Are 309/100 Sponsors required to have Police Checks?

Neill

Hi Everyone 

My wife/sponsor is Australian and I'm from the UK.

I understand all "applicants" need to undergo a police check but have read somewhere that only "male sponsors" are required to undergo the additional Australian police checks. 

Is this correct?  As we paid a (useless)  agent and they didn't ask for my wife (the 309/100 sponsor) to undergo any police checks.

Any help would be appreciated as we have seen some people received RFI's, asking for police checks for their partner/sponsor and we don't want this to cause any delays with our application.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Neill said:

I understand all "applicants" need to undergo a police check but have read somewhere that only "male sponsors" are required to undergo the additional Australian police checks. 

Is this correct?  

No it isn't - all sponsors need to provide police checks as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paulhand said:

No it isn't - all sponsors need to provide police checks as well.

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply, especially as I can see your a migration agent offering advice without payment. 

So my wife therefore requires an Australian police check, or both UK and Australian police checks?  

2 hours ago, Neill said:

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply, especially as I can see your a migration agent offering advice without payment. 

So my wife therefore requires an Australian police check, or both UK and Australian police checks?  

Anywhere outside Australia she has lived for more than 12 months cumulatively in the last 10 years, and Australia if she has spent any time in Australia since the age of 16.

2 hours ago, Returnhome said:

I haven’t had a police check for the UK or OZ, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t asked for one in the portal. 

The upload slot is: "Character, Evidence of" under the sponsorship application.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, 

I will have another look. After posting I called the global center and was told that not to worry unless they request it , they might not need too ( sounds like case by case ).Later they looked into some info where it mentions it and so I was told they probably might ask. So a bit confused. Part of me wants to panic and get both done right now and part of me is wanting to sit  back and wait and see. 

42 minutes ago, Returnhome said:

Hi Paul, 

I will have another look. After posting I called the global center and was told that not to worry unless they request it , they might not need too ( sounds like case by case ).Later they looked into some info where it mentions it and so I was told they probably might ask. So a bit confused. Part of me wants to panic and get both done right now and part of me is wanting to sit  back and wait and see. 

They will ask, if your situation fits their policy. 

All

Thanks for your answers to date, however after a bit of research I can confirm the following..

Yes, my wife (the sponsor) will require to provide both an Australian & UK police check.

I found this on the the following page https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/prospective-marriage-300/additional-sponsorship-requirements

Additional sponsor requirements for Partner and Prospective Marriage visas

We take the safety and security of visa applicants seriously.

There are additional requirements for sponsors of Partner and Prospective Marriage visas that are intended to help keep visa applicants safe.

Provide information on relevant offences and criminal record

If you want to sponsor an applicant for a Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa or a Partner visa, you must:

• provide an Australian and foreign police check when you apply for sponsorship
  • give us written consent to disclose any convictions for relevant offences to the visa applicant.

We will refuse the visa application if you don't provide the checks or give us consent to disclose any relevant offences to the applicant. We could also refuse the visa application if you don't provide the police checks within a reasonable time.

See how to provide a police check.

Consider these requirements carefully before you lodge your sponsorship or visa application. We won't refund the visa application charge if we refuse the visa application.

21 hours ago, paulhand said:

They will ask, if your situation fits their policy. 

Ooh what does that mean? Lol 

I thought I’m okay, I signed the declaration about criminal activity but then I saw Neill’s last post. Geezus , they are really tough. I got it easy coming to the UK, only had to get a UK passport and waltz in.. lol