You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

The UK and Climate Change

Lightning Ridge is a wild west town in NSW (one of many tbh). Its largely populated by opal miners.The Ridge has a great public swimming pool facility with 40 degrees C geo-thermal water all year round. It sits at the southern end of the Artesian Basin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's a physics law "energy cannot be created or destroyed" or something like that. Means basically you can't get something for no input.

Whatever heating source you use there has to be energy used to heat whatever you use. 

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's a physics law "energy cannot be created or destroyed" or something like that. Means basically you can't get something for no input.

Whatever heating source you use there has to be energy used to heat whatever you use. 

The problem is user expectations.

The heat pumps with a air source or ground source require compression pumps and refrigeration chemicals so not as environmentally friendly as people make out.

The consumer wants instant heat on demand and these units simply cannot provide it.  If a user gets up in the morning and turn the thermostat up to 25 degrees the pumps go into overdrive using lots of electricity which the defeats the object.

Maybe in the future but right now the technology is way off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, simmo said:

The problem is user expectations.

The heat pumps with a air source or ground source require compression pumps and refrigeration chemicals so not as environmentally friendly as people make out.

The consumer wants instant heat on demand and these units simply cannot provide it.  If a user gets up in the morning and turn the thermostat up to 25 degrees the pumps go into overdrive using lots of electricity which the defeats the object.

Maybe in the future but right now the technology is way off.

Gas is the answer.

I want it all, and I want it now.

33 minutes ago, Parley said:

Gas is the answer.

That's what they are trying to replace parley. I'll see you after class.

3 hours ago, simmo said:

And these are the future , no hope what so ever. 

• Like 3

A man whose name is Storm Denniss is being menaced by online trolls asking him not to wreak havoc on their homes and gardens over the weekend.

Mr Denniss claims he has been receiving "random messages" from strangers online since the Met Office predicted a 1,200-mile wide storm of the same name to hit the region over the coming days.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/weather/yorkshire-man-called-storm-denniss-hits-out-at-online-trolls-begging-him-not-ruin-their-homes-this-weekend-1-10256751

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, simmo said:

Disgraceful behaviour.

Unbelievable 

Just been reading about Renault electric van , not getting good press, you have to lease batteries only 50 miles on a charge ( claimed 130) 24 month lease is £18500 to buy out right just under 30k and you don’t own batteries 

cant see it taking off some how

24 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Just been reading about Renault electric van , not getting good press, you have to lease batteries only 50 miles on a charge ( claimed 130) 24 month lease is £18500 to buy out right just under 30k and you don’t own batteries 

cant see it taking off some how

https://www.vansdirect.co.uk/four-best-electric-vans-market

Renault van designed for city centre deliveries zero pollution

Hope you survived storm Dennis   .....................  the UK seems to be getting milder but wetter.

storm dennis1.jpg

I see the British Government and Boris is getting blamed for the flooding. People expressing anger at the government.

Bit like blaming ScottMorrison here for the bushfires.

See the media said the met office called it a "bomb tornado" or something similar. Did they or did the media just make that name up?

My wife spoke to a friend of hers in the UK a couple of days ago, she's a drama queen and said how bad the weather was and she was so worried about my wife's Dad, who lives near her.

My wife rang her Dad after and he said he was fine and it wasn't out of the ordinary where he lives for this time of year.

• Like 1

It is snowing near my old home town, can't say im surprised as its near hubbys birthday and i remember quite a lot of years where the snow has come down in February. 

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I see the British Government and Boris is getting blamed for the flooding. People expressing anger at the government.

Bit like blaming ScottMorrison here for the bushfires.

See the media said the met office called it a "bomb tornado" or something similar. Did they or did the media just make that name up?

My wife spoke to a friend of hers in the UK a couple of days ago, she's a drama queen and said how bad the weather was and she was so worried about my wife's Dad, who lives near her.

My wife rang her Dad after and he said he was fine and it wasn't out of the ordinary where he lives for this time of year.

Honestly - tornado bomb 😄

To be honest , didnt see that much rain coming 

South wales - worcs and herefordshire 

It was windy , with heavy rain for 3 days - very mild for the time of year

What we should be getting as snow , we are getting as rain .

How the hell can you blame boris johnson ? 

They are building flood defences - some are not high enough ,and some are not finished .

Fires and floods are something we will all have to get used to 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

4 hours ago, calNgary said:

It is snowing near my old home town, can't say im surprised as its near hubbys birthday and i remember quite a lot of years where the snow has come down in February. 

Cal x

There is obvious evidence in your post which counter the notion of climate change. But I am  am not going to ruin it other than to say... Happy memories. How wonderful. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

31 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

There is obvious evidence in your post which counter the notion of climate change. But I am  am not going to ruin it other than to say... Happy memories. How wonderful. 

The difference dusty in the u.k , like everywhere else ,I should imagine , is huge .

Iam not getting into the climate change / global warming debate .

But in the u.k , Iam old enough to remember sub zero temps from November- march and sometimes beyond .

Remember the days of 6 ft snow drifts outside your house 

That just doesn't happen now 

We used to get snow, that would freeze , and then slowly thaw , filling the rivers with water , over a period of time .

Over the last 20 years , that snow is mainly falling as rain .

Yes ,the m1 in derbyshire had 2 inches of snow the other week , over a period of a couple of hours .

And iam sure the north and scotland has had a bit .

But , how many scottish and english premiership games have been called off due to the weather ?

Players in england were playing in short sleeves over winter .

Speaking for the west mids ,As I have stated previously , we dont get many of those biting winds now either 

Other than the recent couple of days of rain - it's been pleasant .

And for someone who hates the winters of old , that will do me .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Near where I live we used to suffer flooding on a regular basis.......the Thames was always flooding in Maidenhead.....this is going back 20, 30 or more years,  the Jubilee river was constructed in 2002, at the time I think it was one of the biggest projects in Europe.....railway bridges where being removed and refitted etc.....its made a huge difference to our area.....Maidenhead never floods now.....they just get it about 10 miles further down in Runnymeade instead.....the point is.....flooding has always been a problem and flood defences are always being upgraded.....no doubt we are suffering more flooding in parts of the country but its not cheap.....nor easy to fix this problem......its going to be an ongoing issue for years to come.

• Like 1

Testing, testing.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

33 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

Near where I live we used to suffer flooding on a regular basis.......the Thames was always flooding in Maidenhead.....this is going back 20, 30 or more years,  the Jubilee river was constructed in 2002, at the time I think it was one of the biggest projects in Europe.....railway bridges where being removed and refitted etc.....its made a huge difference to our area.....Maidenhead never floods now.....they just get it about 10 miles further down in Runnymeade instead.....the point is.....flooding has always been a problem and flood defences are always being upgraded.....no doubt we are suffering more flooding in parts of the country but its not cheap.....nor easy to fix this problem......its going to be an ongoing issue for years to come.

Heavy prolonged rainfall and low lying areas particularly close to rivers will always be prone to flooding no matter what's done to try and prevent it.

Honestly - tornado bomb
To be honest , didnt see that much rain coming 
South wales - worcs and herefordshire 
It was windy , with heavy rain for 3 days - very mild for the time of year
What we should be getting as snow , we are getting as rain .
How the hell can you blame boris johnson ? 
They are building flood defences - some are not high enough ,and some are not finished .
Fires and floods are something we will all have to get used to 

Yes we will have to get used to regular flood and rain and severe fire - it will only escalate

40 minutes ago, Toots said:

Heavy prolonged rainfall and low lying areas particularly close to rivers will always be prone to flooding no matter what's done to try and prevent it.

And the building projects that are still being built on flood plains .

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

17 hours ago, ssiri said:

Yes we will have to get used to regular flood and rain and severe fire - it will only escalate

Not convinced of it yet. It's been a bad year here for fires and bad in the UK for floods. But I still don't buy that we will "have to get used to it". Mind you I've always been an optimist.

We have been lucky as it's been a typical summer here. Pretty normal really. Good news in the last couple of weeks for the heavy rain thay've had in drought stricken areas.