Where to live Western Australia

MattMGM

Hi all;

Just starting out on our journey to emigrate to Australia.

I am married with 3 children, when we hopefully emigrate they will be 15,13 and 7

I am a qualified electrician and have been for 21 years now.

What I am trying to find out is -

1) What area is the best area live for schools?

2) Work opportunities (electrician)

As much advice would be much appreciated (it’s a minefield)

TIA
Matt

This is a really difficult one to answer - WA is so big - each of us who live here will like our own little part of it for personal reasons and they'll all be different.  Have you ever been to WA?  One of the things I would say, is that where you chose to live may depend on where you work - no good setting your heart on living in one area when and finding work which is over an hours commute away.

If funds allow, it might be worth having a holiday to look at areas (not the same as living here I know but can be helpful).  

Schools - mixture of private and public - some with good reputations and some not so good - again will depend on where you live, rentals in the Rossmoyne and Willetton catchment areas (consistently good public schools) tend to be a bit more expensive.  

I think you may have to do some certificates here to work as an electrician (someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you about that).

Have you done your skills assessment yet?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am 38 years of age and will be 39 when we are planning on moving, hopefully I am still young enough to emigrate.

On my 'to do list' is a phone call to The Down Under Center on Monday and hopefully they can shed some more light on our dream. I believe they do the skills assessment.

Agree with what you are saying regarding taking a holiday before the move - we are planning on going over in October for 3 weeks, we are going to stay in rental accommodation through Air B&B but we have not got a clue on what areas to stay, I shall take a look at Rossmoyne and Willeton.

Thanks again.

Matt

How far are you along with the visa process?

We live in Leeming which borders Willetton and Rossmoyne - our children went to Leeming SHS which whilst doesn't get the consistently high results of it's neighbours suited our two who are very different - my daughter was very academic and was in the Academic Extension Programme for maths, science and humanities, whilst our son is a lot more sport orientated and was able to do a lot of outdoor education, in his final two years he got his skippers ticket (to drive a boat) went sailing, cycling, golfing in addition to doing sports coaching.  The school also has an Education support centre which is a very integrated part of the school and I feel does much in getting children to accept difference.  The added bonus was it was 5 mins walk away lol

I know migrants who have opted for private education and moved their children to state schools and they've been happier and visa versa - it really is about having a feel and knowing if your child will fit in or not.

ETA - you don't say what visa - obviously, if it's a temporary visa WA has school fees for temporary residents.

• Like 1