register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The UK and Climate Change

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

I wonder why he is the former president @simmo?

It's all in the video. Did you understand it? @unzippy?

15 hours ago, Rallyman said:

My concerns are for job losses as I have seen and experienced mass unemployment over night.

You’re right.  Jobs in mining and burning coal are far more important than climate change......especially if you don’t believe the scientific case for it.

You maybe don’t realise that people can retrain and do different jobs either as you clearly seems to exist in some other Century where people left school at 15 and worked for the same company for 50 years before retiring.

This will only happen “overnight” if we adopt your plan of pretending it won’t be necessary.  Plan for it and phase the changes over the next 5 years and it will not happen overnight.  And switching emphasis to renewables provides a load of jobs too.  It isn’t a zero sum game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You’re right.  Jobs in mining and burning coal are far more important than climate change......especially if you don’t believe the scientific case for it.

You maybe don’t realise that people can retrain and do different jobs either as you clearly seems to exist in some other Century where people left school at 15 and worked for the same company for 50 years before retiring.

This will only happen “overnight” if we adopt your plan of pretending it won’t be necessary.  Plan for it and phase the changes over the next 5 years and it will not happen overnight.  And switching emphasis to renewables provides a load of jobs too.  It isn’t a zero sum game.

I presume you are very happy about the corona virus pandemic.

Apparently Beijing smog is a lot lower now due to the reduced activity. Perhaps the planet will be saved after all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Gullible is the correct word.  Your link is a few pages of character assassination but very little in scientific facts. 

What, the link from Greenpeace?  

Or the link showing he's a paid lobbyist for a Nuclear energy company?

Which facts are you disputing?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I presume you are very happy about the corona virus pandemic.

Apparently Beijing smog is a lot lower now due to the reduced activity. Perhaps the planet will be saved after all.

A temporary blip I am sure.

I am assuming your tongue was firmly in cheek there as otherwise your first line could be construed as an outrageous statement given that thousands have already died from this virus and the prospects are looking bleak as I write.  Pandemics of this nature have the capability to kill millions.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

A temporary blip I am sure.

I am assuming your tongue was firmly in cheek there as otherwise your first line could be construed as an outrageous statement given that thousands have already died from this virus and the prospects are looking bleak as I write.  Pandemics of this nature have the capability to kill millions.

I thought you believe that is what the world needs. A lower population.

So your wish may come true.

You definitely should get the flu injection this year if you care about protecting yourself of course.

Edited by Parley

1 minute ago, Parley said:

I thought you believe that is what the world needs. A lower population.

So your wish may come true.

You definitely should get the flu injection this year if you care about protecting yourself of course.

Most people acknowledge that the global population is too high however there are systemic issues which lead to this.

I sincerely hope that this virus doesn’t have any effect on global population as the numbers killed would have to be truly catastrophic for such an outcome.

You seem to have a very sick mind given your last two posts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You seem to have a very sick mind given your last two posts.

Probably.

On 28/02/2020 at 04:43, Gbye grey sky said:

Better to remain ignorant in your view?

Then perhaps the younger generation won’t realise until its too late.

Is that your best strategy?

Worked for our generation. Didn't worry about much at all. More focused on which pub we were meeting in, which nightclubs we were going to, which bands we were seeing, where was the best chance of having a good time with the opposite sex.

These days, with kids tied to their devices they are bombarded with bad stuff 24x7.

Leave the worrying to older people and have a good time when you're young is still my motto. We are all going to die eventually.

16 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

They said that to the miners when Thatchet closed the pits. Sounds great in theory but I'm one of the seriously lucky ones that was young enough to retrain, had a few quals that got me started, didn't have a mortgage and kids to worry about. Not like my Dad or uncles and cousins who worked for the NCB. Bet you can still pick up a cheap house in any pit community. The retraining doesn't happen, who's going to pay for it? Even more serious, who's going to pay the mortgage and all the other bills whilst you "retrain".

• Like 1

On 01/03/2020 at 15:38, Gbye grey sky said:

I hate to break this to you but one day those coal mines will close, mate.

Obviously plans should be put in place for those workers affected.

We used to make cars here but no longer do.  Jobs were lost.  It happens.  We move on.  It’s called progress.

Tell that to the car workers who've lost their jobs. I'm sure they'll just be happy with calling it progress and tell the bank manager that progress will pay his mortgage this month.

15 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Tell that to the car workers who've lost their jobs. I'm sure they'll just be happy with calling it progress and tell the bank manager that progress will pay his mortgage this month.

So you also think that everyone is simply entitled to a job for life...even if the long term consequences of keeping that particular job for life is to irrevocable harm the planet’s ecosystems?

From where I sit you have your priorities skewed but then if you have convinced yourself that you know more than all those who have spent their lives studying the science then skewed priorities aren’t your greatest problem.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So you also think that everyone is simply entitled to a job for life...even if the long term consequences of keeping that particular job for life is to irrevocable harm the planet’s ecosystems?

From where I sit you have your priorities skewed but then if you have convinced yourself that you know more than all those who have spent their lives studying the science then skewed priorities aren’t your greatest problem.

Stop the personal insults all the time.

Lately every post you make includes a sly insult.

Can't you take on board what the mods and admin have asked and start acting like an adult ?

Edited by Parley
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, unzippy said:

What, the link from Greenpeace?  

Or the link showing he's a paid lobbyist for a Nuclear energy company?

Which facts are you disputing?

Nice swerve.

So appart from the character assassination, what actual facts and you and GP contesting.

18 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

All to easy to say from behind a keyboard and retired 

ding ding I am on the bus let’s go that’s your attitude. 

We’ll still be here in 50 years time ticking along , non of the climate predictions have come true in last 40 years . 

As stated many many times change will come , you need to keep calm and stop panicking. 

This sums up electric cars 

C5DA5697-05D0-44D0-9FEF-583AC008B510.jpeg

20 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The job for life concept dissapeared long ago. There's going to be massive job losses coming very soon as technology and AI advances. 

Most people, when it comes to the crunch, worry and care about themselves and their family first and the planets ecosystems second. It's very easy to say what should be done and how quickly when you have a job you think isn't going to affected or you're retired like me.

A lot of people that think they're safe, they can protest, don't go ahead with Adani, close all the coal fired power stations next week, stop taking coal out are clueless of the knock on affects for the whole economy and in the end, their lifestyle.

I don't disagree with the scientists but I think the government is doing as much as it can to slowly change things and not being too influenced by inner city greenies who haven't a clue what manual work, industry and farming is about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The job for life concept dissapeared long ago. There's going to be massive job losses coming very soon as technology and AI advances. 

Most people, when it comes to the crunch, worry and care about themselves and their family first and the planets ecosystems second. It's very easy to say what should be done and how quickly when you have a job you think isn't going to affected or you're retired like me.

A lot of people that think they're safe, they can protest, don't go ahead with Adani, close all the coal fired power stations next week, stop taking coal out are clueless of the knock on affects for the whole economy and in the end, their lifestyle.

I don't disagree with the scientists but I think the government is doing as much as it can to slowly change things and not being too influenced by inner city greenies who haven't a clue what manual work, industry and farming is about.

Absolutely agree 💯with you Paul 

all too easy when  in retirement or if job losses won’t effect you , but in reality they will this points flys over their heads 

On 03/03/2020 at 16:43, simmo said:

Nice swerve.

So appart from the character assassination, what actual facts and you and GP contesting.

Why do you do badly want to believe this fool? This is the same fool that in one notable media appearance, he defended the safety of glyphosate, a weed killer, by saying he could drink a quart of the product straight with no problem. When challenged to do so by the interviewer, he changed course, saying he wouldn’t because he’s “not an idiot” before abruptly ending the interview 🤣

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Why do you do badly want to believe this fool? This is the same fool that in one notable media appearance, he defended the safety of glyphosate, a weed killer, by saying he could drink a quart of the product straight with no problem. When challenged to do so by the interviewer, he changed course, saying he wouldn’t because he’s “not an idiot” before abruptly ending the interview 🤣

Yes, I remember that one.

He may be an idiot but he has been a useful idiot.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 16:37, Rallyman said:

All to easy to say from behind a keyboard and retired 

ding ding I am on the bus let’s go that’s your attitude. 

We’ll still be here in 50 years time ticking along , non of the climate predictions have come true in last 40 years . 

As stated many many times change will come , you need to keep calm and stop panicking. 

This sums up electric cars 

C5DA5697-05D0-44D0-9FEF-583AC008B510.jpeg

All too easy to dismiss climate change from behind a keyboard, particularly when you won’t be around to deal with the consequences.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The river Severn 20200304_114857.thumb.jpg.2638b3101274f4a17b54f4e4a9c6e90a.jpg today at hampton loade near bridgnorth

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

The river Severn 20200304_114857.thumb.jpg.2638b3101274f4a17b54f4e4a9c6e90a.jpg today at hampton loade near bridgnorth

Dont have cold winters anymore and bouts of extreme heat in the summer, global warming at its best

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Dont have cold winters anymore and bouts of extreme heat in the summer, global warming at its best

Couldn't possibly comment on the global warming , but in the last 20 years ,its certainly been milder and wetter in the winter , hence the level of the river which has seriously burst its banks - agsin

No snow at all this winter - no icy roads - and definitely no days below zero 

I have only seen the gritters once this winter 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

7 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Nothing new there , Severn has always flooded in winter and a lot higher in years gone by. 

They said that to the miners when Thatchet closed the pits. Sounds great in theory but I'm one of the seriously lucky ones that was young enough to retrain, had a few quals that got me started, didn't have a mortgage and kids to worry about. Not like my Dad or uncles and cousins who worked for the NCB. Bet you can still pick up a cheap house in any pit community. The retraining doesn't happen, who's going to pay for it? Even more serious, who's going to pay the mortgage and all the other bills whilst you "retrain".

I had to retrain whilst working and I foot the bill. No state hand outs for me, thank you. Bit i saw what was coming down the track and the need to up skill and make myself employable. Which i did. I made my own luck.

If people plan, save and invest in themselves, then there is no luck required. If you wait for things to happen (even if you protest and oppose their happening), then yes - good luck indeed.

Better to spend the energy and time preparing for change and bettering oneself rather than spending time and energy opposing change. Especially if its change that none of is have much control over (other than to mitigate against the worst of it), by planning and moving to sustainable approaches.