simmo

Xmas Dinner

Yeah me too, would love a good Duck right now........

Sounds very tasty indeed , getting hungry reading it [emoji2]

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

What are you having this year @simmo?

Traditional family dinner?

We have done a mix of traditional (must have Turkey)and roasts/salads since we lived in Australia. To be honest though the 2nd option just turns into trad plus salads so it's a bit of a strange combo (gravy, stuffing, pigs, roasties with salad and prawns)

We are going to be away this year, stsying in accommodation with as kitchen and I AM NOT spending it slaving away- we will get a roast, maybe beef and a chicken and I'm.buying the sides/pre made salads. Bottle of bubbly or special white and we'll be grand. 

Brekkie will probably be bacon, eggs, fruit, pancakes, croissants etc and Mimomas. Less than 10 weeks!!!!

Praying nowhere here or there is in lockdown for the holidays. We need the normality. 

We found a nice place not far that I thought would be nice but they are £75 a head! And with the kids having adult meals now that would be £300 before we even pop a cork🍾

So not there.  

Probably stay at home, get a capon from the farm shop.

It will be lunch on Xmas eve at the National Arboretum, same as last year.  Fantastic views and only a 10-minute drive.  The value for money is impossible to beat.

9 minutes ago, simmo said:

We found a nice place not far that I thought would be nice but they are £75 a head! And with the kids having adult meals now that would be £300 before we even pop a cork🍾

So not there.  

Probably stay at home, get a capon from the farm shop.

It's a rip off eating out on Christmas Day. I think I'd only do that if staying in hotel etc. Much prefer to be @ home on the big day. 

Have you got family nearby to visit or cater for? 

17 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

It's a rip off eating out on Christmas Day. I think I'd only do that if staying in hotel etc. Much prefer to be @ home on the big day. 

Have you got family nearby to visit or cater for? 

Just my dad.  But yes a rip off.  I'll take the familam out the following week for less than half the price.

• Like 1

We always have a hot traditional main course but usually oysters and prawns for entree. Dessert is Christmas Pud, hard sauce, pav or trifle and  and fruit salad. None of the kids like the pud so we knock ourselves out and stuff the lot in. One year when it was stinking hot we only got as far as the entree and spent the rest of the day in the pool .  You never know about the weather in Melbourne, hard to predict.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

We always have a hot traditional main course but usually oysters and prawns for entree. Dessert is Christmas Pud, hard sauce, pav or trifle and  and fruit salad. None of the kids like the pud so we knock ourselves out and stuff the lot in. One year when it was stinking hot we only got as far as the entree and spent the rest of the day in the pool .  You never know about the weather in Melbourne, hard to predict.

Mmmmm Pav....I'm the only one who likes it in my house. I do a mini one or trifle. God I love trifle. 

Usually stinking hot in Perth. Never known a cool Xmas Day. Love it now and cold Xmas not the same somehow....

• Like 1

We have always have the full traditional Christmas lunch. When we lived in Brunei all the waifs and strays were welcome to join us. There were 18 one year, We only had aircon in the bedroom and I was so hot after cooking it, I had to lie down in a darkened cool room before I could serve it up. We always had great fun though

Edited by ramot
  • Like 4

I wonder if we'll get to Tas this year - personally I doubt it.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, unzippy said:

I wonder if we'll get to Tas this year - personally I doubt it.

May your luck change for the better 

The worst thing about Xmas for me as a single person has been when Ive been in places where EVERYTHING closes on Xmas Day, not unlike every Sunday when I first came to Sydney in 1978. For some reason the 'Wowsers' did not mind the cinemas and McDonalds opening.

It looks like I will spend Xmas Day in Surfers Paradise and last time I was here for Xmas many of the bars and restaurants are open so problem solved. Actually, it's not so much that I want to go into any of these places so much as the deadening and depressing effect of walking around silent streets with everything shut.

Of course Surfers Paradise will, Covid permitting, be in holiday mode and mood (much to the Wowsers' irritation) By coincidence I read recently in the Australian that, pre WW1, the non-Labor political parties reacted to the rise of the ALP by forming an alliance with the Wowser Protestant church whose price was a clamp down on drinking and gambling and the introduction of Sunday observance, hence I guess why we always have to endure endless regulation of 'fun' in Anglo-Saxon countries?

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 14:02, MARYROSE02 said:

The worst thing about Xmas for me as a single person has been when Ive been in places where EVERYTHING closes on Xmas Day, not unlike every Sunday when I first came to Sydney in 1978. For some reason the 'Wowsers' did not mind the cinemas and McDonalds opening.

It looks like I will spend Xmas Day in Surfers Paradise and last time I was here for Xmas many of the bars and restaurants are open so problem solved. Actually, it's not so much that I want to go into any of these places so much as the deadening and depressing effect of walking around silent streets with everything shut.

Of course Surfers Paradise will, Covid permitting, be in holiday mode and mood (much to the Wowsers' irritation) By coincidence I read recently in the Australian that, pre WW1, the non-Labor political parties reacted to the rise of the ALP by forming an alliance with the Wowser Protestant church whose price was a clamp down on drinking and gambling and the introduction of Sunday observance, hence I guess why we always have to endure endless regulation of 'fun' in Anglo-Saxon countries?

Times change. Some people just can't be bothered with cooking and baking at home and then facing the massive pile of dirty dishes at Christmas. Its a popular thing now to get out of the house and go to a restaurant, club  or similar for Christmas dinner. Some pre-pack a large picnic lunch and head off to the coast somewhere. You can usually find a good spot at the beach on Christmas day. Its something different.

I hope the wowsers do not spoil your Christmas.

36 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Times change. Some people just can't be bothered with cooking and baking at home and then facing the massive pile of dirty dishes at Christmas. Its a popular thing now to get out of the house and go to a restaurant, club  or similar for Christmas dinner. Some pre-pack a large picnic lunch and head off to the coast somewhere. You can usually find a good spot at the beach on Christmas day. Its something different.

Think of the people who have to work on Christmas Day. Let them have the day off I say.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

Think of the people who have to work on Christmas Day. Let them have the day off I say.

I agree. Nobody should have to work in hospitality/retail on Christmas Day (except volunteers organising community Christmas Lunch events) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I agree. Nobody should have to work in hospitality/retail on Christmas Day (except volunteers organising community Christmas Lunch events) 

What about the people who don't celebrate Xmas? Why can't they work?

2 minutes ago, simmo said:

I suppose they can if they want to. However when a roster is produced for a company that works over Christmas, usually everyone is meant to do their fair share. I know some people put their hand up but their are usually gaps to fill. It's all semantics anyway as will never happen. 

8 minutes ago, simmo said:

They do and usually get paid handsomely for it

57 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Then again there are people that will work if the rewards are there. Over a period of 35 years I would have worked about 30 Christmas days,  the last ten or so without any extra pay. I don't think anyone should be pressured to work in hospitality/retail over Christmas.

7 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Then again there are people that will work if the rewards are there. Over a period of 35 years I would have worked about 30 Christmas days,  the last ten or so without any extra pay. I don't think anyone should be pressured to work in hospitality/retail over Christmas.

Agreed. I've always tried to get the day off. Now my organisation shuts down for the holiday period which is amazing. A proper break. Probably worked less than 10 in nearly 30 years.  My husband has worked nearly every year; Christmas, New Year and all the PH but we've got into the habit of requesting leave now and luckily his current firm usually allow it. 

Once the taxman has his bit the rewards are never quite as lucrative as hoped. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Agreed. I've always tried to get the day off. Now my organisation shuts down for the holiday period which is amazing. A proper break. Probably worked less than 10 in nearly 30 years.  My husband has worked nearly every year; Christmas, New Year and all the PH but we've got into the habit of requesting leave now and luckily his current firm usually allow it. 

Once the taxman has his bit the rewards are never quite as lucrative as hoped. 

I was in Emergency Services. Christmas day was just another shift.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Good on you. The world keep turning......I recall that the Christmas shifts I've worked have had a very different feel. Bittersweet for those requiring medical support or intervention. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

My husband was in the RAF, and then commercial airlines. We got into the habit of celebrating Christmas on any day that he could be with us. Had some pretty rough Christmas’s when his duty roster was changed at the last minute, not easy with three disappointed children.

• Sad 2

On 21/10/2020 at 14:24, Dusty Plains said:

I LOVE that word "Wowser!"

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 16:16, simmo said:

I got my Xmas dinner one year at a Lebanese restaurant in Punchbowl and very grateful for it, with coffee and cake in a Cafe next door.

And on more than one occasion Xmas dinner in  Bangladeshi restaurant near where I live. Come to think of it, Xmas dinner last year was in Zahli, Egyptian or Lebanese restaurant also in Surry Hills. Licensed too.

• Like 2