Motor vehicle mechanic - What are my chances?

Luck2luke

Let me explain where I am right now.. I completed my nvq level 2 apprenticeship from 2011-2013, travelled to aus on a gap year and returned to complete nvq level 3 (2014-2016). Since then ive been out of the motor trade for 3 years (still doing jobs in my own time but no paper trail) until recently ive got a job as a motor parts advisor. 

What are my chances of getting granted a visa? Even though im time served & qualified I feel like the gap in my resume wont do me any favours. If theres any chance ill risk the funds cause this is the dream.

Any insight would be appreciated. 

4 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

At the moment, I can't see how you will pass the skills assessment as you need to show two years post qualification experience in order to pass the skills assessment. 

This is what ive been trying to find out but there seems to be no information anywhere. I did read that you need a minimum of 1 year experience but it said you could count apprenticeship time, is this not true then? 

Even the TRA website doesnt show the requirements 

• 3 weeks later...

My partner did his skill assessments a couple of months back. The time frame that it took my partner was probably just over a year since we applied to the TRA before getting his graduate visa. He did have to prove to TRA he had done hours in his occupation before we got our graduate visa granted. TRA are notoriously slow in processing anything. The skilled assessment is broken into 4 parts. Some of the things I do remember for the skill assessments is that there is a log book that he had to fill out and it gets signed off by your work manager. One of the last part of the assessment is actually getting an assessor out to visit you at your workplace to assess your skills. In order to get that is to prove you have worked there for a year or fill out a number of hours. Once it has been processed by the TRA, you will get the assessor come and visit the workplace and ask you questions whilst you are completing a job. The last part is probably just actually passing it and paying for the last fee. After that you can lodge your EOI for PR providing you have met all other criteria. I hope this sort of helps!