Moving to uk - residency

Ws2909

So I'm moving to uk in march and was trying to line up some jobs and someone mentioned that it will be really hard because you don have a residency. So then I was trying to figure out if I need on, if it is acctually hard to get job with out one and if I am eligible.

I have live in the uk from birth till 5 (got citizenship and have uk passport. Parents had residency) moved to aus until now (18yrs old)

If I need to get how long does it take and should I get asap or wait till I'm over in uk?

Thanks 

As a citizen you can walk straight back in.

Jobs it is hard to get one before going, unless you are currently working with a company whom has a base/s in the UK then you could possibly apply for a transfer. SOME people have been able to secure work before going, but that depends on the recruitment agency/company hiring. No harm in trying? Another option for you given you're young is check out places like Britbound  (they have a website) they are based in London and have packages (The Visa part doesn't apply to you being a citizen, the packages are customisable) to help you set up in the UK including accommodation/jobs eg: bar work. 

🙂

Edited by Vickie78

I think when people say you don't have residency, they don't mean legal residency.  They mean that you're not settled in the UK yet. 

Employers aren't likely to offer you a job while you're in Australia, because they don't know how long you'll take to arrive and find a place to live  You might accept the job, then arrive and find you can't find an affordable flat, or you find you don't like that city after all and don't want to stay - and then the employer has wasted time holding the job for you. 

You'll stand a much better chance once you're actually in the UK and able to say "I'll start work straight away". 

By the way I assume you have Australian citizenship too?

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Vickie78 said:

As a citizen you can walk straight back in.

Jobs it is hard to get one before going, unless you are currently working with a company whom has a base/s in the UK then you could possibly apply for a transfer. SOME people have been able to secure work before going, but that depends on the recruitment agency/company hiring. No harm in trying? Another option for you given you're young is check out places like Britbound  (they have a website) they are based in London and have packages (The Visa part doesn't apply to you being a citizen, the packages are customisable) to help you set up in the UK including accommodation/jobs eg: bar work. 

🙂

Awesome! thanks for your response. ok perfect, will definitely check out Britbound.

55 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think when people say you don't have residency, they don't mean legal residency.  They mean that you're not settled in the UK yet. 

Employers aren't likely to offer you a job while you're in Australia, because they don't know how long you'll take to arrive and find a place to live  You might accept the job, then arrive and find you can't find an affordable flat, or you find you don't like that city after all and don't want to stay - and then the employer has wasted time holding the job for you. 

You'll stand a much better chance once you're actually in the UK and able to say "I'll start work straight away". 

By the way I assume you have Australian citizenship too?

Oh ok, I get what you mean! That could very well be it. yes, I have dual citizenship.

Thanks for your help 🙂