Costs of living initially

Carter Parker-Burton

Hi all,

Moving back to the UK (Midlands), what is the recommended amount of money to take back? (2 adults, 1 child) I've seen figures from $7500-$25,000 being thrown around. We will have free accommodation whilst back, staying with family.

How and what are the prerequisites for acquiring a tax number? Do we have to have a residential address? Is this also the same for creating bank accounts?

My partner and I have now had consistent work since leaving school (5 years), As it stands I should be back in the country 2 weeks before starting work and my partner will be actively applying closer to the date we move. Do real estate agents accept past work history and bank statements as a show of solid income? also if we are employed in the UK prior to applying for a rental property is there a certain amount of time they like you to have been working before they'll accept your application?

Hope that is clear enough and not to muddled, apologies if so, any help would be great thanks :)

A tax number do you mean a national insurance number? If so, then if you lived in the UK when you were 16 or older you already have one. It doesn't change.

With housing, if you have a job lined up, then that will be sufficient as long as you can show enough funds for the first months rent an bond.

How much money you need will vary a lot by individual. We did it on a shoestring. For example, are you shipping furnishings? If not, then you will need to budget to buy these. Though that can be done cheaply if necessary. As a guide, I would say, enough to buy a second hand car (£3k), enough for a months rent and bond (£1400) enough for living costs for a month or two (£2k) incidentals (£2k) then it will depend on if you are shipping furnishings. 

• Like 1

You can apply for a NI number online. Pretty easy by all accounts.

Use the address you are staying at for bank accounts etc.You’ll need proof you are staying there. One of our members suggests changing your address on your aussie bank account and getting a statement posted out to that uk address for when you arrive, which will give you a start with id. Don’t put ‘care of’ just list it as if you live there.

You can change your drivers license as well if needed.

Accommodation was by far the biggest expense for me last year so if you are staying with family that will be a big help.

Took me a while to get used to getting paid monthly instead of 2 weekly as well!

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

I found the Halifax quite helpful and a bit flexible...

They shouildn't have been, because it's illegal. I wouldn't advise anyone to bank on getting that same flexibility when it comes to opening an account.  

The mortgage though, that's a different story.   New arrivals can get a mortgage.

51 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

They shouildn't have been, because it's illegal. I wouldn't advise anyone to bank on getting that same flexibility when it comes to opening an account.  

The mortgage though, that's a different story.   New arrivals can get a mortgage.

Flexible in terms of what id they would accept and advising me on what accounts I could have and what would work best, not breaking the law, so don’t see why others wouldn’t get that help.

2 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

Probably.

That says you only need your passport or uk drivers license. The other docs are only if you don’t have either of those. So yes. Pretty straightforward. They were very helpful and understanding that I had just moved back as well. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

That says you only need your passport or uk drivers license. The other docs are only if you don’t have either of those. So yes. Pretty straightforward. They were very helpful and understanding that I had just moved back as well. 🙂

Plus proof of your residential address in the UK, which must be a bank statement or utility bill showing your name exactly s on your id

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, Carter Parker-Burton said:

Hi amber, yeah staying with family is making it so much cheaper for us! 

Thanks for the tips on bank statements and DL's, very helpful!

Monthly payments will definitely be a learning curve! that's budgeting on a whole new level! 

Thank you!

Have a look at the link that @LouDYorkie posted above. Gives you a bit of a guide. 👍