Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The UK and Climate Change

Recommended Posts

On 04/03/2020 at 12:13, Paul1Perth said:

The job for life concept dissapeared long ago. There's going to be massive job losses coming very soon as technology and AI advances. 

Most people, when it comes to the crunch, worry and care about themselves and their family first and the planets ecosystems second. It's very easy to say what should be done and how quickly when you have a job you think isn't going to affected or you're retired like me.

A lot of people that think they're safe, they can protest, don't go ahead with Adani, close all the coal fired power stations next week, stop taking coal out are clueless of the knock on affects for the whole economy and in the end, their lifestyle.

I don't disagree with the scientists but I think the government is doing as much as it can to slowly change things and not being too influenced by inner city greenies who haven't a clue what manual work, industry and farming is about.

Yes, I must agree with you that the government is doing everything it can to put the brakes on making changes.

Interesting that you mentioned farming.  In the context of global warming farmers are first in the firing line in this country.

  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This was sent to me via email.

A point to ponder re electric cars;

Snow...and electric cars !

Has anyone thought it through?

If all cars were electrically powered.....

Imagine three hours of traffic jam trying to keep warm, battery goes flat, what are you going to do? 

 

 

There is practically no heating in an electric vehicle over extended periods

If you are stuck in traffic during the night, no battery energy left, no heating !!!

Call the breakdown services to collect women and children !!

They can’t even get there because the roads are choked !!

When the road is cleared no one can move, (flat batteries) !!

How are the hundreds or thousands of cars going to be recharged ?

It’s going to be the same in the summer traffic jams.

That’s going to be perpetual jams with dead batteries.

          (But nobody talks about it !)

Cheers, Bobj.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bobj said:

 

This was sent to me via email.

A point to ponder re electric cars;

Snow...and electric cars !

Has anyone thought it through?

If all cars were electrically powered.....

Imagine three hours of traffic jam trying to keep warm, battery goes flat, what are you going to do? 

 

 

There is practically no heating in an electric vehicle over extended periods

If you are stuck in traffic during the night, no battery energy left, no heating !!!

Call the breakdown services to collect women and children !!

They can’t even get there because the roads are choked !!

When the road is cleared no one can move, (flat batteries) !!

How are the hundreds or thousands of cars going to be recharged ?

It’s going to be the same in the summer traffic jams.

That’s going to be perpetual jams with dead batteries.

          (But nobody talks about it !)

Cheers, Bobj.

 

 

 

 

 

It's not a big deal.  Most sensible people keep a rug/sleeping bag in the car during winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unzippy said:

It's not a big deal.  Most sensible people keep a rug/sleeping bag in the car during winter.

In the UK they drive around in shirtsleeves in the winter and are amazed when they breakdown, see loads shivering on the side of the motorways waiting to be towed

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

In the UK they drive around in shirtsleeves in the winter and are amazed when they breakdown, see loads shivering on the side of the motorways waiting to be towed

But the claim is the planet is getting too warm so how are they shivering 🥶 

Edited by Rallyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tesla has been hammered on the sharemarket.

As Oil becomes cheap and expensive electric car makes a lot less sense to most people.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2020 at 16:49, BacktoDemocracy said:

In the UK they drive around in shirtsleeves in the winter and are amazed when they breakdown, see loads shivering on the side of the motorways waiting to be towed

I drove between Manchester and Chesterfield just about every weekend for a few years. Best route over the snake pass, sometimes it was closed so i'd go through Buxton. I've driven in terrible weather and like the poster above said, usually in T shirt, with no concept of what would happen if I broke down.

Never had a sleeping bag or rug in the car, didn't know anyone that did. Would have had a jacket maybe. That's about all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The area of Scotland where I grew up has had very dry weather. A devastating wildfire destroyed thousands of acres of the countryside last week.  Firefighters worked for five days to tackle the blaze which broke out in a remote area between Gatehouse and Mossdale.  At its peak there were 60 firefighters and 10 engines from crews across the south of Scotland – as well as two helicopters – trying to control the blaze which threatened houses.  😟  Woodland belonging to Forestry and Land Scotland was the worst affected.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Toots said:

The area of Scotland where I grew up has had very dry weather. A devastating wildfire destroyed thousands of acres of the countryside last week.  Firefighters worked for five days to tackle the blaze which broke out in a remote area between Gatehouse and Mossdale.  At its peak there were 60 firefighters and 10 engines from crews across the south of Scotland – as well as two helicopters – trying to control the blaze which threatened houses.  😟  Woodland belonging to Forestry and Land Scotland was the worst affected.

 

It's been a very dry spring. They do happen and have done for millennia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Toots said:

The area of Scotland where I grew up has had very dry weather. A devastating wildfire destroyed thousands of acres of the countryside last week.  Firefighters worked for five days to tackle the blaze which broke out in a remote area between Gatehouse and Mossdale.  At its peak there were 60 firefighters and 10 engines from crews across the south of Scotland – as well as two helicopters – trying to control the blaze which threatened houses.  😟  Woodland belonging to Forestry and Land Scotland was the worst affected.

 

Didn't even get a  mention in any media outside the area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simmo said:

It's been a very dry spring. They do happen and have done for millennia.

Not very often at all in Scotland  ..................  not when I lived in the UK anyway.  Wonder if it was deliberately lit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Didn't even get a  mention in any media outside the area

It was reported on the BBC and ITV.  I've never known a wildfire to occur in that area before.

 

Edited by Toots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toots said:

It was reported on the BBC and ITV.  I've never known a wildfire to occur in that area before.

 

Didn't  notice it but I'm in the midlands, not on national news as far as I saw, but then covid has taken over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global freezing here- lousy luke warm Summer, freezing Autumn.  I suppose they will all change their tune and start going on about instability next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Global freezing here- lousy luke warm Summer, freezing Autumn.  I suppose they will all change their tune and start going on about instability next. 

Weather is local. 

The planet is a big place and overall it has heated by about 1C.  Some areas, particularly in the Arctic appear to be warming much more than 1C.  It follows therefore that other areas may not be experiencing any warming at all.

Even if you or I were experiencing average temperatures over the period of a whole year which were 1C higher than they were 30-40 years ago I am confident we would not notice that.


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Global freezing here- lousy luke warm Summer, freezing Autumn.  I suppose they will all change their tune and start going on about instability next. 

We had a lovely summer.  It's well into autumn now and apart form a couple of wet, cold windy days most of the days are very pleasant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking out the window it reminds me of Kenilworth on a cold day. Miserable . Apparently the sun is back tomorrow thank goodness. Hate the overcast skies and that horrible grey light, most depressing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a great spring.  Sunny and warm on the whole.  A few days with strong winds but not bad at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, simmo said:

We had a great spring.  Sunny and warm on the whole.  A few days with strong winds but not bad at all.

I've had shorts on for 5 or 6 weeks. We moved to Australia in 2008 before returning last year but I don't remember ever wearing shorts for most of April in the UK before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×