zara2009

Parramatta

Hi everybody! 

Is Parramatta a regional city in NSW or it is one of the Sydney's suburbs? 

It has it's own CBD etc but is only 15 km west of Sydney CBD and would be considered part of Sydney.

• Thanks 1

I work there which takes about 30-35 minutes on the train from Central station in Sydney. Parramatta is undergoing massive redevelopment at the moment. It is just about the "true" geographical centre of Sydney being, I think, about the same distance west to Penrith as it is east to Sydney CBD and the Blue Mountains trains stop there which makes Penrith a quicker journey than on the normal western line trains.

• Like 1

It's meant to be both, if you are thinking about big picture long term strategic development... The current government strategy for Sydney divides it into "three cities" - essentially an eastern one that includes the city centre, north south, east and Inner West, with the traditional Sydney city centre as its main centre, and a second one that includes the western suburbs beyond the Inner West, with Parramatta as its main centre. There's a third one further out west, focussed around the future airport development. So Parramatta is meant to be its own regional centre within the Sydney region - with its own concentration of jobs and a high rise CBD, etc.

• Thanks 1

I imagine the question was more around Visa restrictions.

As in I know Sydeny is not a regional area, but can I use my 489/491 in Parramatta?

The answer to this is no, all of the Greater Sydeny Area (which extends way beyond Parramatta) is considered non-regional for vias purposes

• Thanks 1