VFS Global Brisbane biometrics fee query

Serenjones

Hi,  I'm going through the spouse visa process to bring my QLD resident husband to the UK.  Everything has been done apart from his biometrics appointment.  I went to select a time and date and it indicated it was a "free" appointment, however when I saved the booking it moved me onto another page and it's asking for $110.  Is this normal as there was no mention of this extra cost prior to me selecting an appointment and I thought all of the paying for this (very expensive) visa was finished!  If that's what I need to do I'll go ahead and pay of course but I was wondering if this is normal.  

People on other forums have suggested that there are free appointments available but you have to arrange them for much further ahead and have to pay for earlier appointments.  Being here in the UK and this being my first foray into the world of visas/immigration I'm not familiar with how things are done  at these centres and I can't find any information on the subject online.  

Thanks for any help.

Ours was free (the same week) and when I looked up why others were paying, people have said you have to pay if you live where your biometrics appointment is done? We live in Newcastle so didn’t have to pay as we had to travel to Sydney but had we lived in Sydney we would have been charged! Don’t know if that’s true, do you live near your appointment?

11 hours ago, xlornax said:

Ours was free (the same week) and when I looked up why others were paying, people have said you have to pay if you live where your biometrics appointment is done? We live in Newcastle so didn’t have to pay as we had to travel to Sydney but had we lived in Sydney we would have been charged! Don’t know if that’s true, do you live near your appointment?

Hi, it's my husband's appointment (I'm in the UK) and yes he does live in Brisbane where his appointment is.  That's bizarre that they charge if you live in the same area!