Another 'Where to Live' question

FirstWorldProblems

Whilst our move back to Australia is still 4 years away, it's nice to have something to look forward to, and I really enjoy planning, so I've recently started putting some time into researching for this next phase of our lives.

I am a Brit with an Australian wife and, 2 kids aged 15 & 12 who have dual citizenship.  We've been living in south Warwickshire since 2002 (previously living in Drummoyne & Five Dock), visiting the wife's family every year and maintaining our links to Sydney.  For a few years now my 15 year old has (independent of any influence from us) planned on going to university in Sydney and living with his grandmother in the Castle Hill area.  So unless he gets loved-up in the meantime, he'll be getting on a plane in 2023 without us.  The year after that, our daughter would finish her GCSE's and so the window to relocate would open to us in 2024.  

Despite being rather hopeless at it, I really enjoy my hobby of middle distance triathlon and marathon running, so when considering the question of where to base ourselves, this is top of mind for me.  I want to be able to go for runs from my front door that are pleasant (not on busy roads and perhaps even offer trail options).  I'm amenable to throwing the bike in the back of the car and driving to the start of quiet roads for a 2-3 hour ride - but of course, it would be better if I didn't have to do that and could ride from the house.  Swimming is no issue - there are so many 50m pools all over greater sydney and it's easy enough to get to a beach twice a month from anywhere.

For proximity to family, we'd want to be north or north west of the CBD, since they are broadly spread out over the hills district and down to North Ryde.  We don't intend to live in each others pockets, but if the journey time is over say, 45 minutes, it becomes a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure.

I have a vague notion that somewhere on the south border of Dural would be a good fit. Perhaps a suburb like Cherrybrook, which I don't know well at all, but looks nice online and would fit our affordability.  I'd love to hear input from anyone who gets out running and cycling regularly

To complicate things, there's also a chance of an upswing in our financial circumstance between now and 2024 and it's always been a dream to have a home with water views.  Were we to be fortunate enough for that to happen, I would be clueless as to where to search for somewhere that would have places to run and ride away from busy roads.  We certainly couldn't afford to live directly on the water, but somewhere several streets away such as the hills in Clontarf (a place we enjoy visiting but know nothing about) could be an option.

It's a (potentially) high class problem I know, but any tips or ideas would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Well four years off makes this really hard to answer - as a LOT can change in four years.

You only have to look at the excessive and insane number of units built in Hornsby and Asquith since 2015, and the place has totally changed 1000 % (for the worst)

Since Dural is classed as rural, I doubt the same thing will occur, so you should be safe. 

If you want bush running or bike riding, and living with water views, then maybe best to look around the Manly Dam or Nareebeen lakes area.

Ask me again in 3.5 years!

🙂

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I know it's a bit daft trying to plan so far ahead.  It's the way I am wired I suppose (need to feel in control) - but it's fun for me too.

More practically though, we are going to be visiting the family there in April for 3 weeks and again for Christmas, so we have the opportunity to go and explore a few suburbs and I'd like to get a shortlist prepared.  Given that house prices appear to be on the bounce and the rental market is still strong, it might be worth us buying in advance of the move and renting it out.

There's lots of running routes around Sydney. Maybe follow some of the runners on Strava and see where they run?

Try these lot:

Look for Sydney Striders (running team)

Sydney Harbour Runners

and maybe runners Like Thomas do Canto, Ben St Lawrence, 

People always run around the 'bay run' and all around the harbour, there's lots of trails in the north in the bush and also in the blue mountains. Lots of options

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Roberto said:

I reckon you'll find plenty out here. The only small drawback for me personally is that a lot of stuff starts a bit early, like meeting at 5;30 aam - I like to be asleep then!

If you're moving to Sydney, you have to get used to that because in summer, it gets hot pretty early in the day and it doesn't cool down in the evening much (unless there's a thunderstorm), so early morning is the only chance to exercise outdoors.  Golfers do the same.

Captain Roberto, Thanks for this. I will definitely check those out.  I've had a quick scan and it looks like exactly my type of thing.  In fact I'm going to ask if I can run with them when I'm out in April as I'm going to be near the end of marathon training prep and long runs when your body isn't used to the warmer weather is something I find challenging.

Thanks again.

Edited by FirstWorldProblems

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you're moving to Sydney, you have to get used to that because in summer, it gets hot pretty early in the day and it doesn't cool down in the evening much (unless there's a thunderstorm), so early morning is the only chance to exercise outdoors.  Golfers do the same.

Well as I get older, I seem to sleep less, so whether I like it or not I don't think it will be a problem.

I remember when I lived there in the early 2000's, I'd get up early to go the gym before work. My apt was right on Iron Cove bridge and I would see people already kayaking in the bay at 6am and running the bay run.  I wasn't into cardio back then and thought they were nutters 🙂

41 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Well as I get older, I seem to sleep less, so whether I like it or not I don't think it will be a problem.

I remember when I lived there in the early 2000's, I'd get up early to go the gym before work. My apt was right on Iron Cove bridge and I would see people already kayaking in the bay at 6am and running the bay run.  I wasn't into cardio back then and thought they were nutters 🙂

ha ha! well the bay run is always there so easy loops if you are in that area. Many runners run all around the harbour. I am a little bit on and off myself> when I was full time employed it was quite easy to run around Pyrmont or Mrs Maquaries chair at lunchtime, but now I am self-employed it's harder to get as many opportunities to train often enough.

Normally the six-foot track marathon is on on March, but as it's in the Blue Mountains it might happen this year as it's just too dangerous and smoky and the parks are often closed now 😞  - https://www.sixfoot.com/

• 11 months later...
On 08/01/2020 at 20:13, FirstWorldProblems said:

I wasn't into cardio back then and thought they were nutters 🙂

I still think they are nutters; but I admire them greatly. Sydney in summer makes you want to get up early and exercise. It is just so beautiful and serene. For a while there, I was even going down to the beach at sunrise for a swim and some yoga before work. No way I would have attempted early morning exercise in London. Back in August, I did a clifftop walk before work and watched a humpback whale frolicking and breaching very close to the shore. Experiences like that make me want to exercise more.  

• Like 1