register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

Should this be illegal ?

1 hour ago, Parley said:

A couple have been slammed by Victorian Premier Dan Andrews for flying the Nazi swastika over their house.

But it is not illegal to do so.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/disgusting-behaviour-premier-slams-couple-flying-nazi-flag-over-property-20200114-p53rao.html

Another example of nutters/attention seekers   ...............  maybe the police should just ask them why they have chosen to fly the Nazi flag.

I think it should be illegal.

I don't really like people flying flags of any type. If any flag is allowed it should be an Australian flag.

Imagine if your neighbour was Indian and flying an Indian flag and another neighbour is flying a Union Jack.

If you are in Australia you should be only flying an Aussie flag but preferably no flags at all. Who needs them ?

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

I don't really like people flying flags of any type. If any flag is allowed it should be an Australian flag.
Imagine if your neighbour was Indian and flying an Indian flag and another neighbour is flying a Union Jack.
If you are in Australia you should be only flying an Aussie flag but preferably no flags at all. Who needs them ?

I’d agree. The only people who should be flying flags are national institutions and international consulates, IMHO.

Private or public citizens wearing such things in their shirt/blouse lapels etc should be ok - why not.

Or car stickers etc, I’f one must, but then what about Nazi stickers? Personally it’s an insult to free speech to have Nazi memorabilia or keepsakes/merchandise. Who in earth would want an affinity and to condone links to such a horrific regime/party?

But clearly flags should be mainly for officialdom.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Parley said:

When the world cup is on people want to fly flags. You want to ban that?

If someone wants to tattoo a swastika on their forehead, isn't that their choice?

God knows why you would do this. You would be inviting bricks through the window.

Edited by newjez

I guess if you saw someone flying a nazi flag you would be inclined to think they had a problem or they were some sort of right wing criminal or, alternatively, very young and ignorant.

On our travels when we saw the EU flag we felt happy and contented and in some strange way, protected. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Parley said:

So aussies who live in the UK cannot fly the Australian flag? they can only fly the cross of St George you are saying, I cannot fly the SA flag when the Springboks are in the UK.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

What about the Aboriginal flag which most councils fly? On Australia Day we drag our flag out if people are coming round, can’t see the harm in it. 

2 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

What about the Aboriginal flag which most councils fly? On Australia Day we drag our flag out if people are coming round, can’t see the harm in it. 

Parley does not recognize   that flag even though it is the real flag of oz

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

On our travels when we saw the EU flag we felt happy and contented and in some strange way, protected. 

how strange.

12 hours ago, simmo said:

If find 🇪🇺 offensive. Nearly as much as the swastikas

1 hour ago, simmo said:

how strange.

Nice try!

Another thread taken down your favorite back alley

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Nice try!

Another thread taken down your favorite back alley

keep away from my back alley !!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, simmo said:

keep away from my back alley !!

And mine😐

Or course not. Its freedom of expression. As long as you arenot harming anyone its perfectly legal. The Soviet Union killed millions more people than Nazi Germany but its always the Nazi symbolism that gets the flack.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:

Or course not. Its freedom of expression. As long as you arenot harming anyone its perfectly legal. The Soviet Union killed millions more people than Nazi Germany but its always the Nazi symbolism that gets the flack.

?????  the swastika is not the flag of germany

My OH flies a St George flag when the World Cup (football) is on or the cricket. It becomes a topic of conversation with our neighbours as they follow the progress of the teams, lightheartedly hammer us when England lose etc. Some of these people we don’t really speak to at other times so it’s quite nice.
We don’t fly one all the time though.

1 minute ago, renebascossarabi said:
5 minutes ago, Perthbum said:
?????  the swastika is not the flag of germany

It is the flag of Nazi Germany.

Nazi Germany does not exist anymore

Perhaps it is beneficial.  Rather than closet Nazis at least they identify themselves.

I can fully understand why certain people could be upset by the symbolism but I wouldn’t agree with making the flag itself illegal.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

On 14/01/2020 at 20:50, Perthbum said:

So aussies who live in the UK cannot fly the Australian flag? they can only fly the cross of St George you are saying, I cannot fly the SA flag when the Springboks are in the UK.

The flag of the UK isn't the cross of st george, thats the flag of England

:evilface_frowning_s

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Perhaps it is beneficial.  Rather than closet Nazis at least they identify themselves.

That's a good point. 

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Would people object as much to the Japanese flag?

At least the Germans said they were sorry.