Visa help for carpenter

Chadders

Hi guys,

I'm after a little help on whether staying in Sydney on a 189/190 visa is doable. I have 70+5 points for a 190, I think. 

I'm a carpenter living in Sydney currently on a second working holiday visa. I've been offered sponsorship and am currently in the process of doing that (but would prefer to have a visa that isn't tied to one employer). 

I have around 6 months left on my current working holiday visa and would prefer to have a 189 or 190 rather than the TSS.

If I do the skills assessment and lodge the EOI now - does anyone know the current time frame for an invitation to apply in NSW? Am I right to think that if I've been invited and submitted my application - I'll go onto a bridging visa while it's being processed? 

Also open to considering the new 491 (regional) visa. Does anyone have any experience of that one? 

Thank you

The 491 is brand new so no one will have experience of it yet.  It is easier to get than the 189 or 190, and you need to be aware of the conditions. You can't live in Sydney on that visa though, it's only for regional areas.  

The good news is that you've got an offer of sponsorship so that gives you at least 2 years to sort yourself out.  Have a consultation with a migration agent and they'll give you an idea what your chances are - all the reputable ones will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

Edited by Marisawright

12 hours ago, Chadders said:

Hi guys,

I'm after a little help on whether staying in Sydney on a 189/190 visa is doable. I have 70+5 points for a 190, I think. 

You will not get invited for a 189 with 70 points. Last invitation round required 95 points.

You can lodge an EOI for NSW 190 and hope that NSW offers you sponsorship.

I'm a carpenter living in Sydney currently on a second working holiday visa. I've been offered sponsorship and am currently in the process of doing that (but would prefer to have a visa that isn't tied to one employer). 

I have around 6 months left on my current working holiday visa and would prefer to have a 189 or 190 rather than the TSS.

Not a lot of time considering that you would need to obtain a positive skills assessment, lodge an EOI, get invited by NSW, lodge a NSW application, get approved by NSW, receive an Invitation form DOHA and finally lodge a visa application. 

If I do the skills assessment and lodge the EOI now - does anyone know the current time frame for an invitation to apply in NSW?

It will depend on how many applications are ahead of you with more points. NSW does not publish time frames. 

Am I right to think that if I've been invited and submitted my application - I'll go onto a bridging visa while it's being processed? 

If you lodge a valid visa while onshore, you will receive a bridging visa.

Also open to considering the new 491 (regional) visa. Does anyone have any experience of that one? 

As you are onshore, you would need to be living in a Designated Regional Area before NSW would consider sponsoring you.

• 3 months later...
On 12/01/2020 at 02:14, Chadders said:

Hi guys,

If I do the skills assessment and lodge the EOI now - does anyone know the current time frame for an invitation to apply in NSW? Am I right to think that if I've been invited and submitted my application - I'll go onto a bridging visa while it's being processed? 

Thank you

I've recently been invited to NSW, as a carpenter 85+5ss. PM if you need some information