Happy Christmas Holidays

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

On behalf of the Admin team we would like to wish all our members a wonderful Christmas holiday and hope you have a lovely time with your family and friends. Can we also take a moment to stop and think of those who may be alone this Christmas, the elderly or those who have lost a loved one. 
276827DC-5B66-4C57-BF4F-F57CE8E6EAD8.jpeg

On 25/12/2019 at 01:23, Bulya said:

Thanks.  I’m struggling with Postperhetic neuralgia and it’s driving me nuts!  I definitely upset somebody... 

I saw this post and thought it'd be a good opportunity to thank all those in POI who have offered some great advice over the last few months, and wish them a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

But by pure coincidence @Bulya I had shingles 18 months ago, and I'm still suffering with PHN under my arm and around my back. I've broken bones and had a few operations over the years, but in my opinion there's nothing worse than nerve pain. Normal painkillers don't even touch it. It has definitely improved though, albeit very gradually. The only thing I've found that helps is just trying to keep busy, if you can concentrate for long enough - although that's not really an option at 3am! Hope you start improving soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I saw this post and thought it'd be a good opportunity to thank all those in POI who have offered some great advice over the last few months, and wish them a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

But by pure coincidence @Bulya I had shingles 18 months ago, and I'm still suffering with PHN under my arm and around my back. I've broken bones and had a few operations over the years, but in my opinion there's nothing worse than nerve pain. Normal painkillers don't even touch it. It has definitely improved though, albeit very gradually. The only thing I've found that helps is just trying to keep busy, if you can concentrate for long enough - although that's not really an option at 3am! Hope you start improving soon.

Same.  I didn’t realise that I’d had minor shingles  last year and just thought it was a summer rash.  This time it was worse, and I went to the hospital.  Medication doesn’t seem to do much  either.  I’ll be getting the vaccination soon to hopefully stave off further episodes. Hope you get better 

• Like 1

Thankfully my attack of shingles broke out in the middle of the heatwave we had last year (in the UK). I say ‘thankfully’ because I couldn’t stand anything touching my skin for the first month, so I had to sleep without sheets or the duvet. I couldn’t even wear a shirt for weeks , so I was pretty much house-bound because no one really wants to see a semi-naked 50-year-old parading around town, do they?! It took about three months before I could wear clothes all day and get on with normal activities without it driving me mad.

I’m not old enough to get the vaccine, so I'll needed to rely on medication. Acyclovir is an antiviral that can be effective if you take it when the outbreak starts. I now keep a supply in the bathroom cabinet. Amitriptyline helped me get a good night’s rest, although I felt groggy in the morning - also in the aforementioned cabinet! Please don’t take this as medical advice of course; I’m just recounting me own experience.

Looking on the bright side, shingles is like chickenpox - the chances of getting it again after the initial outbreak are low.

Shingles_back.jpg

• Sad 1