Need Help with Partners Visa

kevrani

Hi Friends,

I need your help with what visa to apply for my partner. I am an Australian citizen and she is Nepalese. We first met in 2014 in Sydney where we studied together. She went back home in 2016 as her visa expired and she couldn't complete her points. We have been to Thailand tour in 2018 and I visited Nepal early last year where we got engaged. 

We have loads of pictures and conversations together since the time we met. Unfortunately, when she was here we do not have any shared expenses like House rent and bills as she stayed with her cousins.

We plan to get married this December in Nepal and I want her to be with me in my return back to Sydney. A few options that I could think of are as follows:

1) Apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa and do a court marriage within the 9 month time period. However, I am unsure if she would get her visa by this December when we plan to marry in Nepal..

2) Marry in December and she travels with me here on Tourist Visa. Once she is here we do a court marriage and apply for Partner visa so she can go into Bridging and continue staying here..

I am just confused and would appreciate some help. Thank You!

If you get married in Nepal and this marriage is valid under Australian law, then this is the marriage that counts. The PMV is really intended for couples that intend to marry in Australia, although this is not a requirement. I suggest you consult an agent to help you understand the way the various options work in theory and in practice.