register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The UK and Climate Change

12 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

J P Morgan this past week questioned the future of humanity if we do not act IMMEDIATELY on climate change.

JP Morgan are arch proponents of free market, profit driven, economics and even they recognise climate change as the foremost issue for humanity NOW, not when we can afford it, not when we can fit it in between keeping our jobs, our lifestyles, our holidays, our houses, but NOW

It will require SACRIFICES and our govts have to show LEADERSHIP.

Do you work, have a mortgage, car family commitments, maybe kids in uni? Would you be willing to not have the job, or face astronomic bills? If your answer is yes you'd be in a minority.

The big difference between Australia and many of the European countries is that they mostly have nuclear power. We don't. We just sell the wherewithall to others. We actually couldn't handle it, we don't have the skills. 

It doesn’t surprise me, given that people are expending energy to argue the toss that climate change human activity induced/influenced is not a ‘thing’.

So of course the skills to do something else haven’t been grown. Be it nuclear or anything else. Some do persevere though

13 hours ago, Rallyman said:

It’s not government spending money it’s what it will cost the general public, you have gone to extreme views on coal and climate change compared to 6 months ago , you would send us into Stone Age with ER demands 

all too easy when your livelihood is not dependent on it to be a keyboard warrior 

putting solar on your roof is not going to save the planet , protecting the environment first will and be more beneficial. 

I can guarantee that 100 years from now our grandchildren/great grand-children will view digging up coal and setting fire to it as ‘stone-age’.

If  one’s livelihood is dependent on rendering the planet unfit for human habitation then I would respectfully suggest that person look to earn their living by other means.  Just saying.

My views are not extreme at all.  I merely accord with mainstream scientific research.  Those who are in denial are the real extremists.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

4 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I can guarantee that 100 years from now our grandchildren/great grand-children will view digging up coal and setting fire to it as ‘stone-age’.

If  one’s livelihood is dependent on rendering the planet unfit for human habitation then I would respectfully suggest that person look to earn their living by other means.  Just saying.

My views are not extreme at all.  I merely accord with mainstream scientific research.  Those who are in denial are the real extremists.

You could quote anything from 100 years ago and say it was “ Stone Age back then “ 

easier said than done all too easy to say get another job when you have retired that is plain insulting to hard working people

What you seem to find difficult is the time  change is happening, it will come but not at your speed , I would go as far as to say in 10 years it will be quite different to today. 

Edited by The Pom Queen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ssiri said:

What will send everyone to the ‘stone-age’ is not doing anything to plan for a transition at the level of authority required to do so. ie:,leaders leading.

You can’t just simply shut industry down Over night that is the driving force of the wealth of the country, we simply don’t have the technology to do that in next 5 years 

change will come but not at the cost of 1000’s out of work and billions of dollars for country. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

You can’t just simply shut industry down Over night that is the driving force of the wealth of the country, we simply don’t have the technology to do that in next 5 years 

change will come but not at the cost of 1000’s out of work and billions of dollars for country. 

Yes. The throw the baby out with the bath water approach was comprehensively rejected by the Australian voters at the last election.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

5 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You can't guarantee what will be happening in 10 years time, let alone 100. There's plenty more things to be more worried about for kids/grandkids than climate change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you work, have a mortgage, car family commitments, maybe kids in uni? Would you be willing to not have the job, or face astronomic bills? If your answer is yes you'd be in a minority.

Which is why, the leaders need to get on top of transition planning and support asap.

They aren't procrastinating. The transitions happening. Saw on the news last night that so many people are using solar panels that the grid is in a bad state and the electricity companies are struggling  to guarantee supply and security. They have to guarantee supply too, it's in their charter to operate. 

Which implies they aren’t planning or preparing for transitioning. So yes they are procrastinating.

Having said that, assuming they are capable of the required innovation, this isn’t a massive issue. They will have it under control. If they aren’t capable of it, then they are panicking and need to pull the proverbial finger out. It’ll either be kicking or screaming, in a planned manner or get left behind. Their choice.

You can't guarantee what will be happening in 10 years time, let alone 100. There's plenty more things to be more worried about for kids/grandkids than climate change.

Yes. They will have to worry about putting food on the table and earning a crust, because of it. I’d imagine having kids will become either an expensive option or as in agrarian societies, the only way to spread the risk of having poor health, economic and sustenance outcomes.

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Mate, governments can show as much leadership as they like but first they have to get elected. You saw the results when Labor had green policies here that would have cost thousands of jobs and you had Labour in the UK have even crazier policies.

JP Morgan say what they say because it's the popular thing to say, not because they are willing to do anything that cuts into their profits or their scarily well paid executives.

They want action, but like everyone else as long as it doesn't affect them or their profits.

Of course it will affect their profits

Have you ever thought that if the politicians really wanted to act Scomos lot should have agreed with Labours policies instead of simply presenting populist policies of doing nothing to upset the status quo in order to get elected and then obfuscate for another 3 years.

Action and LEADERSHIP means change and doing something different

I thought that would have occurred to all who really want to see action

That is what J P Morgan were talking about, but hey ho lets just carry on, business as uusual

• Haha 1

On 24/02/2020 at 16:35, Rallyman said:

Was listening to radio today and comments on the infrastructure is in a  shocking state of repair and we are in real danger of grid crashing it’s a real mess, and being realistic about costs on how much people will pay   Only a certain amount to go round 

It's about priorities, submarine building, building more roads and tunnels?!

Higher Taxation of multi national companies, withdrawing  tax advantages from polluting industries, making the mega rich contribute to the future of the planet thro higher taxes

None of it popular with the rich so never presented as policy options because the mega rich control our media and politicians

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

You could quote anything from 100 years ago and say it was “ Stone Age back then “ 

easier said than done all too easy to say get another job when you have retired that is plain insulting to hard working people

What you seem to find difficult is the time  change is happening, it will come but not at your speed , I would go as far as to say in 10 years it will be quite different to today. 

Dare I say that your speed is simply not fast enough, how many trees do we need to plant to replace the Amazon, they are cutting it down to provide THEM with a livelihood, trees take what 15 years to mature enough to clean the air and we cannot plant enough to replace those removed for profit across the globe, deforestation in Africa is leading to rapid growth of deserts where nothing can be grown.

What do you suggest we do about deforestation, let it carry on because it provides profits and jobs and then keep on planting trees knowing that we can never catch up or make a difference.

At the present rate of deforestation large areas of the Amazon will resemble the mid west of the USA in the 20's, a dust bowl. Large parts of eastern Russia will revert to a primeval swamp emitting 1000s of years of stored methane roasting the planet.

So lets all hang onto our jobs and our lifestyles for just a few more years and hope like hell we are dead before our kids curse us for being such greedy, thoughtless ba...ards. 

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

Which implies they aren’t planning or preparing for transitioning. So yes they are procrastinating.

Having said that, assuming they are capable of the required innovation, this isn’t a massive issue. They will have it under control. If they aren’t capable of it, then they are panicking and need to pull the proverbial finger out. It’ll either be kicking or screaming, in a planned manner or get left behind. Their choice.

There is no getting 'left behind' we are all going to be in this, inaction is inexcusable and those who say change will cost too much are simply parroting out what the profit driven polluters are telling them.

As you say planned change now which will be a unpleasent cutailment of our lifestyles or leave our grandchildren to endure a lifetime of unbelievable  traumatic chaos

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes. The throw the baby out with the bath water approach was comprehensively rejected by the Australian voters at the last election.

As I say populist policies are pretty well guaranteed to get you elected, people abhor change, especially change that prevents them doing what they want, but presenting that seems to be weak and lacking in perception and the very opposite of leadership.

At a time when the  world needs leaders who care we have leaders who only care about are how big their  pensions will be and nothing else

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

How is life inside that bubble?  Not all are procrastinating. In fact some countries, such as Japan, have a clear, deliberate and forthright agenda for immediate implementation  Japan will build 22 coal-fired power stations largely proposed on the basis of the availability of high yield coal from NSW, out of Newcastle Port, the world's busiest coal port. That means that Australia also has a delberate and forthright agenda in terms of coal.

Perhaps you thought that we were all preparing for "transitioning" or perhaps we are "procrastinating".  Not so, whatsoever.

At last count there were 32 enormous bulk carriers, largely Asian flagged ships, sitting out to sea, waiting their turn to get into Newcastle port , and into the docks of the Kooragang coal loaders. The Newcastle Port Tug boats work 24 hours per day  because they have to. The demands made by Japan and other countries for Australian Coal will no doubt see coal exports supporting base load power world wide.

"Transitioning"?  "Procrastination"?  Panicking"?  Only such notions are dreamed up within the bubble of the keyboard warrior.

• Like 2

There is no getting 'left behind' we are all going to be in this, inaction is inexcusable and those who say change will cost too much are simply parroting out what the profit driven polluters are telling them.
As you say planned change now which will be a unpleasent cutailment of our lifestyles or leave our grandchildren to endure a lifetime of unbelievable  traumatic chaos

You misunderstand. Those left behind (go under) are those companies that do nothing ti transition. Same with individuals.

yes, everyone who will be around at the time would be affected, should nothing change. Stands reason

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

So why are you not concerned about the job losses in 10 or 20 years from now?  Closing coal mines in 2025, 2045, 2065 or 2085 will lead to lost jobs.  Why kick the can down the road when the scientists are saying to do so will risk catastrophic climate change?

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

What things have you in mind?

4 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

How is life inside that bubble?  Not all are procrastinating. In fact some countries, such as Japan, have a clear, deliberate and forthright agenda for immediate implementation  Japan will build 22 coal-fired power stations largely proposed on the basis of the availability of high yield coal from NSW, out of Newcastle Port, the world's busiest coal port. That means that Australia also has a delberate and forthright agenda in terms of coal.

Perhaps you thought that we were all preparing for "transitioning" or perhaps we are "procrastinating".  Not so, whatsoever.

At last count there were 32 enormous bulk carriers, largely Asian flagged ships, sitting out to sea, waiting their turn to get into Newcastle port , and into the docks of the Kooragang coal loaders. The Newcastle Port Tug boats work 24 hours per day  because they have to. The demands made by Japan and other countries for Australian Coal will no doubt see coal exports supporting base load power world wide.

"Transitioning"?  "Procrastination"?  Panicking"?  Only such notions are dreamed up within the bubble of the keyboard warrior.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/02/21/jp-morgan-warns-end-human-life-leaked-climate-report/

As has been said repeatedly, time is running out, J P Morgan believe it is, this old SJW thinks its time to act when the doyen of neo liberalism starts to talk about extinction of humanity.

Ask yourself does it sound a smart move to lock your economy into a, what, 25 year export deal of a product which may be outlawed in 15 years time.

But there we go, lets just stick with what we know until the economy collapses, planning, forethought and leadership is what Australia needs now to restructure its economic base, Japan is investing in Coal generation because of the disaster with nuclear at Fukishima but Australia should not be so easily captured by easy dollars

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Dare I say that your speed is simply not fast enough, how many trees do we need to plant to replace the Amazon, they are cutting it down to provide THEM with a livelihood, trees take what 15 years to mature enough to clean the air and we cannot plant enough to replace those removed for profit across the globe, deforestation in Africa is leading to rapid growth of deserts where nothing can be grown.

What do you suggest we do about deforestation, let it carry on because it provides profits and jobs and then keep on planting trees knowing that we can never catch up or make a difference.

At the present rate of deforestation large areas of the Amazon will resemble the mid west of the USA in the 20's, a dust bowl. Large parts of eastern Russia will revert to a primeval swamp emitting 1000s of years of stored methane roasting the planet.

So lets all hang onto our jobs and our lifestyles for just a few more years and hope like hell we are dead before our kids curse us for being such greedy, thoughtless ba...ards. 

You haven’t been following the topic , I am the only poster who has said many times about protecting the environment, stop cutting the trees down , start planting more , use recycled materials more 

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So why are you not concerned about the job losses in 10 or 20 years from now?  Closing coal mines in 2025, 2045, 2065 or 2085 will lead to lost jobs.  Why kick the can down the road when the scientists are saying to do so will risk catastrophic climate change?

All very easy for  you to say in your retirement and from behind a keyboard. 

I can clearly remember Thatcher closing all heavy industry in the north with no plan on what to do with workforce, to this day some communities have never recovered.

18 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I see winters arrived there BTW.

Where ? 

If you are referring to the north and a bit of snow - yes .

As I keep repeating , what used to fall as 6 months of snow - then freeze - then thaw , is now falling as rain .

As of today in solihull - no days below zero this winter , I cant think of any nights either this winter ,no snow , no ice ,daytime  temps between 6c - 12c .

It's now just wet .

Flooding in norton canes ,Shrewsbury,  herefordshire and many other parts .

But winter the way it used to be - no .

Premiership footballers playing in short sleeves over the weekend .

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

9 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Where ? 

If you are referring to the north and a bit of snow - yes .

As I keep repeating , what used to fall as 6 months of snow - then freeze - then thaw , is now falling as rain .

As of today in solihull - no days below zero this winter , I cant think of any nights either this winter ,no snow , no ice ,daytime  temps between 6c - 12c .

It's now just wet .

Flooding in norton canes ,Shrewsbury,  herefordshire and many other parts .

But winter the way it used to be - no .

Premiership footballers playing in short sleeves over the weekend .

Speaking with family in N wales had a bit of snow also very cold down to 2-3* 

actually snowing now in my home town 

we never had 6 months of snow , might have a very small amount ore dec always the largest falls were end jan to feb with it sometimes hanging about ( rare ) to beginning of April 

I used to fish in a few winter league competitions the Severn was always flooding in winter around Shrewsbury along with many stretch’s of the Dee, farndon / Chester areas 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 2