Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Silver_Swan

Furnished rentals for 3 months Sydney

Recommended Posts

Hey,

We're heading to Sydney and will need somewhere furnished to stay while waiting for our container to arrive, which should be about 3 months.

What do people do? Staying in an AirBnB for 3 months seems like a lot of money, but most rentals have a 6-month minimum...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google for executive rentals. Look at staying further out away from the tourist areas. Consider shipping your container earlier and “camping” in your current home or stay with relatives 

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Google for executive rentals. Look at staying further out away from the tourist areas. Consider shipping your container earlier and “camping” in your current home or stay with relatives 

Thanks will check out executive rentals. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which way you look at it) we're being sponsored and they want us out there as soon as visa is approved, so no option to stay with relatives this end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver_Swan said:

Thanks will check out executive rentals. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which way you look at it) we're being sponsored and they want us out there as soon as visa is approved, so no option to stay with relatives this end.

In that case they should be paying for the temp accommodation 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In that case they should be paying for the temp accommodation 

They are giving us a lump sum towards relocation costs but that will just about cover container and flights, not accommodation as well. I’m happy to pay for it though - as we’d be paying accommodation in the UK regardless, but AirBnB works out crazy expensive for 2-3 months 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silver_Swan said:

They are giving us a lump sum towards relocation costs but that will just about cover container and flights, not accommodation as well. I’m happy to pay for it though - as we’d be paying accommodation in the UK regardless, but AirBnB works out crazy expensive for 2-3 months 😬

You can negotiate a cheaper rate with a host for a long stay.

Have a look at stayz.com.au too or even gumtree.

Also you could get a place sooner and just rent furniture until your stuff arrives or buy 2nd hand stuff cheaply on fb/gumtree with a view to re-selling it.

Edited by Collie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Silver_Swan said:

 AirBnB works out crazy expensive for 2-3 months 😬

Like Collie says, negotiate.  

Another thing to consider:  if they're just paying you an allowance, could you rethink the container idea?   Perhaps ship a large Movecube instead, and leave the big furniture behind?   

For instance, if you don't ship the beds and bedlinen, then you can buy new beds as soon as you find a home in Australia and at least you'll have somewhere to sleep.  Beds are a different size in Australia anyway, so if you do bring your beds and end up getting PR, you'll be in for a lifetime of sheets that don't quite fit!  

You'll probably want to buy an outdoor table and chairs anyway, so buy that and use it as your dining table for the short term. And it's surprising how well you can manage in the kitchen with just a few cheap pans and a cheap dinner set from Aldi.   In other words, treat it like camping.  


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Like Collie says, negotiate.  

Another thing to consider:  if they're just paying you an allowance, could you rethink the container idea?   Perhaps ship a large Movecube instead, and leave the big furniture behind?   

For instance, if you don't ship the beds and bedlinen, then you can buy new beds as soon as you find a home in Australia and at least you'll have somewhere to sleep.  Beds are a different size in Australia anyway, so if you do bring your beds and end up getting PR, you'll be in for a lifetime of sheets that don't quite fit!  

You'll probably want to buy an outdoor table and chairs anyway, so buy that and use it as your dining table for the short term. And it's surprising how well you can manage in the kitchen with just a few cheap pans and a cheap dinner set from Aldi.   In other words, treat it like camping.  

We considered it, but to be honest it's just so expensive to start from scratch again. We have some really nice, and pretty expensive furniture already which it seems silly to get rid of. And weirdly our bed sheets are already from an Aussie brand - they are about 2cm different, we don't notice at all!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there

I have sent you a PM with a suggestion of a decent place.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2019 at 10:40, Silver_Swan said:

We considered it, but to be honest it's just so expensive to start from scratch again. We have some really nice, and pretty expensive furniture already which it seems silly to get rid of. And weirdly our bed sheets are already from an Aussie brand - they are about 2cm different, we don't notice at all!

 

 

@Silver_Swan, this may have already occurred to you, but the other solution is to send your container off a couple of months before you fly.   Then you only need about a month in an AirBnB in Sydney (which you'll need anyway to give you time to find a long-term rental).  

That often works better, because you can manage to 'camp" in your home in the UK by keeping back old cutlery, crockery, pots, pans, camp beds etc that you can just throw away or take to the charity shop before you go. Or borrow stuff from family. 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@Silver_Swan, this may have already occurred to you, but the other solution is to send your container off a couple of months before you fly.   Then you only need about a month in an AirBnB in Sydney (which you'll need anyway to give you time to find a long-term rental).  

That often works better, because you can manage to 'camp" in your home in the UK by keeping back old cutlery, crockery, pots, pans, camp beds etc that you can just throw away or take to the charity shop before you go. Or borrow stuff from family. 

Unfortunately we don’t have that luxury, the shipping container will be going as soon as the visa is approved (can’t go before) and they would like my husband to start work straight away! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did this back in 2001 I rented a serviced apartment for a couple weeks whilst searching for a longer term rental. When I moved in there I rented furniture until my container arrived. 
 

it was great. Quality was just fine and it all worked smoothly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Silver_Swan said:

Unfortunately we don’t have that luxury, the shipping container will be going as soon as the visa is approved (can’t go before) and they would like my husband to start work straight away! 

A bit like your "where to live query", you won't get everything absolutely perfectly as you want it and need to compromise on something.

Several possible solutions have been suggested to you based on other people's experiences.

It's either wear the cost of a serviced apt/holiday let until your stuff arrives (10-12 weeks) and you've a place or rent furniture or buy cheap stuff 2nd hand temporarily.

When I returned in 2011, I initially stayed with a friend before finding my own place and renting the basics until my own stuff arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Collie said:

A bit like your "where to live query", you won't get everything absolutely perfectly as you want it and need to compromise on something.

Several possible solutions have been suggested to you based on other people's experiences.

It's either wear the cost of a serviced apt/holiday let until your stuff arrives (10-12 weeks) and you've a place or rent furniture or buy cheap stuff 2nd hand temporarily.

When I returned in 2011, I initially stayed with a friend before finding my own place and renting the basics until my own stuff arrived.

Yeah we’ve not found a huge choice in serviced apartments so I think we’ve decided we’re going to try and secure our rental pretty much straight away and just get the absolute basics we need until our container arrives - hopefully it doesn’t take 6 months 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The choice is either suck it up and pay for furnished for 3 months, or rent somewhere sooner and live in a half empty house.  You might find it cheaper to buy an Ikea sofa, outdoor dining set and live with that for 2 months.

  • Like 1

PR (100) Plans on hold but moving to Perth eventually!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone said you can rent furniture, either just a sofa to a whole house pack (including kitchen equipment, cutlery etc.  much like renting a furnished place but seperate contracts!  We did just this until our stuff arrived, worked out cheaper than furnished accommodation too.  We actually mixed it and bought some stuff we knew we would still need after our container arrived and just picked from a list what we wanted to rent.  Worked really well and better than camping!


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said you can rent furniture, however you can also buy cheap furniture packages to tide you over, when you stuff has arrived you could then sell them on Gumtree or Facebook marketplace. I dont know what stores are in the area you are looking at but this is a link to a store ive known a few familys use for this exact purpose, so should give yo an idea of what i mean and the costs involved. (the furniture quality i believe is similar to IKEA)

https://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/Categories/Package-Deals/Living-Packages/c/Living Packages

Lots of luck with the move

   Cal x


If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

As someone said you can rent furniture, either just a sofa to a whole house pack (including kitchen equipment, cutlery etc.  much like renting a furnished place but seperate contracts!  We did just this until our stuff arrived, worked out cheaper than furnished accommodation too.  We actually mixed it and bought some stuff we knew we would still need after our container arrived and just picked from a list what we wanted to rent.  Worked really well and better than camping!

Thank You rammygirl, I never knew this type of service existed !

I've just goggled a rental company, checked prices and items, perfect for when we move back later this year.

Great information and thank you for posting 😊


Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning to Australia August 2020.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×