register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The UK and Climate Change

23 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So, what year is it acceptable to stop all coal mining, shut the remaining coal fire power stations, in your view?

Bear in mind though that whether that is 2025 or 2055 it will involve job losses.

Your the one that wants them closed ASAP 

tell us what your plan and time scale this should be over and how it will be done 

Tell is what you are going to do to help workforce and how it will all be paid for. 

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Have to say this has been the worst Summer I remember. Just a few hot days, not enough to get into the Summer groove. Cold today and yesterday. Where are those long hot summers we used to have 20 years ago ? I am heartily sick of all the lies about warming - it has by passed us, that’s for sure.

As I'm sure you've twigged by now I dislike hot weather so we have had a lovely summer here.  Two days when it reached just over 30C and most days round about the 22C mark.  It's been a nice warm, dry summer but just when things were starting to look a bit parched we had rainfall during the night and a couple of days of drizzle.  All in all not a bad summer at all.  I'm looking forward to autumn now (which starts tomorrow).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Toots said:

As I'm sure you've twigged by now I dislike hot weather so we have had a lovely summer here.  Two days when it reached just over 30C and most days round about the 22C mark.  It's been a nice warm, dry summer but just when things were starting to look a bit parched we had rainfall during the night and a couple of days of drizzle.  All in all not a bad summer at all.  I'm looking forward to autumn now (which starts tomorrow).

A very strange summer for Melbourne.

Very few very hot days. Quite a lot of cool wet weather too.

I want it all, and I want it now.

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

A very strange summer for Melbourne.

Very few very hot days. Quite a lot of cool wet weather too.

I hope it’s saving some nice, warm weather for when I’m there. Not too hot though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I hope it’s saving some nice, warm weather for when I’m there. Not too hot though.

When are you coming to visit us ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

When are you coming to visit us ?

I’ll be there the first week of April. 

• Thanks 1

Bring your warm clothes Tulip, you never know here - freezing one minute, boiling the next.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Ah the old straw man thrown in When you have lost the discussion. 

When have I said I want the mines closed ? I want them to stay open you really are not following this are you. 

YOU want coal mining closed down , you have no plan on how to do this to prevent what happened back in 80’s to uk work force,  no plan on  what to do with the work force , no plan or ideas on how support and small business will survive, no plan how to save the heart of local communities. 

I experienced heavy industries closing down and a work force thrown on scrap heap , you never have. 

when you have walked a mile in those shoes I will listen. 

Every country has wind available or is it selective that is a very silly comment to make along with solar if they can produce it in uk it can be used virtually anywhere in the world 

When you have a viable plan come back 

you are just waffling 

No, this is waffle..

What has  been said, over and over, is, plan, create a strategy, decide a workable timescale and start to implement it.

Because if countries do not then change will be forced onto them and then the changes will be catastrophic, the carbon industries WILL CLOSE very rapidly with nothing alternative there to provide any kind of underpinning to the economy and then you WILL see a economic collapse like the 1920's in Britain and the US, running alongside the extremes of climate change.

What the climate change deniers refuse to face up to are the relatively small window of opportunity that the world has and that the old capitalist nonsense of profit and individualism of the late 20th C and early 21st C is going to have to be jettisoned if humanity is going to survive in anything like relative comfort.

If you are happy because you see yourself as successful making big bucks off the back of 21st C capitalism, think again, capitalists will not go down the gurgler when the crunch comes but all the people hanging onto their coattails will. 

Covid 19 is going to be a test of capitalist globalisation and it is going to expose the weakness of it and neo conservative individualism, we are about to see the effects of unplanned change played out in front of us.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Bring your warm clothes Tulip, you never know here - freezing one minute, boiling the next.

I will. I’ve been there a few times and remember how quickly it can change.  

• Like 1

This is what we need to be eating!

• Haha 1

Former President of Greenpeace Scientifically Rips Climate Change to Shreds

greenpeace

Should We Celebrate Carbon Dioxide?

My Lords and Ladies, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Thank you for the opportunity to set out my views on climate change. As I have stated publicly on many occasions, there is no definitive scientific proof, through real-world observation, that carbon dioxide is responsible for any of the slight warming of the global climate that has occurred during the past 300 years, since the peak of the Little Ice Age. If there were such a proof through testing and replication it would have been written down for all to see.

The contention that human emissions are now the dominant influence on climate is simply a hypothesis, rather than a universally accepted scientific theory. It is therefore correct, indeed verging on compulsory in the scientific tradition, to be skeptical of those who express certainty that “the science is settled” and “the debate is over”.

But there is certainty beyond any doubt that CO2 is the building block for all life on Earth and that without its presence in the global atmosphere at a sufficient concentration this would be a dead planet. Yet today our children and our publics are taught that CO2 is a toxic pollutant that will destroy life and bring civilization to its knees. Tonight I hope to turn this dangerous human-caused propaganda on its head. Tonight I will demonstrate that human emissions of CO2 have already saved life on our planet from a very untimely end. That in the absence of our emitting some of the carbon back into the atmosphere from whence it came in the first place, most or perhaps all life on Earth would begin to die less than two million years from today.

more

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What has  been said, over and over, is, plan, create a strategy, decide a workable timescale and start to implement it.

Err I think I have been saying this from word go  , you need to convince GGS not me 

3 hours ago, simmo said:

greenpeace

Should We Celebrate Carbon Dioxide?

more

The speech 

On 28/02/2020 at 22:26, starlight7 said:

Have to say this has been the worst Summer I remember. Just a few hot days, not enough to get into the Summer groove. Cold today and yesterday. Where are those long hot summers we used to have 20 years ago ? I am heartily sick of all the lies about warming - it has by passed us, that’s for sure.

It’s strange isn’t it, yet the situation seems to be getting bad up here. I don’t know if it’s because I lived in Melbourne for most of my time in Oz, then to the tropics added to the fact we were always on mains water but these last 4 years seem to have been bad, the drought seems to have got worse, maybe we notice it more now we are carting water in and seeing farmers losing cattle and agricultural crops dying around us. One local farmer is carting in 700,000 litres a week and that’s only 50% of what they need to run. Imagine how much that is costing. The agricultural farm behind us water their crops from the bore and all the area loses pressure or pumps up mud and dirt. 
‘Thankfully the rains in the last few weeks should keep everyone going for a little longer.

I was reading this article today https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/why-drought-busting-rain-depends-tropical-oceans

and was looking at the rain chart, Victoria looks to be still be getting the rain 😂😂

629DFBBA-A512-400C-8520-8E277A415B4C.gif

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 29/02/2020 at 06:05, Rallyman said:

Your the one that wants them closed ASAP 

tell us what your plan and time scale this should be over and how it will be done 

Tell is what you are going to do to help workforce and how it will all be paid for. 

Yes, indeed I do think that coal power stations should be closed as soon as technically feasible and that can only happen if both Federal and State Governments provide the right encouragement by actively promoting renewable alternatives.

I don’t know if 2025 is feasible but as nobody appears to be making plans at a high level to make it possible then it certainly isn’t.

What timetable would you propose?

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

20 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Err I think I have been saying this from word go  , you need to convince GGS not me 

No, your primary concern has been the potential job losses in the fossil fuels industries - or so you say anyway.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

On 29/02/2020 at 05:57, Rallyman said:

Ah the old straw man thrown in When you have lost the discussion. 

When have I said I want the mines closed ? I want them to stay open you really are not following this are you. 

YOU want coal mining closed down , you have no plan on how to do this to prevent what happened back in 80’s to uk work force,  no plan on  what to do with the work force , no plan or ideas on how support and small business will survive, no plan how to save the heart of local communities. 

I experienced heavy industries closing down and a work force thrown on scrap heap , you never have. 

when you have walked a mile in those shoes I will listen. 

Every country has wind available or is it selective that is a very silly comment to make along with solar if they can produce it in uk it can be used virtually anywhere in the world 

When you have a viable plan come back 

I hate to break this to you but one day those coal mines will close, mate.

Obviously plans should be put in place for those workers affected.

We used to make cars here but no longer do.  Jobs were lost.  It happens.  We move on.  It’s called progress.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

We used to make cars here but no longer do.  Jobs were lost.  It happens.  We move on.  It’s called progress.

Largely inarguable. 

21 hours ago, simmo said:

The speech 

Did anyone watch?

12 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So no plan and no idea to move forward 

just do as you demand 

That’s a great policy

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Yes, indeed I do think that coal power stations should be closed as soon as technically feasible and that can only happen if both Federal and State Governments provide the right encouragement by actively promoting renewable alternatives.

I don’t know if 2025 is feasible but as nobody appears to be making plans at a high level to make it possible then it certainly isn’t.

What timetable would you propose?

I think you will find that I have been saying the same, change will come in time but not in your time scale ( 5 years same as ER) as infrastructure is simply not up to 

you may wish to go back to Stone Age I don’t . 

it’s going to take 15-20 years to put everything in place. 

On 01/03/2020 at 17:31, Gbye grey sky said:

No, your primary concern has been the potential job losses in the fossil fuels industries - or so you say anyway.

My concerns are for job losses as I have seen and experienced mass unemployment over night.

On 29/02/2020 at 20:11, simmo said:

I wonder why he is the former president @simmo?

Greenpeace seem very keen to distance themselves from him.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/greenpeace-statement-on-patric/

greenpeace-moore-tweet-m.gif

Oh, he seems to be a paid lobbyist on behalf of the nuclear industry:

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Patrick_Moore

Come on @simmo, you're not usually this gullible!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

So no plan and no idea to move forward 

just do as you demand 

That’s a great policy

Yes, a plan.  Of course a plan.

That is almost funny coming from someone who is saying effectively lets just wait until it happens.  I am the one advocating a plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

I wonder why he is the former president @simmo?

Greenpeace seem very keen to distance themselves from him.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/greenpeace-statement-on-patric/

greenpeace-moore-tweet-m.gif

Oh, he seems to be a paid lobbyist on behalf of the nuclear industry:

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Patrick_Moore

Come on @simmo, you're not usually this gullible!

Gullible is the correct word.  Your link is a few pages of character assassination but very little in scientific facts.