Entry into UK

Cookster

Does anyone have any information on entry into the UK for a single Mum and child.   Mum and child have Australian passports and have travelled abroad before.  Father is absent.  Does UK immigration need a letter of consent from the father.

Appreciate any advise/ information..

Hi there,

Will only be an issue if the child is on the Family Law watchlist.

You can check with the AFP (google the form), they normally turn it around in a few days. 

If the child is on the watchlist, they will not be allowed leave Australia until removed (court order)

Are there court orders in place?

A letter of consent from the other parent isn't required but can be helpful if you run into hassles.

Depending on your intentions you should also be aware of the Hague convention.

If it's just a holiday you should be ok.

If you intend to relocate permanently without the other parent's (or family court's) expressed written consent you could have an issue if the other parent applies for a recovery order.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, I have some experience of the Australian family court system.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cookster said:

Hi there.

Never heard of the family law list and no court orders in place.

Only going to UK for a 3 week holidaybut concerned we may need something. 

Father wont sign anything. 

Ok. For a holiday you should be fine.  UK immigration won't cause an issue.

It's easy & free to check the family law watchlist with the AFP and worth doing for peace of mind.  Last thing you need is an issue at the airport.

If the child has travelled overseas before without issue, it is unlikely the other parent will have applied to put them them on it.

Depending on the age of the child, longer term it may be worth formalising the situation with consent orders in the family court.  This can be done by mediation and just formalised in the court.

At some stage you will need to renew the child's passport and will need the other parent's consent (unless the child turns 18 in the meantime).

Just curious, how did the child obtain a passport in the first place without the other parent's consent? (Or did they give their consent at some stage?)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cookster said:

No chance of him being on the family law watchlist, believe me 🙄

Well, of that's the case, you should have no issues as long as you have passports in date (not sure if you'll need 6 months on them for the UK or transit countries).

Enjoy your holiday.

2 hours ago, Cookster said:

Morning,  Have you actually entered UK without consent letter?

Do you both have the same surname? 

If you do they generally don't have any issues if you don't they will ask some questions, make you feel small and then wave you through anyway.

At least that is our experience

Just bring a copy 9f the birth cert with your details on it, just in case.

I don't think you'll need it though.

I travelled to Europe (not the UK though)  through the middle east last year with my 5 year old on Australian passports.  We had no issues anywhere.

I have family court orders but never had to produce them.