Citizenship advice

QLD1872015

Hello,

I am currently wondering what my best option is. I am a permanent resident which was granted on 19.07.2016 however before this I was granted a bridging visa E on the 17.12.2015 after voluntarily cancelling my student visa to pursue my PR through 187.

Now I’m under the impression I am eligible for citizenship since 17.12.2019, 4 years after becoming lawful again on my bridging visa E or should I wait until it’s been 4 years since my PR was granted?

I would be so grateful for anyone’s opinion.

I am also looking to legally change my surname and not sure if this will effect my citizenship application?

Thanks in advance ☺️

Here is an outline of what is necessary to satisfy the residence requirements for Australian citizenship,:

*       The applicant has been present in Australia for the period of at least 4 years before the date of lodging the application for citizenship (lawful residence date)

*       The applicant was not an unlawful non-citizen in that period

*       The applicant has been a permanent resident for at least 12 months before the date of lodging the application for citizenship (permanent residence date)

*       The total period of absence(s) in the previous 4 years before the date of application was not more than 12 months

*       The total period of absence(s) in the previous 12 months before the date of application was not more than 90 days and in those period(s) of absence, the applicant was a permanent resident of Australia