485 Visa - Applying Offshore/After Student Visa Expires

kywon.au

Hi all, would appreciate some advice regarding applying for the 485 visa (post-study work stream)

I'm currently on a student visa till the 31st of January. I am as yet undecided between continuing with postgraduate research or applying for a 485 visa, and was planning on making that decision around mid-April, upon which I'd know whether my research scholarship will be approved (in which case I'd apply for a student visa), or rejected (in which case I'd apply for a 485 visa).

However, I came across the following stipulations that states that applicants must either have:

• held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B, granted on the basis of a valid application for a visa
  • held a student visa within the past 6 months before your application and now hold a substantive visa

I had been planning on returning to my home country after my current student visa expires, whereupon I'd apply for the 485 around April (still within the 6 months period). However the condition that I must be within the country and holding a substantive or bridging visa prior to application concerns me. Is there any way I can still apply for the 485 visa after my current student visa expires? Could I potentially come in on a 3 month tourist visa (which I believe counts as a substantive visa, correct me if I'm wrong) prior to making my application for the 485 visa? Or should I just cut my losses and apply for a 485 visa anyhow before my current student visa expires? I'm less inclined to the second option as the 485 visa can only be applied for once (not to mention costly), and it'd feel like a waste to me if I'll end up just replacing it with a Student visa.

Any advice would be much appreciated!