Evidence for cash work

Hi guys,

I am in process of doing a skilled visa and will require a skills assessment to transfer qualifications etc...

my problem is that from 2008 October I earned cash up to January 2012.  Then from 2012 I earned £475 monthly as an employee for my dad as we had a deal he would save up the difference for my deposit for my house, Hence the low income. That was all the way up to may 2017 then I became director of my dads building company and was payed £960 monthly up to today’s date. 
my issue is I’m worried that they won’t except my cash work as I can’t prove it with tax records. 
I can get references for the cash work but would that be enough. 

Also would they except my low income as evidence aswell seeing as I was on £475 a month while my dad saved the money for me for my deposit for house “Was the only way I could save as I’m terrible with money” 

any advice would be massively appreciated thank you 

Try calling the down under centre in London. They should be able to tell you how you can evidence a skills assessment.

1. A wholesaler could supply a stat dec saying you have been a customer of x years and are well known tradesperson in whatever field.

2. Customer references 

Do you really need to prove all them years anyway? I mean most people can pass a skills assessment with 2/3 years. And even For the visa you only need to prove 8 years for max points. 

1 hour ago, El the Plasterer said:

Hiya
I would need to prove 8 years as only have a level 1 nvq but would £475 A month be enough proof for a skills assessment as the income is so low. ?

In short no it wouldn't - to be counted as a year of experience it needs to be a year you worked at least 20 hours a week. 475 is not enough per month to get you to minimum wage.

You'd open up a huge can of worms if you declared these years - including the tax man going back and assessing you as if you had been paid all the cash your dad "saved" for you and he would probably also get investigated and have that cash taxed as though it was his income (as he was saving it not you)

Unless you sort out the tax implications of the early years, they are no use to you for immigration reasons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

In short no it wouldn't - to be counted as a year of experience it needs to be a year you worked at least 20 hours a week. 475 is not enough per month to get you to minimum wage.

You'd open up a huge can of worms if you declared these years - including the tax man going back and assessing you as if you had been paid all the cash your dad "saved" for you and he would probably also get investigated and have that cash taxed as though it was his income (as he was saving it not you)

Unless you sort out the tax implications of the early years, they are no use to you for immigration reasons

My thoughts exactly. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the text below won't help the original poster but may help others in a similar situation that still have time to rectify.

The thing the poster and the parent did was on some levels a good idea, holding the cash so that it couldn't be frittered away.

However the correct way to do this would have been to pay the entire salary through PAYE (pay the correct tax, NI and employers contributions) and then save the right amount in a long notice account so it can't be accessed

Unfortunately by taking cash payments of a lower amount there is a nasty paperwork issue in that the poster has no tax history, probably has no state pension entitlement and therefore has no proof to go to the AUS authorities with to prove their skills