Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Looking for advice or suggestions for Canadians wanting to live in Australia

Recommended Posts

Hello! I'm new to this site, but it was just passed on to me as a place to find information about moving to Aus from Canada. There's tons of information out there but it's hard to figure out what applies and where to start. My partner and I are hoping to move to Australia for a couple of years to work and live in a new country, but have no idea what visa's we'd be eligible for or what the process involves. I'd love any advice or tips if anyone is able to provide some!

Some info about us: 

  • We're 26 and 27 years old, born and raised Canadians
  • He is an elementary school teacher and has two Bachelors Degrees, one in Education and one in Business - he's been working as a teacher for about 2 years, and has 2 years of Business-related work experience
  • I have a Bachelor of Science degree and have been working in the field of sustainability/environment for about 5 years. 
  • We're not married (not sure if this may affect whether we can add each other as a partner on our visa or not) 

Not sure if there's anything else that may be useful, but thank you to anyone who may be able to help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your best plan is to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which is very easy and quick to get compared to any other visa.  You can simply apply independently and each get your own visa.

That will give you a full year in Australia.   Many people think the WHV is just for people who want to do casual work and travel, but it's perfectly possible to get a normal job in your usual profession.  The only limitation is that you can't work for more than six months with the same employer.   So you could do two six-month contracts. 

Being in Australia will give you the chance to make contact with employers and you may then be able to get an employer-sponsored visa to stay for another 2 to 4 years.  However to be eligible for that visa, one of you must have an occupation that's on the skilled lists, so you would need to check if that's the case. 

(By the way, if you do 3 months of farm work in your first year on the WHV, you get to stay for another full year - but it's hard manual labour so you have to decide whether it's worth it) 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very hard to get visa in Aus other than a working holiday. Especially with minimal experience.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now