Resident Return Visa - 1 Year (155)

Paul Trowel

Hi all,

I would massively appreciate some assistance please.

My plan is to enter Australia around 3 months before my current PR (186) expires, in 2022.  I will NOT have accumulated the 2 out the previous 5 years to automatically get a 5 year RRV when my current 186 expires, therefore I will need to apply for the 1 year RRV.

I know that I have the right to remain on my current 186 after the current travel facility on my 186 expires (i.e., they won't kick me out), but if anyone can explain how difficult/easy it is to get the 1 year RRV after this point it would be massively appreciated.  Immigration say I need substantial ties, is this as simple as being in full time employment with a big friendship group?

Many thanks,

Paul

What do you need the RRV for? 

There is no rule that says you have to apply for the RRV immediately it runs out.  Wait until shortly before you want to use the RRV and apply then.  If that's, say, nine months after you arrive in Australia, then by that time you'll have an established home and a job and are obviously settled, which would give you a strong case.

Many people do need the ability to travel either for work or family. I certainly made my son apply before his travel rights expired even though he winced at the fee! His grandfather in the UK is frail and he sometimes needs to travel for work.  Also applications for those without the 2 years were taking over 3 months to process recently. And who knows when the might change the rules.

Strong ties would be a rental agreement or property, job, volunteer work, family, bank accounts, kids in school, community groups etc. friendship groups not so much as the ties should be of benefit to Australia 

I would apply as soon as you have enough evidence.

3 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Many people do need the ability to travel either for work or family. ...

Strong ties would be a rental agreement or property, job, volunteer work, family, bank accounts, kids in school, community groups etc. friendship groups not so much as the ties should be of benefit to Australia 

I would apply as soon as you have enough evidence.

Sorry, I guess that's what I was saying.   If he waits a few months until he's got all that stuff in place, he'll be in a much better position than if he applies as soon as the travel facility expires. 

Thanks guys, you make good points. 

It's just a case of understanding our options. It's basically a question of 'how easy is it to get a 1 year rrv when applying onshore', we wouldn't want to go back knowing we couldn't leave the country for 2 years (when eligible for a new 5 year rrv). 

We have had some trouble in England, hence the questions. We could let our travel facility expire in England and then hope they give us an 1 year rrv when applying from UK, but too much of a risk. 

Best to go back, build some ties, then get the 1 year rrv should we need it. 

I was in a similar situation, arriving with just days left on my first Permanent Residence Visa. I arrived November and applied for an RRV the following June. My substantial ties was a job, I explained that although I didn't expect to have to travel any time soon I may need to (My father wasn't very well at the time). They issued a 1 year RRV a few days later. It wasn't immediate though, and I did send an email to ask if they needed anything else, it was issued a few hours later.

After reaching the 2 years, I applied for another RRV, which was issued immediately for 5 years.

In both instances this was onshore.

I'm now in the process of applying for citizenship 🙂

Edited by elderberry