register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Joyssosimple

Potential move to Toowoomba

Hello all

I have read the previous forum discussions about life in Toowoomba with some interest as there is the opportunity for my husband to apply for a job in Toowoomba. We are a family of four with two kids aged 11 & 4. Some of the form discussions about life in Toowoomba are a few years old so I was hoping to get an updated view on how life is in Toowoomba especially related to education, opportunities for children, crime, weather and good areas to live in.  We are in Scotland and if all goes through then we might be looking at a move in about 6 months or so. 

Thanks. 

Never lived there myself but my SIL's mother has lived there most of her life and loves it. Bear in mind it is more country living, not a big place- I believe there are a lot of nice parks there.

1 hour ago, Joyssosimple said:

Hello all

I have read the previous forum discussions about life in Toowoomba with some interest as there is the opportunity for my husband to apply for a job in Toowoomba. We are a family of four with two kids aged 11 & 4. Some of the form discussions about life in Toowoomba are a few years old so I was hoping to get an updated view on how life is in Toowoomba especially related to education, opportunities for children, crime, weather and good areas to live in.  We are in Scotland and if all goes through then we might be looking at a move in about 6 months or so. 

Do you have a visa which allows you to live in Australia?

If not, then the employer will have to apply to sponsor your husband for a temporary visa.  It will be for either 2 or 4 years, and then you MIGHT, if you are lucky, be able to apply to get a permanent visa.  But there is no guarantee you'll be eligible to apply, and if you can apply, there is no guarantee you'll be successful. 

I mention this because there's a widespread myth that if you can get an employer-sponsored visa, it gives you a good chance of migrating to Australia permanently. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Thank you @starlight7 @Marisawright for replying. Visa hopefully should not be an issue as the company will be sponsoring us. 
 At the moment our concern is how it will be for our preteen son. I read in another forum that there isn’t much for teenagers to do and that is what is giving me some cause for worry . My son is a sensitive boy and doesn’t mix that easily. I worry that he might be the one who finds it the most difficult to adjust. The post I read was written by a teenager hence the worry that my son would struggle the most if there’s not much to do. Especially as we are coming from Glasgow which is more than 3times bigger in population than Toowoomba. 

Hopefully forum users from Toowoomba will be able to give me a better idea of the lifestyle and options for teenagers. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

In that case the visa will not be a problem BUT it will only be temporary for 2 to 4 years. 

The employer is under no obligation to sponsor you for a permanent visa even if they are saying they will. That promise has no legal standing.

Also the rules change almost every year and many people find they’re no longer eligible by the time they’re eligible to apply, and there’s nothing the employer can do about that.

An employer-sponsored visa can be the opportunity for a great adventure but you should assume you’ll go home at the end, and plan accordingly. Then if you can apply for the permanent visa, it’s a bonus

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Toowoomba is a rapidly growing city and is the second biggest inland city in Australia (after Canberra). Nearly 150,000 people now call it home. It has some of the best schools in Queensland (children come from far and wide to live there), has a HUGE shopping centre, lovely parks and is only about an hour and a half to Brisbane. It can get VERY cold and foggy in the winter and VERY hot in the summer (being inland and high up). Crime rate is about average for Queensland which seems to be rising everywhere to be honest.

Rangeville is a nice suburb as is South Toowoomba. Consider Westbrook and Mount Lofty also. Avoid Wilsonton and Newtown if you can.

5 minutes ago, aja675 said:

BTW, why does Homely hate the hell out of this place? https://www.homely.com.au/toowoomba-city-toowoomba-darling-downs-queensland

Some people are at their happiest when they are whinging and whining.  I've never lived there but I've visited a couple of times and as far as big country towns in Australia go, it's not a bad place at all.  If you are a big city type of person and enjoy all the stuff that big cities give you then Toowoomba is not the place for you.  It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.