489 or 190

Aarti L

Hi all,

I am about to lodge my eoi and I only have 80 points, which means i wont be able to get the 189. I really want to move to Queensland but they are not sponsoring the 190 visa at the moment. I just wanted some advice... is it better to get a 489 visa and live in regional QLD and then apply for the 887 for PR. or would it be better to go for 190 for another state e.g. NSW so I have the PR?

Thank you for your help

14 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

FYI - The 489 visa has now finsibed and has been replaced by the 491 visa. You cannot apply for the 489 anymore.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-work-regional-provisional-491

Oh right... thank you.. but when I look online 489 is still coming up. Where can I get the info about which visas are still valid. Thanks

Ok so the way I'm understanding this now... the new 491 visa is a provisional visa - you stay and work for 3 years in the region and then apply for permanent residency under the 191 visa. With the 191 visa, do we know yet if you have to stay in that region or can move after that? 

3 hours ago, Aarti L said:

Ok so the way I'm understanding this now... the new 491 visa is a provisional visa - you stay and work for 3 years in the region and then apply for permanent residency under the 191 visa. With the 191 visa, do we know yet if you have to stay in that region or can move after that? 

You can move 

52 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Does anybody know when you need to enter Australia to activate the 190 visa if granted. Think it might be 12 months.

They will give you an enter by date - this isn't 12 months from the date of grant, but usually 12 months from the date of police check/medical (whichever was the earliest.  EG Police check in January 2020, visa granted August 2020 - you (usually) will be an enter by Jan 2021 (5 months in this example).  This is why it isn't usually recommended to front load medicals or police checks if there's a long wait.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Does anybody know when you need to enter Australia to activate the 190 visa if granted. Think it might be 12 months.

Usually twelve months from the date on your medical or police check whichever is earliest. Not 12 months from grant. This is the reason advice is generally to wait until requested to do them

beat me to it Ali !

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Usually twelve months from the date on your medical or police check whichever is earliest. Not 12 months from grant. This is the reason advice is generally to wait until requested to do them

beat me to it Ali !

In our case it was a year from the grant, but then again our police checks and medicals were all done about 3 weeks before the grant so no real practicable difference in reality

16 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

In our case it was a year from the grant, but then again our police checks and medicals were all done about 3 weeks before the grant so no real practicable difference in reality

Mine where 12 months from the medical. However someone I know who was granted after me had first entry 12 months from grant. 

1 hour ago, GB537 said:

I had my 489 granted in November, my entry date is 12 months from the visa grant date. Not sure if it would be different for different visa types?

Think it depends on the person processing the case and the distance in time between meds and grant.

If they are close it doesn't really matter, if they are 11 months apart I can see why they'd want you to come in bass in your med clearance as a year is a long time medically