills and people in these critical roles.”

The last few years have seen a rise in the number of engineers migrating through the Australia PR Visa Process. If you are a highly-skilled engineer and wish to migrate to Australia, then you must undergo an Australia Skill Assessment.

To your surprise, an average salary for an Engineering professional in Australia is $84,349 AUD per annum.

The Australian migration process for engineering professionals

If you have the clear intention of migration to Australia through any one of the General Skilled Migration categories, then you must nominate your occupation and it has to be mentioned on the Australia Skilled Occupation List at the time of applying.

As mentioned above, before applying for an Australian PR visa as an Engineer, you must get your positive Skill Assessment done by a recognized assessing body. For this purpose, the Engineers Australia is a designated authority by the Australian government to assess your Para-professional and professional engineering qualifications for general skilled migration to Australia for different engineering occupations.

The Engineers Australia assesses the following major occupational engineering categories:

·         Professional Engineer

·         Engineering Technologist

·         Engineering Associate

·         Engineering Manager

Find the top engineering occupation with occupation ceilings for the 2019-20 program year:

Occupation ID

Description

Occupation Ceiling

Invitations to 11/12/2019

Engineering Managers

<5

Chemical and Materials Engineers

Civil Engineering Professionals

Electrical Engineers

Electronics Engineers*

Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers*

Mining Engineers

Other Engineering Professionals*

Telecommunications EngineeringProfessionals

Civil Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians

Electrical Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians

<5

Pathways via which you can get your qualifications recognized:

• The Washington Accord (Australia Institution of Engineers): Your qualifications will be evaluated with the Washington Accord accreditation body. In case your qualifications are not accredited, then you have to submit a CDR (Competency Demonstration Report).
  • Submission of a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR): You have to mention your engineering knowledge and competencies to prove that they are equivalent to the appropriate occupational category mentioned under the Australian engineering team.

Meet the English Language requirements

In order to apply for Australia PR Visa as an Engineering professional, you must get your skills assessed for which you must prove your English language competency level.

You must score a minimum of CLB 6 in each module including, speaking, listening, reading and writing in any version of the IELTS or 50 points each in a PTE Academic test.

The processing time

Once you have submitted your visa application with all supportive documents and your assessment fee, the entire assessment process may take up to 16 weeks' time from the date of submission.

Upon receiving your positive skill assessment report, you must apply for the visa of your choice through proper Australia PR Visa Process.

Hope this article can help you in making an informed decision while applying for an Australian PR visa for General Skilled Migration.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed hyperlink

The above post seems to suggest that if you get a skills assessment in any Engineering occupation you can apply for Permanent Residency, which is not the case.

The first step before proceeding to a skills assessment would be to assess whether there are any genuinely achievable Australian PR options. Skilled visas are based on points and very competitive.

No point spending money on a skills assessment if you have no genuine visa prospect.

Further, the posts fails to mention that currently, many Engineering occupations (Electronics, Industrial, Mechanical, Production Engineers) are oversubscribed and therefore subject to pro rata arrangements. This means that if nominating a pro rata occupation, it is even more difficult to gain an invitation as fewer spots are available and higher points are required.

Proceed with caution.

I have several clients hanging by the proverbials after NSW changed their 190 criteria in the middle of the game and over the years I had a number of clients 'capped and ceased'. The EoIs and the visa applications were all valid and in my opinion 'strong' when lodged. I suppose that not being invited is not as bad as waiting for 6 or 7 years and then  being ceased. 

Hi 

Could anybody tell me if Fitter(general) is oversubscribed?? I would be looking at a 491visa, but If there is not much hope of success is there any point in me paying for a skills assessment?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Jonathan

3 hours ago, Jonno said:

Hi 

Could anybody tell me if Fitter(general) is oversubscribed?? I would be looking at a 491visa, but If there is not much hope of success is there any point in me paying for a skills assessment?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Jonathan

Fitter (general) is not one of the occupations on the pro rata lists. 

Generally the occupation of Fitter (general) is in demand.

Still advisable to have an assessment of visa options before spending money on a skills assessment.

• Like 1

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

I have paid for a skills assessment and I am just waiting on the email back. 

I just got worried when I saw the above post about engineering being oversubscribed. 

Thanks once again, you have put my mind at ease. 

Regards

Jonathan